Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Removing previous owners name

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently acquired a book, whose previous owner wrote with a pencil what he bought it for and his estimated value.

Despite being pencil, I softly erased it with a gum, but I do not know if it's because I know it's there, but I still can notice it.
    Any tips?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I recently acquired a book, whose previous owner wrote with a pencil what he bought it for and his estimated value.

Despite being pencil, I softly erased it with a gum, but I do not know if it's because I know it's there, but I still can notice it.
    Any tips?
    Cover it with electrical tape. I hear folks do that with their check engine lights and it works like a charm
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Or write your name over it?
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Any tips?
    When you erase you might actually be further damaging the book. Erasing can cause damage to the fibers of the paper. It can also smear the pencil lead.

You might try different erasers since they act differently. Be careful with harder erasers since they can damage the paper more easily.

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the tips.
    And yes, I was trying to be careful and not damage the paper (i've seen it before, it can make the paper thinner....
    I will need to see if i can buy some other gums then..
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Don Maitz has a spectacular aura about Don Maitz has a spectacular aura about Don Maitz has a spectacular aura about

I have to erase things in books because I sometimes do remarques on book pages in pencil. I first try using a kneaded eraser..It is gray and available in art supply venues. It sort if absorbs the graphite rather than rubs it. If a pencil mark you want to erase is dark , it has a lot of graphite content. In that case, press the kneaded eraser into the area to pick up the excess graphite before rubbing the area with it . If the pencil mark is light gray,l there may be more clay mixed with the graphite making the line more embedded into the fibers and denting the paper. If the line is persistant, I use the white elaser c found on the end of the Pentel Clicker mechanical pencils . Because it it whlte it is not likley to discolor the paper as a Pink type eraser might. If you fine you need to apply prassure to remove the graphite , place something thin and hard under the area you are erasing to prevent denting the page or the page underneath. A hotel room plastic entry card or something else hard ,thin and smooth to protect the page and the page beneath. . Check you are not overly destroying the paper fibers as you erase.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Don Maitz View Post
    I have to erase things in books because I sometimes do remarques on book pages in pencil. I first try using a kneaded eraser..It is gray and available in art supply venues. It sort if absorbs the graphite rather than rubs it. If a pencil mark you want to erase is dark , it has a lot of graphite content. In that case, press the kneaded eraser into the area to pick up the excess graphite before rubbing the area with it . If the pencil mark is light gray,l there may be more clay mixed with the graphite making the line more embedded into the fibers and denting the paper. If the line is persistant, I use the white elaser c found on the end of the Pentel Clicker mechanical pencils . Because it it whlte it is not likley to discolor the paper as a Pink type eraser might. If you fine you need to apply prassure to remove the graphite , place something thin and hard under the area you are erasing to prevent denting the page or the page underneath. A hotel room plastic entry card or something else hard ,thin and smooth to protect the page and the page beneath. . Check you are not overly destroying the paper fibers as you erase.
    Excellent technique!

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent info from Don
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

I just recieved some very rare french audiobook tapes, from a library.
    The boxset has library barcode etc, taped onto the boxset... any suggestions to take them off?

Country
    Country Flag

Well, forget it : there was a thin plastic layer that could easily be peeled off and it had the library stickers attached to it.
    Peeled off easily and with everything

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, forget it : there was a thin plastic layer that could easily be peeled off and it had the library stickers attached to it.
    Peeled off easily and with everything
    Glad it worked out so easily for you. That could have been a real disaster trying to get it off without damaging the box.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I know. I was kind of worried until I saw that it was peeling off very easily and without issues

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing worse than buying a book with a fucking sticker on the front that has been taped down.
    A local second hand book store near me does it...
    Any ideas on peeling scotch tape of the front cover with out it peeling the colours off?
    I thought of steam but didn't want to get the whole book wet...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Nothing worse than buying a book with a fucking sticker on the front that has been taped down.
    Any ideas on peeling scotch tape of the front cover with out it peeling the colours off?
    Lighter fluid on Q-tips works well. You need to get the tape up a bit to get the fluid to the adhesive. Pull the tape slowly while working the fluid under it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Lighter fluid on Q-tips works well. You need to get the tape up a bit to get the fluid to the adhesive. Pull the tape slowly while working the fluid under it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Oh, and don't use candles as your light source.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

New meaning to "fire starter".
    That's a great tip.. thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2