Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stanley Kubrick

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

That's my number one, all time favorite movie. I've seen it 8 times at the theater, have a scope 16mm print of it, which is now useless since the film stock turned red, have it on two or three laserdiscs and a bunch of DVD editions. I also have a nice big original poster and the original 8 card lobby card set. And the vinyl soundtrack, and the 1st edition of the Clarke book in almost new condition. No brag, just fact. (Okay, a little brag, maybe)
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://thefilmstage.com/news/lost-s...ing-uncovered/
    Nearly two decades after his death, Stanley Kubrick is still making headlines. With the 50th anniversary re-release of 2001: A Space Odyssey currently earning over $1.2 million in just a handful of theaters, it’s clear that that works of the director certainly earn the label of “visionary,” and now another project that came from his mind may see the light of day.

A thought-to-be-lost screenplay from Kubrick titled Burning Secret has been found and it’s in a nearly-complete form. The Guardian reports that Kubrick expert Nathan Abrams, a film professor at Bangor University, found the script, which is over 100 pages. Written for MGM in 1956 alongside his Paths of Glory collaborator Calder Willingham, the script is an adaptation of the Stefan Zweig novella from 1913.

The story, which Kubrick moved from a Viennese Jewish perspective to then-contemporary America, follows “adultery and passion set in a spa resort, a suave and predatory man befriends a 10-year-old boy, using him to seduce the child’s married mother.” Abrams said of the script, “The child acts as an unwitting go-between for his mother and her would-be lover, making for a disturbing story with sexuality and child abuse churning beneath its surface.”

Considering the taboo subject matter (an arena Kubrick would once again encounter with Lolita a few years later) and that the director was focused on his follow-up to The Killing, Paths of Glory, it’s clear to see why the film didn’t move forward, but it could still see the light of day, according to Abrams.

“I couldn’t believe it. It’s so exciting. It was believed to have been lost,” Abrams said. “Kubrick aficionados know he wanted to do it, [but] no one ever thought it was completed. We now have a copy and this proves that he had done a full screenplay.” He added, “It’s a full screenplay so could be completed by film-makers today,” and that the son of one of Kubrick’s former collaborators owns the rights.

While we wait to see if anything comes of Burning Secret, another revelation involving Kubrick recently saw the light of day. One of our readers spotted a YouTube upload of an unaired Japanese documentary featuring Jun’ichi Yaoi, sold on eBay in 2016, in which he was investigating paranormal activity on The Shining‘s set.

The entire 90-minute video is a treasure trove of footage, featuring a tour of Kubrick’s offices and more, but one particular section will excite Kubrick fans. Jun’ichi Yaoi gets on the phone with Kubrick, who goes on to explain the ending of his sci-fi masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey, something he never discussed in the press. Check out ScreenCrush‘s transcription below.

Traveler nessuno2001 will become famous soon enough nessuno2001 will become famous soon enough

Default King vs. Kubrick: The origins of evil

Dear all,
    in case you haven't seen it in other threads, my article about Stephen King's dissatisfaction of Kubrick's version of The Shining has been published yesterday:

http://sensesofcinema.com/2020/the-s...igins-of-evil/

I gathered dozens of interviews with King, in books, newspapers, magazines and TV, and included many quotes from his own essays on writing The Shining. I'd love to hear what you King enthusiast think about my theory on why he never stopped criticising the movie and had bought the rights back to do his own adapted version.

I am grateful to a few members of this community for their help in tracing some of the rarest sources.

Thank you for your attention,
    best,
    Filippo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2