Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Johnny007/John

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A UK On Writing may seem to be an odd book for me to highlight on my collection page -- especially since neither one of those books shown is signed. One is a fairly hard-to-find copy in fine condition. And the other is an extremely rare copy. Not many people have seen the rarity before. It's estimated that there are fewer than 10 in existence -- likely fewer than that. Can you pick out the rarity?

John

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

So these are two separate books? Well, besides the sticker, the picture on top of King has him smiling. The bottom one does not. Plus the coloring is different.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Tabitha King submitted photos for the cover of this book. Everything went perfectly until King himself saw the book's cover. He did not like that he appeared to be "grumpy" in the picture. So, at the last minute, all original covers were destroyed and replaced with the "happy" King picture. John Hanic considered this to be a proof copy cover, but I'm not sure about it. This was John's copy. I know Hutch has copy a and Bob probably has one, too. But they are the only copies I'm aware of. Here's a side-to-side look at their covers and spines. The differences are subtle but clearly visible. Hope you enjoy.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    So these are two separate books? Well, besides the sticker, the picture on top of King has him smiling. The bottom one does not. Plus the coloring is different.
    They are different DJs, yes.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw this copy on Lloyd Currey's website, but the price always scared me away. Finally, I just decided that I had to have it. There were too many great autographs on this copy to miss out. Near 40, I believe. So I called Lloyd and we worked out a deal that made both of us happy. There were 1,000 copies given out at the convention. Although not pictured, this is copy number 586.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

My signed collection of The Plant 1-3 proof, numbered, and lettered editions is finally complete. The lettered editions can be found on this thread starting at #113. The next few posts will highlight the chapbooks inscribed to Connie Sayre, a Viking Penguin VP and Marketing Director in the 80s. Here is The Plant Number One, #138.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

More will follow after supper.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Below is The Plant Number Two, #130, also inscribed to Connie Sayre.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

And here is The Plant Number Three, #122, inscribed to Connie Sayre. I also have the red numbered Eyes of the Dragon inscribed to her, but I'll post that with the other EOTD copies I have. Hope you like this.

John

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Wow, I remember John telling me once I was missing one particular edition of ON WRITING, and now there it is!
    I assume the publisher's promo sheet is enclosed?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The next set of The Plant consists solely of a designers copy, a blank copy and a designer's proof copy (aka proofs). I was lucky to find them in the first place. I purchased them from a Chicago DJ on eBay. I had never seen a set of The Plant proofs together before that auction/BIN, let alone signed copies. I was new to copies of The Plant so I consulted Stu Tinker and David Williamson before I went ahead and bought the set. I had to sell them in 2015 with my other proofs but I was able to repurchase them late last year. I'm not sure if there are any other complete signed proof sets of The Plant in the wild. Below is the complete set along with an aftermarket slipcase.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Wow, I remember John telling me once I was missing one particular edition of ON WRITING, and now there it is!
    I assume the publisher's promo sheet is enclosed?
    Steve,

There was no Publisher's letter when I received this copy, unfotunately.

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The Plant part one proof below:

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The Plant part two proof below:

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

And last for tonight, The Plant part three proof below:

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Very eeeeeenterestink!

Really, quite impressive. I've got designer proofs of 1 and 2, but they are not signed. Never did get part 3 though.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    Tabitha King submitted photos for the cover of this book. Everything went perfectly until King himself saw the book's cover. He did not like that he appeared to be "grumpy" in the picture. So, at the last minute, all original covers were destroyed and replaced with the "happy" King picture. John Hanic considered this to be a proof copy cover, but I'm not sure about it. This was John's copy. I know Hutch has copy a and Bob probably has one, too. But they are the only copies I'm aware of. Here's a side-to-side look at their covers and spines. The differences are subtle but clearly visible. Hope you enjoy.

John
    John got his copy from me.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

John

Those are cool, but I particularly like the "On writing" early copy.
    Definitely rare and ultra cool !
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

John
    John got his copy from me.
    Alan,

I'm not surprised! You had (and still have) some of the nicest and rarest books out there. I'm still lamenting the eBay "tie" Chris and I had over your UK Night Shift proof back about 10-12 years ago!

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Jeremy!

John

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I have an appointment in an hour, and I must prep for it. There's not much I can do in the time before I depart, so this post will just provide a little tease of what is coming later today. I have always been a big fan of King's Cycle of the Werewolf and the artistry of Berni Wrightson. So, my next posts will involve the COTW. I know how difficult it is to find a DJ without light damage to the spines. I've had a few in superb condition over time but what you see below is what I have left. Not the greatest to look at, right (the spines)? I hope you'll find what comes later a bit more fun and interesting. There will also be an original framed Wrightson prelim to show after I return from my appointment. See you later.

John

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Holy you know what. Those plant sets are amazing. Simply amazing. And the CotW looks good also. They look better than my first ed.
    Can't wait to see what else you have to show us.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing these rare treasures.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Always nice to see completed sets of The Plant. One that is very high on my want list.

I also had to go check my copy of On Writing. It's a fine copy, pretty much untouched since I purchased it on release (over 20 years ago!) but its the standard cover.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, COTW time. The two below are inscribed 1st editions - 1 of 7,500. The first book is NF with a new slipcase. The DJ is rather poor (2nd from left above) but I enjoyed the long inscription and the price from VFB was very much what I expected at that point in time. Long story short, I loved the long inscription and I got a great deal!

I received the copy below in a trade for one of my red roman numeral (IV of X) 'Salem's Lot copies. There were more books that I received in the trade along with a tidy sum of cash. Despite not being in the best condition (DJ), the association inscription is totally fantastic for a number of reasons. Bill Cohen is the former mayor of Bangor, Maine (1971-72). He was also a Maine Congressman (1973-79) and then a Maine Senator from 1979-1997. He then became the 1st Republican to serve a Democrat President when he accepted the Secretary of Defense position at the end of 1996. If you pay closely, you'll notice that King inscribed this book to the then Senator Cohen on the 20th anniversary of the JFK assassination. This book was part of Cohen's personal Senate library, as well. Anyway, this is all-in-all a simple inscription. But the association and the date elevate this to a level that makes me want to keep it for a while.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast