Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Susan Delgado *DT4 spoilers*

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Susan Delgado *DT4 spoilers*

I think the girl deserves a thread, don't you think?
    And there are so many kinds of opinions about her.
    So? What do you think about her? Did you feel sorry for her? Was she a gunslinger or a simple hot cowgirl?
    Some people told me that she was too perfect and even her death was perfect, too. Interesting views. They are far away from mine.

What about you?

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I was one of the people who wanted to see that girl burned at the stake under my first impressions of her. Then after rereading WaG for the FIFTH (yes it took five times) and reading the comics, my opinion has greatly changed. I felt sorrow at the time of her death, and even hated and blamed Roland for a small part of it. I wished she could have lived on, and if not able to spend her life as Rolands wife on a ranch, then atleast travel with him and the questing ka-tet. But, given my belief in ka, I also feel that the end would have come with or without Roland's love or arrival. And to finish up, she may not have been a gunslinger at the time of her death, but in time, she would have become one.

(And, dear, I believe you have a spelling error.) Sunglinger=gunslinger

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I think the story needed the interlude, and it served to fill in the back story well. She was a tragedy, but she was no gunslinger.
    His description of her reaching self induced climax was tantalizing.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I liked Susan. She was forced into a terrible situation by her aunt [and by the people who killed her father], but was able to, in my opinion, rise above that situation and try to take control of her own life. the results were tragic, but she died free rather than being forced to use her own body against her will. was she a gunslinger? no, i'd not say that. she was certainly able to handle herself in a tight situation, but not a gunslinger.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, Brian.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Thank you, Brian.
    For what?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Thank you, Brian.
    For what?
    For letting me know about the spelling error.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

No Problem

I liked it, it was like, bumhug.

Traveler fatbrett2 is on a distinguished road

i wish i got to burn spit on her and throw cornhusks at her while she burned.

CHARYOU TREE!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So you're saying you LOVE Susan Delgado? Is that it?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Ageless Stranger is on a distinguished road Ageless Stranger's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fatbrett2 View Post

CHARYOU TREE!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    So you're saying you LOVE Susan Delgado? Is that it?
    Bwahahahahaha!
    "May your luck rise, Roland" -Cuthbert Allgood

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fatbrett2 View Post

CHARYOU TREE!!!
    Awwww that's sweet.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What do you think about her? ?I felt sorry for her because she was trapped in that situation - she kind of highlights the decay of Mejis in the sense that she one of the only true ones left who want to farm and live like her father did whilst around her people are in cahoots with Farson. She is a contrqast to those around her.

Was she a gunslinger or a simple hot cowgirl? As Roland says of some of the women in WOC she had a hunter's heart not a Gunslinger - there was some deep steel in her I think. Plus Roland would not have fallen for someone ordinary.

Some people told me that she was too perfect and even her death was perfect, too. Interesting views. This is an interesting view indeed she is kind of like the tragic maiden. Her death reminds of Victorian era novels whereby fallen women always end of dead. Fallen in the sense that she had sex outside of wedlock - although with Roland who wouldnt :fire:

I was sad when she died the whole part leading up to that is disturbing how the whole town turns

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

Susan seems to cause strong feelings in a lot of readers, but I was always fairly neutral to her. Partly because I knew she was going to die, and partly because she simply struck me as more of a idealization than a well rounded character.

I know why she was such an idealization; she's supposed to symbolize/embody everything that Roland gave up as a youth to pursue the Tower (especially since she was pregnant when she died) but it just made her character pretty meh in my opinion. I was more intriuged by the story that surrounded her than her character, if that makes sense. (I do prefer her to Aileen in the comics, who might as well be called Mary Sue and have "I am a Robin Furth self-insertion" stamped on her shirt.)

I don't think she was a gunslinger, but she had guts: I dont think Roland is capable of loving someone who doesn't have a great deal of courage. I think she's also supposed to symbolize a lot of what's gone wrong with Mid-World and how the instiutions are crumbling: the fact that a basically good girl finds herself with little option but to whore herself to her mayor.

I thought her death was one of the most horrifying deaths in the whole series, and one of the creepiest examples of King's writing. Not just the matter of the death but how the whole town, including people she knew and was friends with, participated in it. Mothers and children and kids she had played with. I know King was going for a "The Lottery" vibe there and he did masterfully.

As a character, by herself, Susan falls just a little flat to me. Of course, we only really get one book to know her. But her purpose in the series, I think, is masterfully done by King.

Along the Path of the Beam Mrs. Underwood is on a distinguished road Mrs. Underwood's Avatar

I think the most tragic thing about all that happened in the fourth novel was that no one was to blame. King has a way of writing circumstances to show that the characters are unaware of certain obstacles or situations. It's easy for us, as the audience, to want to act like everything was so obvious and so-and-so should've caught that and saved the day, but that's just it. They aren't omniscient like the author and reader are. The idea of someone getting rescued in the nick of time, despite that being really convenient and impossible, actually bothers me more. So while I thought Susan was great and added a lot to Roland's back story, I can see why it had to happen that way.

As for whether she was a gunslinger, the idea is not whether she'd achieved it, but whether she had the potential to. Obviously she'd never been trained, and no one wants to put that label on someone who hasn't been taught properly. But did she have the potential? Yes, I believe so.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kronz is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

She's one of my favorites. I have cried at her demise every time but I think it's because of Cordelia. If not for that part maybe I would keep it together but that's just too much for me.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree that she had steel within her, but I don't think she was gunslinger potential. I think that was made very clear when she rescued the lads from jail. I don't intend that to put her down though, i.e. the fact that she wasn't a natural gunslinger but went ahead made her all the braver.

As for the character... I have mixed feelings about her. She wan't a favourite character of mine and some of the 'romantic' stuff in the book made me want to wince. It's an interesting point that maybe she works better as a symbol rather than a character.

I thought it was interesting that in Susan's death scene, which was rather horrific, the Writer seems to show her a degree of mercy. "She was not aware of pain at the end, only heat." (My paraphrasing from memory, so the quote might not be exact.)

One thought that strikes me, if she had lived, I think she and Roland would still have been destined for heartbreak. The moment the Grapefruit showed Roland that vision of the Tower, I think he was hooked. At some point, I think he would have left her,if she didn't die in the later conflict with Farson's forces of course. He might have delayed though and things could well have been all the worse for it! Not that things would have happened different in her case, what with ka raising it's ugly head, and all.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Hey - I'm popping this thread up, because after a recent re-listening ( listened on audio cd during a road trip ) ... I basically realized that I cannot stand this character.

Now, Brice, mister ... you said you liked her - can you explain why?!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's been awhile since I've read DT, but while I was reading IV, I don't think that I minded her at all. I thought her death was pretty tragic, which I feel added to her character development, even if she was just a "stepping stone" character.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Gay

Ricky - I agree it was an unfortunate death. I'm talking about her life. She was a spine-less character, one I cannot imagine Roland falling in love with ( even a 14-nearly-15 year old boy ). I can't believe how subservient she was, even when given some power by Rhea.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Ricky - I agree it was an unfortunate death. I'm talking about her life. She was a spine-less character, one I cannot imagine Roland falling in love with ( even a 14-nearly-15 year old boy ). I can't believe how subservient she was, even when given some power by Rhea.
    Like I said, it's been awhile so I really can't comment on her life. Remind me...what made her spine-less? DTIV was my least favorite, so it's the one I remember least.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Gay

I enjoy Wizard and Glass, because I just love Cuthbert Allgood, but honestly - Susan nearly drove me insane.

First - she's about the most whiney character, ever. She's all "oh Roland, save me". I was like - WOMAN! Stand up and freaking save yourself. You're selling your body, your virginity, for some land and a few horses. If you're so upset about it, do something.

When Rhea gives her some power - ie. Thorin can't sleep with her until after the Reap, she completely just caves and lets him ( not once, but twice ) feel her up and come in his pants against her. She's disgusted by it the first time, yet allows it to happen a second time. All she had to do was call out. Make a freakin noise. Do something!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    WOMAN! Stand up and freaking save yourself. You're selling your body, your virginity, for some land and a few horses. If you're so upset about it, do something.
    First off, this is totally quotable material.

I could barely stand Roland’s little “adventures” with Cuthbert, etc. I just couldn’t believe that, as young as they were, they were going around plotting, killing, and having sex. Sure it's a different world than Jake, Eddie, and Susannah came from, but come on!

/rant

So I guess your disgust of Susan equates to my disgust of about 75% of the novel.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok Turtlex...I'm here.

And I'll reiterate (and elaborate on) what I said in the other forum.

Yes, Susan was a cookie cutter, helpless damsel. But, considering that his mother appeared to be something of a helpless damsel I can see how a teenage Roland would fall for Susan. We like to think that Roland, being the ultra self reliant badass that he is would fall for a stronger woman but I don't think so. He might want a stronger woman ideally but he's the type that would fall head over heels for the damsel that needs to be protected and/or saved. The hard rock tends to love the delicate flower. And A LOT of men tend to be drawn to women that are like their mothers. It all makes perfect sense to me. Was Susan annoying in her helplessness? Yeah, I guess. But whether you like her or not, Susan's damsel was matched Roland's knight.

But I will say that King took this cliche' a bit too far. But then, DT contains a lot of Steve's self indulgences. I've always said that Roland is King's fantasy self. I'll add here that I believe that Susan (and to an extent, Gabrielle) are King's fantasy woman.

My Mood
    Gay

Hey Coz !!

Okay, first - I never really thought of Gab as a damsel in distress. Also, was Susan? Really? I mean, she was a teenager ( 16 right? ) who was convinced ( though she agreed - and 16 isn't exactly young enough to say she didn't know better ) to sell herself. Is she in distress, or just kinda stupid? And I don't say naive because she knew exactly what she was doing ... prostituting herself.

He might want a stronger woman ideally but he's the type that would fall head over heels for the damsel that needs to be protected and/or saved.
    This does makes sense to me and frankly, it never occurred to me.

I mean, we have seen how much Roland admires, respects and loves Susannah ( okay, different kind of love ). How can he then keep thinking that a girl who allows herself to be pimped out for a few ponies is the love of his life?

I guess part of my "issue" with her is that she didn't have to be a damsel in distress. I mean, she did have some power. And she admitted to regretting her decisions ... why the hell then didn't she actually stand up and do something about it? Wouldn't Roland have respected her more then? He could have *gasp* even helped!!

I'm just surprised at the character, I guess. I mean, King has written some really great female characters, this one - I was literally upset with her at her own stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast