Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible H.P.Lovecraft

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Default The Collectible H.P.Lovecraft

How is there not a Lovecraft thread here? Hell, there's a Samantha Shannon thread!

Anyway, although I'm at work and don't have access to my books to take pics and do the 37 step "Upload Shuffle" just now, I really wanted to kick off a thread dedicated to that "Old" Gentleman of Providence with my sincere enthusiasm for the recently received (by me) 12 volumes of the PS series LOVECRAFT LIBRARY illustrated by Pete Von Sholly.

Although a pretty dedicated Lovecraft collector, I didn't bite on these for various reasons- until the recent PS sale that cut the price in half for the whole run. I couldn't pass that up and I'm really glad that I didn't. These turned out to be a welcome surprise- something that I seem to have more and more difficulty finding in today's limited edition market, with a lot of "That's nice- put it on the shelf and forget about it" books. These carefully thought-out, and smartly-produced little books demand constant perusal. I think a lot of people were on the fence with the art on these. There's no doubt that Sholly is a fine accomplished artist, but is he right for Lovecraft? I really didn't think so- at first. Especially if you just go by the covers- which seemed too bright and cartoon-y for me. Even after I got the books and realized how different in execution the interior illustrations struck me, the covers still seemed too.. garish, I guess. But, so were the Weird Tales covers back in the day. Not really comparing styles- because Weird Tales' covers were... better, but, I get what Sholly was going for with the tone, perhaps on these covers. And, they're growing on me. (I had a very similar reaction when I got PS's SKELETON CREW- although not bowled over by the cover art, I really liked what Sholly did in the interiors)

But, the real star of these thoughtfully put-together volumes are the contents: all the related stories (even stories by other authors that inspired HPL to write the story at hand are included!), insightful intros and articles by Joshi, Sholly, and various others. I can't put these cool little volumes away. Just ping-ponging through all of them at once. Very neat, I say.

Anybody else get these? Like them? Hate them?

Ron

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Agreed; there must be a thread for HPL (HPL is the man).

Any links for this series? I have the Barnes & Noble "complete works" edition and am not really looking for more than that at this time, but I'm happy to look around, especially given that something notable (such as this) exists.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It's nice to hear this commentary about these editions. I had considered them briefly, but had the same reservations you had. Despite my affection of Lovecraft's works, I actually don't own any limited edition copies of his work, something, perhaps, that I should rectify. Centipede Press has also put out some amazing editions of his work too. A friend from the CD board has posted some of his collections of the CP editions and they look absolutely outstanding.

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Agreed; there must be a thread for HPL (HPL is the man).

Any links for this series? I have the Barnes & Noble "complete works" edition and am not really looking for more than that at this time, but I'm happy to look around, especially given that something notable (such as this) exists.
    Here is the PS page for their full "PS PULPS LIBRARY" line:
    http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/ps-pulps-library-64-c.asp

A large part of the reason for me not getting these as they came out is because they are about $25 each, and they've been released in "threes". That's inching toward $100 when you count shipping. Too rich to buy "all in". The half-price sale was the only way I was going to bite. They're very well done, but- these stories are available virtually everywhere for free and in dozens of different editions. A little pricey for glorified reprints. Still- glad to have them!

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    It's nice to hear this commentary about these editions. I had considered them briefly, but had the same reservations you had. Despite my affection of Lovecraft's works, I actually don't own any limited edition copies of his work, something, perhaps, that I should rectify. Centipede Press has also put out some amazing editions of his work too. A friend from the CD board has posted some of his collections of the CP editions and they look absolutely outstanding.
    You know, as much as a Lovecraft "collector" as I do consider myself, and as much as I practically worship Jerad and all that he does with Centipede Press- I didn't get his Masters of the Weird Tale Lovecraft volume. After careful consideration, and talking with others, I felt that it was ultimately too large and unwieldy for practical purposes. I'll admit to regretting that decision from time to time, but- I'll have to stand by it. I just don't like books that are uncomfortable to read. My all-time favorite edition of any book I've ever owned (and, I had a Deluxe Centipede Salem's Lot for a long time- maybe the greatest edition ever)- is the small Canadian press Heavenly Monkey letterpress edition of Lovecraft's The Shadow Over Innsmouth. It fits so comfortably in the hand and is an absolute pleasure to READ. Just gorgeous.

Still.. kinda' wish I had that Centipede Lovecraft Behemoth in my collection. Kind of.

Ron

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Finally - a Lovecfraft thread - it's been something I've heart-heartedly been meaning to do for a few months now, so nice work Swintek! I've been a Lovecraft fan for years but only finally decided to start collecting him in the last month or so. In fact, I'm so new to collecting him that my couple of purchases are still in transit. I've decided to start with some of the Arkham first editions of my favourite Lovecraft works - I just love their presentation, ut, I'm a bit lost at sea with everything that's out there so would be keen to discuss with more experienced Lovecraft collectors. I'd also be very keen to see photographs of anyone's Lovecraft collections! Post post post...

My Mood
    Relaxed

I agree- post, please! Show us your wares! Gotta be some cool stuff out there. I'll do my best to get something shot and uploaded by the weekend.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    How is there not a Lovecraft thread here?
    There is: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...vecraft-thread

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    How is there not a Lovecraft thread here?
    There is: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...vecraft-thread
    Wait...what?! Oh.... that's the dark side of the site. The place where we don't go. Wait.... we're already halfway there now, aren't we? Hmmm...
    Last edited by swintek; 04-24-2021 at 12:26 AM.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Here is that Heavenly Monkey Shadow Over Innsmouth that I mentioned earlier. The pictures do not do it justice.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Holy smokes, that's gorgeous...reminds me a bit of a Centipede production.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Funny you said that, Ron- when I first got this book- a decade ago, I immediately wrote Jerad at Centipede about it and he was really enthusiastic. Don't know if he ever landed a copy, but, yeah- similar true Fine Press ideals. HM doesn't really do genre stuff, or even fiction for that matter. This was a one-off project for them. Interestingly, the deluxe, lettered in-house uber copy of SOI- is a softcover.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Woah, absolutely beautiful!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is a lovely edition, and I love that you rad this copy (carefully, I presume). When was this released, Swintek?

My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    That is a lovely edition, and I love that you rad this copy (carefully, I presume). When was this released, Swintek?
    I believe HM released this book in 2006. I do read all of my editions! That's the point for me- to read the finest edition available. I don't understand it any other way. I'm not going to kill it by reading it. It'd be like having a fine sports car and never driving it. Just keeping it under a car cover. But- I get that some of you all feel differently, and I respect that.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    I believe HM released this book in 2006. I do read all of my editions! That's the point for me- to read the finest edition available. I don't understand it any other way. I'm not going to kill it by reading it. It'd be like having a fine sports car and never driving it. Just keeping it under a car cover. But- I get that some of you all feel differently, and I respect that.
    I'm in the middle somewhere on the reading the special editions but understand your analogy. Some of my special editions (and first editions) I don't really see as books, but rather works of art that are in book format, so don't intend to read them. But there are others that I do intend to read because they are so beautiful - the King's "coffin box" The Stand is one of these I plan to read.

Country
    Country Flag

Recently collected these. All are 1st / 1sts except for the Dunwich Horror, which is a 1st/ 2nd (finding this in a 1/1, with the $5.00 price on the DJ and in any half-decent condition, has proven very difficult so far).

My Mood
    Relaxed

Those are all great! And look like in pretty good shape, too. I don't have any of those. My Lovecraft collection is pretty much more modern editions. I love the old Arkham's, though. In fact, way back in the middle-late 80's when looking for a good paperback collection of "Best of" stories (I believe there were heavy Dungeons & Dragons references that piqued my curiosity about Lovecraft!), a kind bookseller hand-sold me one of the new (at the time) Joshi corrected text Arkham House hardcover editions of THE DUNWICH HORROR & OTHERS (the Bayless green cover edition). That absolutely gorgeous little book, with gold-stamped boards and calligraphic title designs was the beginning of my love affair with real books (I also discovered Dark Harvest Press at the same time, and that was truly it. I was head over heels). But, yeah- I never had the scratch to chase down first editions. Thanks for posting!

Ron

Country
    Country Flag

Those are all great! And look like in pretty good shape, too. I don't have any of those. My Lovecraft collection is pretty much more modern editions. I love the old Arkham's, though. In fact, way back in the middle-late 80's when looking for a good paperback collection of "Best of" stories (I believe there were heavy Dungeons & Dragons references that piqued my curiosity about Lovecraft!), a kind bookseller hand-sold me one of the new (at the time) Joshi corrected text Arkham House hardcover editions of THE DUNWICH HORROR & OTHERS (the Bayless green cover edition). That absolutely gorgeous little book, with gold-stamped boards and calligraphic title designs was the beginning of my love affair with real books (I also discovered Dark Harvest Press at the same time, and that was truly it. I was head over heels). But, yeah- I never had the scratch to chase down first editions. Thanks for posting!

Ron
    Cheers Ron. I know that Joshi corrected text of Dunwich - an awesome cover. Whenever you have a moment, I'd love to see a photo of your Lovecraft shelf or even some detail of the modern Lovecraft collectibles out there (like your Heavenly Monkey edition). I can't seem to find much across the internet and am very interested. I also have a bunch of other Arkham firsts on their way in the mail, and will be sure to post them.

Country
    Country Flag

I've been recently corresponding with Mike Davis from Lovecraft eZine to do an episode on Lovecraft book collecting. He liked the idea and finally did the episode yesterday. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET58ErR4JLg

Edit: The collecting focus starts around 1 hour, 23 mins in.

My Mood
    Relaxed

Excellent! I'm in. Thanks for the link.

Ron

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

For the record, there is a Lovecraft thread in the Mansion... it is older than this thread, so this thread may be merged with it, unless anybody has a reason to keep them both open!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread is more focused on the collecting of his works than discussing his stories in general. I would keep them separate.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

good point
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Dark Regions have just launched their Cthulhu Mythos Kickstarter Campaign, featuring The Red Brain (S/L) edited by S.T. Joshi (A sequel to the A Mountain Walked anthology).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-regions-press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast