Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Remakes

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    ok peoples. i had quoted tons of stuff and it turned into almost two pages so i decided against it

i will try and remember my arguments;-
    prior to reading all the posts - my main comment was going to be that any remake is good if the original was bad.However, this argument became fractured whilst reading everyone’s comments as i realised everybody had different ideas over what was bad (coz seemed to demonstrate this with his full list that had me in turns chortling, gasping in horror and wanting to slap him with a wet fish)

personal opinion (on the ones i can remember)
    Elm Street - the first film only was good before it went stupid. This original film was aimed at my then age group and gave me nightmares for years to come. taking a bath just never had the same lie back and relax quality. i dont see the point of a remake due to the fact that they failed so miserably with 2,3 etc etc
    hell raiser this is a strange one, again i dont see why they would want to remake, i only watched this a few years ago, but the oldish ness of it helped the whole creepy feel. And any new film will have too much gloss
    footloose – this film was quite a cult film for my age group, so I can see how people would not want it touched. I am more curious as to the why, these type of films where very popular in the 80’s but I cant see the youth of today being as captured by it as we were then.
    Batman – to me, there had never been a good adaption. When I heard it was being redone as batman begins I was very cautious, but this is now one of my all time favourite films as it went in the direction it was always meant to go in. dark dark and darker
    Charlie and the chocolate factory – another strange one, I know a lot of people love the new one with Mr Depp in, and they feel it closer followed the book. for me though Gene hackman is and always will be Willy Wonker – but that’s just the softie in me.
    The Day the earth stood still – I love my classics, and this is probabley one of my oldy favourites. I must say though that I got my arm twisted to go and see the new one of the cinema, and I was curious how they would adapt it to the big screen. It was a meeeh one, they did an ok job, and Keanu reeves did a swell job as the emotionless Klaatu (it matched his acting skills perfectly)
    The same holds with the war of the worlds, but I have rambled on far too long, and taken up far too much of your time

Writers, directors, and producers need to find themes and concepts that work today instead of dredging up old movies, adding half a cup of flour, a tablespoon of ginger root, and a generous helping of T&A and hoping that's good enough to update it for a new generation.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think Liv Tyler is a bad actress. No, she isn't dazzling, but I'd give her an average rating at worst.

And no, the thought of fellatio pounding in my brain in hot deep resonating bursts every time her image is displayed to me has nothing to do with this...nope...none whatsover.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Cozener View Post
    I don't think Liv Tyler is a bad actress. No, she isn't dazzling, but I'd give her an average rating at worst.
    In what?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

a rating of 'average' would be her greatest performance ever.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'd go with "average" ( maybe ) for That Thing You Do, but I'd be stretching it cause that's probably the best I've seen her and it happens to be on of my favorite bad movies.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Writers, directors, and producers need to find themes and concepts that work today instead of dredging up old movies, adding half a cup of flour, a tablespoon of ginger root, and a generous helping of T&A and hoping that's good enough to update it for a new generation.
    *sigh* "A" for effort, Woofer. That is an awesome summary of the on-topic discussion.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

And no, the thought of fellatio pounding in my brain in hot deep resonating bursts every time her image is displayed to me has nothing to do with this...nope...none whatsover.
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Monty Python

"Well, that's the end of the film. Now, here's the meaning of life.
    ... Well, it's nothing very special. Uh, try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations. And, finally, here are some completely gratuitous pictures of penises to annoy the censors and to hopefully spark some sort of controversy, which, it seems, is the only way, these days, to get the jaded, video-sated public off their fucking arses and back in the sodding cinema. Family entertainment? Bollocks. What they want is filth: people doing things to each other with chainsaws during tupperware parties, babysitters being stabbed with knitting needles by gay presidential candidates, vigilante groups strangling chickens, armed bands of theatre critics exterminating mutant goats. Where's the fun in pictures?"
    -- The Meaning of Life

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw Clash of the Titans.

Reaction: eh, s'alright...

Liked the Bobo reference. Glad they didn't take that any further.

Pretty damn cheesy dialogue though and acting. Some of the action scenes were a little anticlimactic.

Like how
    SPOILER

Sort of an unanswered question when
    SPOILER

Given that I thought it was "eh alright, but cheesy", and that I'm pretty leniant when it comes to movies, even when they're remakes, the lot of you will probably blow chunks at the screen.

Really, it's just good for popcorn and that's all. Don't expect to see an epic to rival Lord of the Rings.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Country
    Country Flag

Here's something that might help: she gets those lips from her dad.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by ArtherEld View Post
    Saw Clash of the Titans.

Pretty damn cheesy dialogue though and acting. Some of the action scenes were a little anticlimactic.

Like how
    SPOILER

SPOILER

Given that I thought it was "eh alright, but cheesy", and that I'm pretty leniant when it comes to movies, even when they're remakes, the lot of you will probably blow chunks at the screen.

Really, it's just good for popcorn and that's all. Don't expect to see an epic to rival Lord of the Rings.
    Bolding mine --> So it's a lot like the original?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtherEld View Post
    Saw Clash of the Titans.

Like how
    SPOILER

SPOILER

Bolding mine --> So it's a lot like the original?
    Very much so. If the original had been made now, probably would look a lot like the remake.

I will say that the dialogue and acting reminded me a lot of Krull, more so than the original Clash of the Titans. Krull and the original Clash are both favorite cult classics of mine as a kid. The remake probably doesn't hold that same power.

Make a caption

My Mood
    Worried

It doesn't have Ray Harryhausen. It has computers.

Along the Path of the Beam giggler5 is on a distinguished road giggler5's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

clash of the titans = terrible. if anyone here has seen the original from the 80s, don't bother. watered down with cgi, as expected. i feel like i got raped.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I went in to the theater wanting to love Clash , left the theater hoping the director's car exploded.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

:OMG: What is wrong with people?
    : "21 Jump Street" film in the works :

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

crazy
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    A Michael Bay produced remake of The Birds will have exploding birds.

You heard it here first.
    Oh, I've already seen the scene. I'm just imagining what a Michael Bay "Birds" will be, but with this description I guarantee you'll think I was on set:

There will be a Trevor Rabin (or another Hanz Zimmer-ish) soundtrack. Lots of slo-mo. The two main characters standing up in slo-mo as the camera view circles around them. All the while the soundtrack in the background making a low electric bass with a rapid monotonous "dow-dow-dow-dow-dow", over that enter the strings making a minor key emotional theme. The characters looking all around them at the flock of birds encircling them in the sky. Cut to camera view following a single bird as it dives toward the Melanie Daniels (played by Tea Leoni). Mitch Brenner (played by Nick Cage) will look up (all in slow motion), see the bird diving on Melanie, and dive himself toward her, shoving them both to the ground, milisecond (although with the slo-mo it might be a little longer) before the bird explodes (cgi explosion of course) over their heads.

Melanie glances over her shoulder in fear. Mitch jumps to his feet and pulls Melanie up. "LET'S GO! COME ON!" Mitch yells. Now it's not in slo mo. They're running for cover. All the while, birds are diving and exploding, but they dodge by... simply ducking their heads a few inches. They finally find shelter.

They're both panting.

Melanie: "What the hell was all that!?"

Mitch: "Are you kidding, it was like Pear Harbor in there!"

Make a caption

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A thread about remakes and no mention of True Grit? I have not seen it yet but it looks pretty good. My dad is a huge John Wayne fan so he gets really agitated whenever anyone mentions the new one.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I am really looking forward to watching the new one, now that you mention it. I have never been of fan of JW's movies, thinking them too "clean" for westerns, and not very realistic. I'm more a fan of the "gritty" Clint Eastwood type westerns, as I believe they are closer to the way things actually were. I hope the new one kind of blends the two into something good.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That sums up my thoughts on westerns as well.

My Mood
    Breezy

I KNEW you had good taste.

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't mind remakes, just as long as they're done well.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if this remake was mentioned...they are doing a reboot of RoboCop...the villain is Hugh Laurie.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...182822776.html

Does whatever a spiderman does.

My Mood
    Breezy

that's some bullshit

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast