Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Quotes

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to start a thread on King quotes, but thought I'd check around first to see if one exists. I found this one, but there hasn't been a post here for over 6 years. Anyway, not sure if anyone visits here much, but I wanted to post this piece. I've been reading/re-reading all his books and have a ton of quotes that I think are truly brilliant. Here's one which is from Blaze. It's absolutely beautiful writing.

"Sometimes when he was in the country he would sleep in a barn and wake in the night and go out and look at the stars and there were so many, and he knew they were there before him, and they would be there after him. That was sort of awful and sort of wonderful. Sometimes when he was hitchhiking and it was going on for November, the wind would blow around him and flap his pants and he would grieve for something that was lost, like that letter which had come with no address. Sometimes he would look at the sky in the spring and see a bird, and it might make him happy, but just as often it felt like something inside him was getting small and ready to break."

— Blaze, Stephen King

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Man, that makes me want to reread Blaze. What an amazing passage.
    Thanks for sharing. And for reviving this thread.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I love that passage. One of my favorites. And I loved everything about Blaze. Great book.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I wanted to start a thread on King quotes, but thought I'd check around first to see if one exists. I found this one, but there hasn't been a post here for over 6 years. Anyway, not sure if anyone visits here much, but I wanted to post this piece. I've been reading/re-reading all his books and have a ton of quotes that I think are truly brilliant. Here's one which is from Blaze. It's absolutely beautiful writing.

"Sometimes when he was in the country he would sleep in a barn and wake in the night and go out and look at the stars and there were so many, and he knew they were there before him, and they would be there after him. That was sort of awful and sort of wonderful. Sometimes when he was hitchhiking and it was going on for November, the wind would blow around him and flap his pants and he would grieve for something that was lost, like that letter which had come with no address. Sometimes he would look at the sky in the spring and see a bird, and it might make him happy, but just as often it felt like something inside him was getting small and ready to break."

— Blaze, Stephen King

Interesting opinion. The repeated use of the word "and" in the first sentence kind of makes it choppy and awkward to me; maybe even a bit "run on." But the rest...I agree, is quite beautiful.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear you, although I feel that's part of what makes the language so good. To me, the way "and" is used to join his thoughts is just right. It lends a sort of poetic melody to the sentence. It also creates an urgency to it. You almost feel breathless reading it because when you expect the sentence to end, it doesn't and goes on. It's like a short prose poem to me. I read a lot of poetry so that could be why I have an ear for this sort of language and why I like it so much.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I ALWAYS get chills when I read this:

“The most important things are the hardest to say. They are the things you get ashamed of, because words diminish them -- words shrink things that seemed limitless when they were in your head to no more than living size when they're brought out. But it's more than that, isn't it? The most important things lie too close to wherever your secret heart is buried, like landmarks to a treasure your enemies would love to steal away. And you may make revelations that cost you dearly only to have people look at you in a funny way, not understanding what you've said at all, or why you thought it was so important that you almost cried while you were saying it. That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller but for want of an understanding ear.”

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Quotes

Wow, that is great. Which book is it from? I don't remember reading this before.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe it is from The Body.

But I am uncertain. My memory fools me often these days.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I found it. It's from The Body in Different Seasons.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes...I found it. the page goes on most poignantly:

"Have you ever felt this?

I've had instances where I had something that was so important to say... SO important, at least to me. But when the thoughts were finally pressed into words and sentences, the listeners blew them away like chaff. And it wasn't really because they didn't care. But they didn't understand. They didn't understand why the words were important. They didn't understand what it cost me to say them, how much I felt I was risking. They didn't understand the meaning behind the words, the feeling behind the words, the importance behind the words.

You're left at a loss, aren't you? You want to say, "No, LOOK. Listen to what I am saying to you. Can you not see the tears I have just shed trying to communicate my very heart? Can you not understand why this has been so hard to say, and yet so very imperative that I share it?"

And they don't. They just... don't. It's heartbreaking and disappointing, and leaves you feeling very deflated. Not even mad at them. Maybe it's not their fault that they don't understand. But you feel deflated, and a little lost. They were supposed to understand.

So, you close up again and you lock your secrets away again and you remind yourself what happens when you let your heart out and you vow that there won't be another time. There won't be an "again."

But, there will. Our secret hearts aren't meant to be locked up, hidden away from all people.

There will be an "again." And maybe "again" will turn out differently."

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I was thinking maybe Apt Pupil...I reckon I was in the right ballpark.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it's a great quote for sure. I've read it a few times now. Can't believe I missed it.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's one from Christine. Another one of my favorites. Such great language in the last line.

She stiffened for a moment and then let me draw her against my shoulder. She was trembling. We just sat that way, both of us afraid of even the slightest movement, I think. Afraid we might explode. Or something. Across the room, the clock ticked importantly on the mantelpiece. Bright winterlight fell through the bow windows that give a three-way view of the street. The storm had blown itself out by noon on Christmas Day, and now the hard and cloudless blue sky seemed to deny that there even was such a thing as snow—but the dunelike drifts rolling across lawns all up and down the street like the backs of great buried beasts confirmed it.

— Stephen King, Christine

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Here's one from Christine. Another one of my favorites. Such great language in the last line.

Across the room, the clock ticked importantly on the mantelpiece.

— Stephen King, Christine
    I LOVE this line!!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Guys, I came across this while reading Ur last night and I thought it was a beautiful line.
    "The Tower trembles, the worlds shudder in their courses. The rose feels a chill, as of winter."

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

"worlds shudder"

Nice!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

"You can frost a dog turd, but it's still a dog turd."

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

"They went toward town, a young walking man in a flat-crowned hat, a young riding woman with a poncho spread over her lap and legs. The starlight rained down on them as it has on young men and women since time’s first hour, and once she looked up and saw a meteor flash overhead—a brief and brilliant orange streak across the vault of heaven."

— The Dark Tower IV: Wizard & Glass

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Thank you, Tommy...that's beautiful! *wipes tear*

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule."

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice one, Jim.

Did you look this up on Google? Because "Any quote you have to hunt for in Google is the wrong quote. There are no exceptions to this rule."

Sorry, Jim. The smartass in me couldn't resist!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Roland also shook his head … and then Jake saw that Eddie Dean was raising his. There was a peculiar smile on Eddie's face, a peculiar shine in Eddie's eyes, and Jake found that hope hadn't deserted him, after all. It suddenly flowered anew in his mind, red and hot and vivid. Like … well, like a rose. A rose in the full fever of its summer.

— The Dark Tower IV: Wizard & Glass

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Thank you, Tommy...that's beautiful! *wipes tear*

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Quotes

I use an app for taking notes and for writing, and now that I've been using it for more than a year, what it does is send you a notification when you have an entry that occurred on the same day a year ago. I received a notification today of a quote from Christine that I had typed in. Just re-read it. What beautiful writing, and insight into the human condition.

Spoiler:
    By the time I had the mounted tire back in my trunk and had paid the guy two bucks for the job, the early evening light had become the fading purple of late evening. The shadow of each bush was long and velvety, and as I cruised slowly back up the street I saw the day's last light streaming almost horizontally through the trash-littered space between the Arby's and the bowling alley. That light, so much flooding gold, was nearly terrible in its strange, unexpected beauty.

I was surprised by a choking panic that climbed up in my throat like dry fire. It was the first time a feeling like that came over me-that long, strange year—-but not the last. Yet it's hard for me to explain, or even define. It had something to do with realizing that it was August 11, 1978, that I was going to be a senior in high school next month, and that when school started again it meant the end of a long, quiet phase of my life. I was getting ready to be a grown-up, and I saw that somehow - saw it for sure, for the first time in that lovely but somehow ancient spill of golden light flooding down the alleyway between a bowling alley and a roast beef joint. And I think I understood then that what really scares people about growing up is that you stop trying on the life-mask and start trying on another one. If being a kid is about learning how to live, then being a grown-up is about learning how to die.

The feeling passed, but in its wake I felt shaken and melancholy. Neither state was much like my usual self.

-- Stephen King, Christine

That's a great passage. I think the most beautiful part is:

"That light, so much flooding gold, was nearly terrible in its strange, unexpected beauty."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast