Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 388 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 163 213 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 9676

Thread: Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the replies. I am inclined to leave it on. From time to time I try to move the wrap around a bit to make sure there it is not sticking. Thus far that has seemed to keep it fresh. Make sense?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Depends on the buyer. To me, shrinkwrap on a recently released book would be okay. I'd remove it as soon as I bought it, though. I don't think you could get me to pay market value for a old shrinkwrapped book unless I could arrange to open it in front of the seller and guarantee I could back out of the deal once I saw whatever damage there there was caused by the wrap. I actually bought a group of Arkham books about 10 years ago and about a third of them were shrinkwrapped. From the 1970s early 80s. Most were okay, but 2 were ruined as the wrap had fused to the DJ on both.

Plus, it's easy to shrinkwrap an item. Back in the day I worked at a video store in the mall and we had a shrinkwrapping gizmo to re-wrap returned tapes. Folks would bring stuff in and we'd just shrinkwrap all sorts of stuff for free. No big deal for us. The way eBay is I would not be surprised at all to see a "new shrinkwrapped" book actually be a flawed book wrapped after-the-fact.

So to sum up...a book one person would pay a premium of $350 on, I would much rather have a well-kept open copy with no premium.
    I had a shrink wrapped copy of the stand "IN MINT CONDITION" according to the seller 1st edition 1st printing. the only problem was I unwrapped the shrink wrap and someone wrote their name in the book looked like a child. it was too late to return. I bought a really good copy from Betts with no cover and now I have a perfect copy of the stand and another with someones name in it. I remove shrink wrap now.
    1st CLUE THE STAND was never shrink wrapped NEW.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Shrinkwrap on an old book is a liability, or it is a sham. If the general market value is over about $35, I will wait to buy an open copy instead.

Only exception is my Desp/Regu. Book set with nightlight. I like that they are still all packaged together.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Shrinkwrap on an old book is a liability, or it is a sham. If the general market value is over about $35, I will wait to buy an open copy instead.

Only exception is my Desp/Regu. Book set with nightlight. I like that they are still all packaged together.
    With a little effort anyone can shrinkwrap a book.

If a person is in the book scamming business it seems a necessary tool of the trade.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    1st CLUE THE STAND was never shrink wrapped NEW.
    LOL good point

Depends on the buyer. To me, shrinkwrap on a recently released book would be okay. I'd remove it as soon as I bought it, though. I don't think you could get me to pay market value for a old shrinkwrapped book unless I could arrange to open it in front of the seller and guarantee I could back out of the deal once I saw whatever damage there there was caused by the wrap. I actually bought a group of Arkham books about 10 years ago and about a third of them were shrinkwrapped. From the 1970s early 80s. Most were okay, but 2 were ruined as the wrap had fused to the DJ on both.

Plus, it's easy to shrinkwrap an item. Back in the day I worked at a video store in the mall and we had a shrinkwrapping gizmo to re-wrap returned tapes. Folks would bring stuff in and we'd just shrinkwrap all sorts of stuff for free. No big deal for us. The way eBay is I would not be surprised at all to see a "new shrinkwrapped" book actually be a flawed book wrapped after-the-fact.
    Good info - thanks. I have heard there could be damage if the shrinkwrap was left on too long but this is the first time Ive heard of someone actually seeing it with their own eyes.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good info - thanks. I have heard there could be damage if the shrinkwrap was left on too long but this is the first time Ive heard of someone actually seeing it with their own eyes.
    I bought my copy of The Wastelands still in the shrinkwrap. After reading this forum and The Collector's forum, I decided to remove it from all my books (that was a fun day!). While the DJ wasn't stuck to it, the shrinkwrap left the dustjacket looking dingy. I guess the best way to describe it is that it's no longer shiny, if that makes sense. I had regretted taking My Pretty Pony out of the shrinkwrap for a long time, but no more!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

If people are keeping books in shrinkwrap to protect the books (as opposed to increasing the value), you're better off getting Brodart put on and then sealing the book in an archival comic book bag.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I bought my copy of The Wastelands still in the shrinkwrap. After reading this forum and The Collector's forum, I decided to remove it from all my books (that was a fun day!). While the DJ wasn't stuck to it, the shrinkwrap left the dustjacket looking dingy. I guess the best way to describe it is that it's no longer shiny, if that makes sense. I had regretted taking My Pretty Pony out of the shrinkwrap for a long time, but no more!
    It is enjoyable to take off the shrinkwrap and look through a book. I remember when I took all mine off, I was hesitant at first but now I'm glad I did. It makes the book more interesting to see more than just the outside, there's a lot more inside the book than outside.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    If people are keeping books in shrinkwrap to protect the books (as opposed to increasing the value), you're better off getting Brodart put on and then sealing the book in an archival comic book bag.
    Absolutely.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To add my 2 cents worth, I recall a similar debate on another forum a year or so ago, whereby anti-shrinkwrap advocates had concerns (and physical proof, from memory) that there exists the potential for damage to occur to the book, over time, should any degree of moisture be present during the shrinkwrap process (and it only takes, apparently, a drop or two to kick start condensation)
    We all float down here!

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For the proof/ARC collectors out there, any thoughts as to the value of the Blue covered The Dark Man ARC from CD?
    Thanks

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Given that about 50 copies were produced, I'd price it at between $200-300. It isn't one of the King favorites (like The Stand or Shining) so that may affect the price.

John

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks John.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did I do alright? I couldn't see the price, but it states first edition. I literally had moments to think about it before auction ended.

LINK

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Dan, I think you done good! It's hard to tell condition from the photos, but for $36 you can't go wrong.

John

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I would have bought that for that price, if cleaned up and properly advertised you could probably get more than that for it. I sold one in pretty bad shape with no dustjacket on ebay and i think i got around $130 for it a few years ago.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love to have that copy!

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! I feel much better. I'm never sure if I did good or wasted money. At this price, I wasn't afraid to gamble.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Thanks! I feel much better. I'm never sure if I did good or wasted money. At this price, I wasn't afraid to gamble.
    Way to go Dan - $36 makes it a fantastic deal in anyones language (even Australian)
    We all float down here!

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Awww...come on! Ya gotta know that Gunsligners DO NOT HESITATE! You "1-click-bid" !!!....and always remember the face of your father!

Ok Dan...look at it this way. If item has NO bids...then maybe it's ok to hesitate and there is actually a good reason.

If the item has a few bids on it then it is definitely ok to bid a few extra bucks to win the auction.

It's a win win situation and here is why.

IF item has bids (bids = market interest)...then even if you are not satisfied with your purchase or later regret it...you can generally relist the item on ebay and be out maybe a few bucks.

NOW...if item has no bids ( NO BIDS = likely very very very low interest)....and you place a bid to win the item..then later try to resell on ebay you could be out ALOT of money. Of course this depends on market interest.

Hope this helps.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Did I do alright? I couldn't see the price, but it states first edition. I literally had moments to think about it before auction ended.

LINK
    You did just fine. I can't see the entire dust jacket but it looks to be really well preserved. The dust jacket alone could be worth over $100 or more if there are no library markings on it. If it were me I would start looking for a nicer copy (not ex-lib) that is lacking a dust jacket and combine the two.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Penny View Post
    Way to go Dan - $36 makes it a fantastic deal in anyones language (even Australian)
    Thanks, Grant!

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    Awww...come on! Ya gotta know that Gunsligners DO NOT HESITATE! You "1-click-bid" !!!....and always remember the face of your father!

Ok Dan...look at it this way. If item has NO bids...then maybe it's ok to hesitate and there is actually a good reason.

If the item has a few bids on it then it is definitely ok to bid a few extra bucks to win the auction.

It's a win win situation and here is why.

IF item has bids (bids = market interest)...then even if you are not satisfied with your purchase or later regret it...you can generally relist the item on ebay and be out maybe a few bucks.

NOW...if item has no bids ( NO BIDS = likely very very very low interest)....and you place a bid to win the item..then later try to resell on ebay you could be out ALOT of money. Of course this depends on market interest.

Hope this helps.

G
    Great strategy! I never considered it, but makes sense.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

How much should i look to be paying for a nice copy of 'The Stand' 1st edition.
    I'm considering selling my signed copy and using some of the proceeds to fund a 1st edition
    Thanks in advance

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

How much does a TWTTK US proof usually go for?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking for opinions on value. I am placing under spoiler since their are lot of photos.

Spoiler:
    So, my first edition Carrie, for which I paid roughly $40 shipped, has arrived. I still think I got a great deal, but want some opinions on value. Also looking for suggestions to enhance it's value. I have several photos highlighting the flaws.

The binding is very tight. Other than the library markings, there are no other markings.

Some tape stains and library marking

Another tape and stamp

Tape marking inside

First edition, also has gutter code

Library stamps

Has some lean

Looks like torn when tape was removed

Leftover tape residue

Should I try to remove this?

Another small tear

Overall dust jacket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 388 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 163 213 ... LastLast