Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Johnny007/John

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    John, I'd love to hear some brief background on how you personally got into collecting King's works (but of course understand if you'd prefer to keep this private). I always find these stories most interesting...
    Antoni – I’m very sorry for the long delay in responding to your query. My health has been less than perfect the last few months but today is a good day so I’ll try to do some writing.

I have always been a collector. When I was young, I collected coins. It was so fulfilling to a young kid to search through 500 pennies and find one or two in good condition that filled a void. However, I left the coins to my younger brother and gradually moved to stamps because I was curious about the different people and cultures in the world. Philately enabled me to improve my knowledge of other countries. I had to buy a globe to find some of the postal jurisdictions! And, I believe that my parents still receive periodic notification of new offerings from the Cook Islands! I was very serious about collection and had a nice start on a U.S. collection.

Things changed rather quickly and very unexpectedly, though. On a warm summer night when I was 22, I made the mistake of trying to drive home from a party at a friend’s house. It was 8 short miles from his parent’s country farm to our small town in southern Wisconsin. I was by myself and I will not bore you with any details. I passed out about 3 miles from home and, while the road curved gradually to the left, my car remained going straight forward. I woke up 2 days later when a doctor asked me to sign a surgical consent. I dislocated two cervical bones in my neck and they were pushing against my spinal cord. I was paralyzed from mid-chest on down and the damage was irreversible. One day I am completely able-bodied and the next day I am a quadriplegic. I had no idea what the future would be like but I spent the next 6 months in the hospital recovering and rehabbing. So, how does this get me to the point of being a Stephen King collector? Please bear with me.

While I was in the hospital, folks would send cards or visit. I received the Peter Benchley book Jaws from a nearby baseball team. I mentioned how nice it was to a friend and later on I received a copy of Carrie. I remarked that I’d never heard of King but was told that I’d probably like it. The books weren’t read until after I was discharged from the hospital, though. In fact, I didn’t read Carrie until the winter of 1980 – my first year at the University of Arizona. ‘Salem’s Lot and The Stand were my next King “reads.”

While I continued collecting stamps, it became more and more obvious that actually handling such small, fragile objects would be a problem. Accidents could happen and very valuable stamps could lose significant value very easily. It was while I completed my B.S. in 1982 that I first contemplated collecting King books. But it wasn’t until 1984 that I sold my stamp collection and turned to books. Books were larger and easier for me to handle…and it seemed like King was collectible.

I collected from about 1984/5 until 1993. I had some good items -- all the 1st editions, all the S/Ls, some correspondence directly with King when he would routinely sign books for fans. My P&J at the time was the first three Dark Tower books #222! I had about 60 SK items of which there were maybe 25 “valuable” items.

I had graduated 3 times from the University of Arizona in the 80s and finally landed a job with the Department of Army in Sierra Vista, AZ. My salary was much lower than I thought it would/should be but at least it was a job. Cost of living in AZ was very doable so things were working out. However, in 1991 I was transferred (not my choice) to the DC area. MY cost of living almost tripled and I was having a difficult time making ends meet. One day I contacted Stu Tinker to see if he wanted to buy my collection and he said “yes!” So my books were packed and put into my van and I left for Bangor immediately after work on a Friday. I drove through the night and arrived at Betts the next morning. Stu and I conducted our business and I was back on the road to Virginia. The money kept me going until I got the promotions so life was good.

Fast forward to 2000. I always wanted to visit and travel to Europe but being disabled presented many challenges for me. I needed someone on the other side who would be able to physically help me so finding that person, along with many other logistic issues, made overseas travel very challenging. But in early June 2000, I decided that I’d get off my ass, so to speak, and do it. I found a lady who is a nurse who could help me while I was in London. She was great and she helped me in at least 10 subsequent trips to London. Anyway, she is indirectly the reason why I returned to SK collecting.

Her primary patient was English aristocracy and a very well-known and important bibliophile. I didn’t know how famous she was until years later. I think her correct title was Viscountess Eccles, but I knew of her as Lady Eccles. Through various conversations I had with my nurse, Lady Eccles insisted that I return to collecting books – “even if it is Stephen King” she joked! I told my friend that maybe I would return to collecting…and I did (slowly) in early 2003. The first book I bought back was a limited Firestarter. I visited London again in June 2003 and was told that Lady Eccles was not in great shape. A month or two later she passed away.

So that’s how I started, stopped and started again. This was a long post so I apologize if I exceeded the size of posts or for boring anyone with this post.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh my!! John are you still paralyzed from the chest down? I had no idea!! This was a great read too... thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Kris,

Yes, the damage was irreversible and permanent. It is not that big of a deal and there's only a few things that I haven't been able to do...YET!

John

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that's a hell of a journey, John. And cheers to Lady Eccles for getting you back into collecting. From what you've shown us, I think your collection would make her proud.
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What can I say, John? Thank you so much for your response. I find it fascinating to hear the different roads collector's travel to get where they are, but I was not expecting this. An incredible and inspiring story, John. And, with the amazing collection you have, we can all thank Lady Eccles that you took another shot at it and are sharing it with this community. Cheers and thanks again for this great read and insight.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    What can I say, John? Thank you so much for your response. I find it fascinating to hear the different roads collector's travel to get where they are, but I was not expecting this. An incredible and inspiring story, John. And, with the amazing collection you have, we can all thank Lady Eccles that you took another shot at it and are sharing it with this community. Cheers and thanks again for this great read and insight.
    Well said. Thanks for sharing your story John.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quite the journey you've experienced, John! Thank you for sharing!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome story and an amazing collection! I love the use of the word, "Yet". What a great spirit to have! Unfortunately, for some reason, your photos are only showing up as the dreaded 'x' for me .
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Awesome story and an amazing collection! I love the use of the word, "Yet". What a great spirit to have! Unfortunately, for some reason, your photos are only showing up as the dreaded 'x' for me .
    John-

I finally found my way here...I too can only see Xs, no pictures (UGH). Will try my other laptop. As you know, I'm one of the "lucky" ones to have seen your OLD bookshelves! Quite the thread/story...I LOVED a peek inside what got you started and "restarted" in collecting. Thanks!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Well...it's been 4+ years since I promised to keep adding to this thread. But life always gets in the way of best intentions. I finally found someone who can photograph my books. But there is a lot to do and this will not be done as quickly as I'd like due to conflicting schedules. I'm still in the market for suitable bookcases for my books. I need more wall space so I took all the SK books from various locations and moved them into my office. And you'll see that many of my books are still in the original bubble wrap for protection. Here's what things look like today. The plan is to photo each book independently to show signatures, inscriptions, 1st edition identifiers, etc. So please bear with me during the construction.

John

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    Well...it's been 4+ years since I promised to keep adding to this thread. But life always gets in the way of best intentions. I finally found someone who can photograph my books. But there is a lot to do and this will not be done as quickly as I'd like due to conflicting schedules. I'm still in the market for suitable bookcases for my books. I need more wall space so I took all the SK books from various locations and moved them into my office. And you'll see that many of my books are still in the original bubble wrap for protection. Here's what things look like today. The plan is to photo each book independently to show signatures, inscriptions, 1st edition identifiers, etc. So please bear with me during the construction.

John
    Sounds like an amazing project, John and I can't wait to see it.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a look at an entertainment center filled to the top and bottom of books. There will be similar views of the same going forward.

John

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post

Here's a look at an entertainment center filled to the top and bottom of books. There will be similar views of the same going forward.

John
    John wow!! Are those 2nd Salem’s? They all look so nice! It’s the last book I need for my 1st’s to be done.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A little more of the view.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

SK collectors with good eyes will catch hints of some of the items.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I spy all kinds of good stuff in there. Curious to know about the 'Salem's as well.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Kris,

Only 1 of those copies is a 'Salem's Lot 1st edition 2nd state. Take a look at page 3 for some more SL pictures. I DO have pictures of all of the SLs so I'll add those to this thread if I have time today.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Similar to the 1st picture today but better shows the "black tower" on the right.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A few proofs might interest some people. So glad that I've been able to be relevant in the SK proof-collecting world.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I might have time to show some details on some of those PB editions a little later.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Are the Gunslingers 1 and 2? Also, I noticed you have two US On Writings. I'm in need of one if you're looking to unload a copy

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Part of another table with books on top of books. The 2 shipping boxes contain recent purchases of limited editions of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple of different views of previous photos.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A side view of the entertainment unit. Some recent purchases and some old purchases.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Brian,

The Gunslingers are 1st editions. They are part of The Gunslinger set shown on #69 in this thread. Sorry, I don't have any books for sale at this time. I need to match actual books to my inventory spreadsheet before anything leaves.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast