Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 380 of 388 FirstFirst ... 280 330 370 378 379 380 381 382 ... LastLast
Results 9,476 to 9,500 of 9676

Thread: Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

John F. Kennedy oxfordcomma will become famous soon enough oxfordcomma will become famous soon enough

Thanks 🙏

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Current value of a fine condition signed Just After Sunset 1st/1st?
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

$500

Special Projects Manager mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going rate for Talisman/Black House set both S/L and GE please?
    Thanks!
    ISO:
    - LSOE AE Remarque
    - Signed Everything's Eventual US 1st
    - Other Dark Tower Remarques

Traveler 2ndGenFan will become famous soon enough 2ndGenFan will become famous soon enough 2ndGenFan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Any idea why prices of The Shining have gone up so much in the last couple of years? I bought my 1st/1st for less than $150, maybe 4-5 years ago, and now it seems that even the beat up copies are being listed for $500-$600. I haven’t been paying much attention to the market values for the last couple of years, as my collecting has been “on hold.” Do you guys see those prices changing much in the future?

I’m asking, because I’ve had to sell off some of my collection recently, and those prices have me tempted to list mine. They also scare me when I think about trying to replace it down the road!

Special Projects Manager mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndGenFan View Post
    Any idea why prices of The Shining have gone up so much in the last couple of years? I bought my 1st/1st for less than $150, maybe 4-5 years ago, and now it seems that even the beat up copies are being listed for $500-$600. I haven’t been paying much attention to the market values for the last couple of years, as my collecting has been “on hold.” Do you guys see those prices changing much in the future?

I’m asking, because I’ve had to sell off some of my collection recently, and those prices have me tempted to list mine. They also scare me when I think about trying to replace it down the road!
    My understanding is that the price of all King books have jumped in the last couple years. I think the going assumption is due to an excess of disposable income for some due to COVID and restricted travel. Folks started looking for a hobby they could do from home. Obviously lots of assumptions here

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with that assumption.
    Also, I always wondered why IT skyrocketted in prices (obviously related to the succesful movies), but why the value of the CD gift edition of "Carrie" and "Shining", which are iconic, didn't increase as much
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

The price inflation has been absolutely brutal. There are virtually no “good deals” to be found because people are gouging due to the state of the market.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

The price inflation has been absolutely brutal. There are virtually no “good deals” to be found because people are gouging due to the state of the market.
    Time to Unionize!!!
    LOL
    ISO:
    - LSOE AE Remarque

Traveler 2ndGenFan will become famous soon enough 2ndGenFan will become famous soon enough 2ndGenFan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mmalling View Post

My understanding is that the price of all King books have jumped in the last couple years. I think the going assumption is due to an excess of disposable income for some due to COVID and restricted travel. Folks started looking for a hobby they could do from home. Obviously lots of assumptions here
    Funny, that’s why I’m having to downsize It just seems funny how some things have skyrocketed since the last time I paid attention, while others seem to be going for a lot less than they used to. I felt pretty bad to make such a hefty profit on a 2nd printing of The Shining, but I pretty much ended up paying someone to take My Pretty Pony off my hands

Country
    Country Flag

Funny, that’s why I’m having to downsize It just seems funny how some things have skyrocketed since the last time I paid attention, while others seem to be going for a lot less than they used to. I felt pretty bad to make such a hefty profit on a 2nd printing of The Shining, but I pretty much ended up paying someone to take My Pretty Pony off my hands
    Yeah, I get it... I tried to be careful with my words because I know these last couple years have been very rough for many many people. Sorry you are having to downsize, hope you at least get a return on most of your investments.
    ISO:
    - LSOE AE Remarque

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"The price inflation has been absolutely brutal. There are virtually no “good deals” to be found because people are gouging due to the state of the market."

If everyone would quit paying the outrageous prices, they would go down.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

This is what is called a "bubble;" coupled with the hysteria from the "new" SK collectors believing that this market is normal and believing everything they are told in various internet echo chambers. And there are people out there who are gouging. I pity the people who had temporary disposable funds over the last 18 months and bought books at unreal prices. 6-12 months from now, they will need some of that disposable money back -- it always happens. But there will be a shortage of buyers with the ability to buy those books at the same unreal prices. There are still books sold at reasonable amounts. You just have to work a little harder to find them.

One last thing...the word investment was used above my post. Folks, if you think that this hobby is an investment opportunity, think again. Unless you own an SK book with mass appeal (interest from all bibliophiles - not just the SK folks), you will be lucky to get your initial cost recovered -- in the long run. Interested to hear other points-of-view.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    This is what is called a "bubble;" coupled with the hysteria from the "new" SK collectors believing that this market is normal and believing everything they are told in various internet echo chambers. And there are people out there who are gouging. I pity the people who had temporary disposable funds over the last 18 months and bought books at unreal prices. 6-12 months from now, they will need some of that disposable money back -- it always happens. But there will be a shortage of buyers with the ability to buy those books at the same unreal prices. There are still books sold at reasonable amounts. You just have to work a little harder to find them.

One last thing...the word investment was used above my post. Folks, if you think that this hobby is an investment opportunity, think again. Unless you own an SK book with mass appeal (interest from all bibliophiles - not just the SK folks), you will be lucky to get your initial cost recovered -- in the long run. Interested to hear other points-of-view.

John
    John, I used the word investment and believe it is an accurate usage - in as far as I have invested time and money in my collection. Now, am I expecting a return on my investment? No, other than enjoyment and perhaps short term gains to fund my next book. I certainly don't think this is any form of long term retirement plan.
    ISO:
    - LSOE AE Remarque

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think Facebook has had a massive influence on what people are choosing to accept as a normal price.

I’ve sold a couple of books at a profit that I never would have imagined selling at cost. Books that I stuck at the back of my shelf that I bought just to have, but someone seems to want them. Buyers were extremely happy at the price and seen them sell higher since.

I have found that in most instances that a price is quoted on fb, and it sticks, no matter how inflated it is, and that then seems to be the going rate moving forward. I know that’s how the market works, but it often seems artificially inflated, one person buys it, and a significant number of people accept and pretty quickly, I see others become available at that price.

It’s hindering in my holy grail purchases most definitely, but holy grails are that, worth chasing, and in the long term, will find at reasonable price. If not, I will sell a book to raise the funds when the urge gets too great.

Case in example is the red numbered eyes of the dragon, inscribed. It was selling at $1300 a few years ago, and last week it sold at 4 times that price, give or take. Nuts. No blame set on that, seller, broker and buyer are all probably happy with their lot. But just nuts. Also, I bought Skeleton Key numbered only a couple of years back, and that’s selling at twice the value without a blink of the eye. Am I happy, oh yes, but damned if it still doesn’t feel a little out of control.

Again, I know that’s how collecting works, been around long enough, but people are throwing their money into the pot, and others are making a hefty profit out of this old /new community.

And going back to Johnny007 comments, I would agree long term, investment may not be the best reason to buy, but if people are judging their collecting on the fast moving market now, it’d be hard not to be tempted.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I get it... I tried to be careful with my words because I know these last couple years have been very rough for many many people. Sorry you are having to downsize, hope you at least get a return on most of your investments.
    Thanks. It’s definitely been a rough year and a half - being in the food service industry, I was one of the “lucky” few who was actually able to work, while many of my coworkers went on a $600/week paid vacation. Thankfully, I haven’t had to get rid of much that I’ll want to replace later - mainly downsizing extra copies I’d picked up at some point.

Country
    Country Flag

Also, I realize I didn’t phrase my above comment properly... I was only expressing my disgust at the many people I personally knew, who wouldn’t go back to work, even when they COULD. I didn’t mean to imply that not being ABLE to work qualified as a paid vacation. I’m sorry - that didn’t come out the way I’d intended.

Gunslinger Apprentice HorrorfanTom is a jewel in the rough HorrorfanTom is a jewel in the rough HorrorfanTom is a jewel in the rough

My Mood
    Amazed

Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post
    I think Facebook has had a massive influence on what people are choosing to accept as a normal price.

I’ve sold a couple of books at a profit that I never would have imagined selling at cost. Books that I stuck at the back of my shelf that I bought just to have, but someone seems to want them. Buyers were extremely happy at the price and seen them sell higher since.

I have found that in most instances that a price is quoted on fb, and it sticks, no matter how inflated it is, and that then seems to be the going rate moving forward. I know that’s how the market works, but it often seems artificially inflated, one person buys it, and a significant number of people accept and pretty quickly, I see others become available at that price.

It’s hindering in my holy grail purchases most definitely, but holy grails are that, worth chasing, and in the long term, will find at reasonable price. If not, I will sell a book to raise the funds when the urge gets too great.

Case in example is the red numbered eyes of the dragon, inscribed. It was selling at $1300 a few years ago, and last week it sold at 4 times that price, give or take. Nuts. No blame set on that, seller, broker and buyer are all probably happy with their lot. But just nuts. Also, I bought Skeleton Key numbered only a couple of years back, and that’s selling at twice the value without a blink of the eye. Am I happy, oh yes, but damned if it still doesn’t feel a little out of control.

Again, I know that’s how collecting works, been around long enough, but people are throwing their money into the pot, and others are making a hefty profit out of this old /new community.

And going back to Johnny007 comments, I would agree long term, investment may not be the best reason to buy, but if people are judging their collecting on the fast moving market now, it’d be hard not to be tempted.
    All of this ^^
    Searching for:
    CD S/L's of:
    Gwendy's BB
    Gwendy's MF

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What is the current value of the Life in the Cinema S/L?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    What is the current value of the Life in the Cinema S/L?
    Facebook-$900
    Dt.org-$300

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha! Yeah, the variance between the two for most books is ridiculous!

Thanks Jerome!

Traveler vwtdi is on a distinguished road

Hello all and thanks for the help in advance. My GF and I watched a segment on Antiques Roadshow last night where Steven Kings first 5 books were appraised for 6K. She has been a big King fan from the start, but not necessarily a collector and showed me her collection of King books. Bottom line is she got out the 5 that were on TV and said she'd happily unload them for 6K and I said hold your horses until I do a little investigation and that’s how I came here. I verified they are first editions and the Carrie has the P6 on page 199. They are in absolutely in mint shape with their dust jackets. Is this the best place to peddle them? She is going to take pictures sometime today, but here are a couple she emailed me this morning. Thanks, Keith snoopy1955@comcast.net

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello Keith, I would highly recommend you to share some pictures so that collectors here can give a real estimate based on the actual books
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Traveler vwtdi is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Hello Keith, I would highly recommend you to share some pictures so that collectors here can give a real estimate based on the actual books
    I’m currently at work, but she sent me a picture of The Shining and a couple of her bookcase this morning which I have, but couldn’t figure out how to post them. If you are interested in seeing them, feel free to email me. I’m on the phone with her now and she is going to take some pictures this evening. She told me she has 4 or 5 Richard Bachman books also if that means anything.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello all and thanks for the help in advance. My GF and I watched a segment on Antiques Roadshow last night where Steven Kings first 5 books were appraised for 6K.
    I watched it as well, it was a rerun from early last year; I wondered if that guy was a member here as he talked having all of the S/L's as well as the men's magazines which he bought for the articles.

I thought the evaluator's estimate was pretty high for the five books shown; the inscribed first Carrie was nice, he put that at $2K - $3K by itself. The others ... from what they showed anyway, which was just dust jackets, he never opened them... weren't Fine/Fine by any means, and I think it was The Shining was a BCE. You could see the creased and worn dust jackets.

Post good photos and descriptions here, you'll get good estimates. Don't expect multi-thousands of dollars though if they're just First Editions versus legitimate signed/inscribed First Editions, and of course condition is key; to be Fine/Fine both the book and the dust jacket must be pretty much perfect, without so much as a blemish, crease, dent, smudge, or scratch. A lot of the value is actually in the dust jacket.

Good luck!
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

+ Reply to Thread
Page 380 of 388 FirstFirst ... 280 330 370 378 379 380 381 382 ... LastLast