Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Worlds Greatest Drummer

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Worlds Greatest Drummer

The favorite music video thread got me thinking about Rush, the Greatest Band To Ever Walk The Earth.

While Neil Peart is generally considered to be the greatest living drummer, there are three videos presented, and i ask you to vote from these three to select The Worlds Greatest Drummer

1. Buddy Rich

This guy was a freak of nature. His speed was unlike anything before or after.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgeX9iYOFSQ"]YouTube - drum solo by buddy rich (1970)[/ame]

2. Neil Peart

In this video he pays tribute to buddy Rich, he gets my vote as The Worlds Greatest Drummer.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIchqJoxFQ"]YouTube - Neil Peart drum solo (Buddy Rich Memorial concert)[/ame]

3. Stevie Wonder

If you have never seen this before, behold the Wonder that is Stevie. He is/was a amazing musical force. I am a drummer as well, and this is one of the greatest drum solos ever.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBA4vWQRBA0"]YouTube - Stevie Wonder Drum Solo[/ame]
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. He is the drum.

Roland would have understood.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

A) +1 for Stevie. He is the most under-rated drummer bc nobody ever mentions him. On the Jimi Hendrix BBC cd, Jimi does a brief cover of Stevie's "I Was Made to Love Her" with Stevie on drums. AMAZING!

B) Buddy Rich is awesome, but Max Roach, Elvin Jones, and especially Tony Williams could drum circles around him.

C) Peart is very good, but a bit over-rated for rock drummers. Personally I'd take Ginger Baker over him in a heartbeat.

Now, as for my real answer to the question, and only Frunobulax will prob know who I am talking about, but the greatest living drummer is Joey Baron, who is the default drummer for all of John Zorn's projects. Anyone who can be the timekeeper for a band like Naked City who changes genres at the drop of a hat will get my vote every time.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I am ?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Niel Peart, I could be mistaken on who it was, has a problem with his brain in which actually helps him keep beats.

I'm not going to vote, though. while these drummers have skill I can't actually call any of them the greatest drummer. I've heard/seen drummers than can go just as fast, if not close with double base and twice as many drums to hit. So many drummers today are crazy insane, especially once you get into the various forms of metal music. I often don't care about the individuals in a band, I just listen to them if it sounds good and it ends there.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

I got to throw Bonham in there. I like the story about how he used to use two bass drums until the other members of the band took one away because it was too much. When you can over power those three guys, that is something.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Good on ya Tel, I was just popping in to give Bonham a shout

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

NEIL PEART. Fuckers!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

That Buddy Rich video was awesome though. I had always heard of him but never seen him play. And the Stevie Wonder one didn't work.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    That Buddy Rich video was awesome though. I had always heard of him but never seen him play. And the Stevie Wonder one didn't work.

Should work now, or copy/paste this;

Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBA4vWQRBA0
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I got to throw Bonham in there. I like the story about how he used to use two bass drums until the other members of the band took one away because it was too much. When you can over power those three guys, that is something.
    Using two base drums is incredibly common.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Yeah, I know. It was the fact of what he did with two that made it such a good story.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I was thinking the same thing!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

But that's cheating. I only listed a choice of three.
    Rules and all.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post

But that's cheating. I only listed a choice of three.
    Rules and all.
    But, wouldn't it be more interesting opened up to all drummers, to decide which is best? I mean you picked some great ones, but there are other great drummers too.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Sai Joshua is on a distinguished road Sai Joshua's Avatar

I have to go with Buddy Rich on this one. I have heard of more drummers basing their styles and goals on him than anyone else, including Neal Peart, who pays homage to the man on this YouTube video on this page. I had a buddy in college who actually studied under Neal Peart, he is an awesome drummer, and Stevie, WOW! He is awesome!!!! Good 3 choices Brice.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Joshua View Post
    I have to go with Buddy Rich on this one. I have heard of more drummers basing their styles and goals on him than anyone else, including Neal Peart, who pays homage to the man on this YouTube video on this page. I had a buddy in college who actually studied under Neal Peart, he is an awesome drummer, and Stevie, WOW! He is awesome!!!! Good 3 choices Brice.
    Yea, they are good choices, but it wasn't me who gave them.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai Joshua View Post
    Yea, they are good choices, but it wasn't me who gave them.

Perhaps if a few more choice of are posted I'll ask this to be deleted and make a poll.

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Even though he's not alive, I have to send some love out to Keith Moon.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

I was wondering how long before someone brought him up.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    It may be common now, but it certainly was not then. A handful of jazz drummers did in the 1940's, and it became somewhat popular in the 60's in rock, but bc of people like Bonham and Keith Moon and Ginger and later Nick Mason who made it as common as it is now.

BTW, Bonham and Moon both rock. The category could be narrowed down to best rock drummer because otherwise I could sit here all day and name jazz drummers who would make even the best of the rock drummers pale by comparison. Of course, I am comfortable with my pick of Joey Baron as he plays every style and all of them better than anyone else.

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Neil Peart gets my vote after seeing him live in action last year in Birmingham England. The drum solo he perform that night was jaw dropping fantastic.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Default All worth a mention

Ginger Baker Cream
    Carter Beauford Dave Matthews Band Under the Table and Dreaming
    John Bonham Led Zeppelin
    Terry Bozzio Frank Zappa Zappa inNew York The Black Page
    Bill Bruford Yes Fragile Long Distance Runaround
    Danny Carey Tool Opiate Opiate
    Phil Collins Genesis
    Stewart Copeland Police Regatta de Blanc Walking on the Moon
    Liberty Devito Billy Joel The Stranger Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
    Steve Gadd Steely Dan Aja Aja
    David Garibaldi Tower of Power Tower of Power What is Hip?
    Micheal Giles King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King 21st Century Schizoid Man
    Manu Katche’ Peter Gabriel So In Your Eyes
    Stan Lynch Tom Petty
    Mitch Mitchell Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland All Along the Watchtower
    Joseph Modeliste The Meters Funkify Your Life Cissy Strut
    John Molo Bruce Hornsby Harbor Lights China Doll
    Keith Moon The Who Who Are You Who Are You
    Rod Morgenstein Dixie Dregs Divided We Stand
    Ian Paice Deep Purple When We Rock, We Rock, and When We Roll, We Roll Hush
    Carl Palmer Emerson, Lake & Palmer Tarkus Tarkus
    Neil Peart Rush Hemispheres La Villa Strangiato
    Simon Phillips Pete Townshend White City Give Blood
    Jeff Porcaro Toto Toto IV Rosanna
    Danny Seraphine Chicago Chicago Transit Authority Questions 67 & 68
    Steve Smith Journey Escape Escape
    Ringo Starr The Beatles White Album
    Robert Wyatt Soft Machine Live at the Paradiso 10:30 Returns to the Bedroom

The answer is within

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    Ginger Baker Cream
    Carter Beauford Dave Matthews Band Under the Table and Dreaming
    John Bonham Led Zeppelin
    Terry Bozzio Frank Zappa Zappa inNew York The Black Page
    Bill Bruford Yes Fragile Long Distance Runaround
    Danny Carey Tool Opiate Opiate
    Phil Collins Genesis
    Stewart Copeland Police Regatta de Blanc Walking on the Moon
    Liberty Devito Billy Joel The Stranger Scenes from an Italian Restaurant
    Steve Gadd Steely Dan Aja Aja
    David Garibaldi Tower of Power Tower of Power What is Hip?
    Micheal Giles King Crimson In the Court of the Crimson King 21st Century Schizoid Man
    Manu Katche’ Peter Gabriel So In Your Eyes
    Stan Lynch Tom Petty
    Mitch Mitchell Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland All Along the Watchtower
    Joseph Modeliste The Meters Funkify Your Life Cissy Strut
    John Molo Bruce Hornsby Harbor Lights China Doll
    Keith Moon The Who Who Are You Who Are You
    Rod Morgenstein Dixie Dregs Divided We Stand
    Ian Paice Deep Purple When We Rock, We Rock, and When We Roll, We Roll Hush
    Carl Palmer Emerson, Lake & Palmer Tarkus Tarkus
    Neil Peart Rush Hemispheres La Villa Strangiato
    Simon Phillips Pete Townshend White City Give Blood
    Jeff Porcaro Toto Toto IV Rosanna
    Danny Seraphine Chicago Chicago Transit Authority Questions 67 & 68
    Steve Smith Journey Escape Escape
    Ringo Starr The Beatles White Album
    Robert Wyatt Soft Machine Live at the Paradiso 10:30 Returns to the Bedroom
    That's an impressive list of drummers alinda. Ever listen to Brian Downey of Thin Lizzy? He is an incredible drummer but very underrated.

My Mood
    In Love

Yeah, that happens alot. Ive actually known some fantastic drummers,
    and I'm not all that bad m'self at times....You should hear me in my car
    (my poor steering wheel) It looks like I'm having seizures sometimes!! I love jaw dropping amazing, what a show that must have been.

The answer is within

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast