Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting my trip to NY, USA

Citizen of Gilead namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor will become famous soon enough namelessnpoor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Ari !!
    Here in Maryland gas prices are anywhere from $2.90 to $3.50 per gallon. It can get pricey to do a lot of driving. As far as Hockey tickets, i belive that the Hockey season ends in April, so i don't think there will be any games to see, but tickets for a Washington Capitals game do run about $100 or so for good seats, i am sure there are cheaper ones though.

I live right outside Annapolis, and only about 30 miles from washington dc, give me a call if you think you will be near me anytime. Been talking to you on here for a few years now, it would be nice to meet you !
    I'll PM you my number.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ari,

Gas prices in Virginia currently running $2.80 - $3.20 per gallon (not litre). I'd rent an economy car if I were you - all you need is something to get you from point a to point b. Go online and check out the rental agencies and see what types of vehicles they have in compact and sub-compact and then google the specific type cars to get an idea of gas mileage. I'd guess you could rent a car that gets 25 miles per gallon or better and that would help you budget out your dollars better!

You can get tickets to a Hockey game in Washington, DC for anywares ffrom $30 and up. Obviously, the lower you pay the worse (way up in the nosebleed section and probably on the end/corner) the seat! I do not think there will be any games though when you are here! You'll be in the middle of Baseball Season!

Another alternative to lodging in New York City are the Youth Hostels - they provide a clean cheap place to sleep. My daughter has used one in the past with her Girl Scout Troop and my other daughter will be staying in a hostel this May with a group of college kids as they take an honors course called The New uyork Experience. Just google "youth hostel" and "new york city" to find information. Try THIS WEBSITE

Bob
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Excellent info, Bob! Thanks!!! I'm checking that right now!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I HAVE THE TICKET!!!!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Will you bring ba ck a rose if you find it in an abandoned alley?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Will you bring ba ck a rose if you find it in an abandoned alley?

No...don't pick the rose.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

But we can replant it the backyard of someone who will protect it!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright...I have some more doubts and any advice and/or comment would be very helpful.

I've been searching to rent a private room for 3 in NY and in the best place I found the room costs $57 per night per person. It's "Hotel 31", located in 120 East 31th st. Does anyone knows it? I don't know if it includes taxes.

Now...I've been checking hostels and hotels with private rooms in New Jersey and there the prices are a lot lower than in NY, but I have a big issue..I don't know which cities have the subway/train that goes to NY near. For example...I found a great hotel in Absecon which costs 30 dollars per night and the place looks awesome, but I don't know if Absecon is near the train/subway that gets us to NY.

Could someone put here which are the NJ areas that have an easy access to NY by train or subway?

THANKS!!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

We have hostels here?

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

To answer your last question, the easiest way to get here-well, to get to Manhattan-from New Jersey is taking the Path from Jersey City. It takes around ten minutes for you to get to midtown from there. Newark is within spitting distance, figuratively speaking.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! Is there a subway or a train from Jersey City to NY?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What do you think about this one:
    http://espana.hotels.com/pageDetails...ldrenPerRoom=0
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello People,

Back on this again

Do you know which stores are the best in NY, NJ or DC to buy electronic stuff? I plan to purchase a PS3.

Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Hello People,

Back on this again

Do you know which stores are the best in NY, NJ or DC to buy electronic stuff? I plan to purchase a PS3.

Thanks!
    Actually I think the price in NY/NJ would be higher than in the DC area. I'd shop Best Buy in the DC Metro area, but outside the district on the Virginia side! Just looked - the PS3 (40GB) is currently $399 USD at Best Buy!

By the way, the gas prices I quoted to you on Feb 18th (in this thread) are about $1 too low right now! Which pretty much sux big big!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

okay, this is a really stupid question but can you rent a car in the us? i have a friend from canada and he wasn't allowed to rent a car here. something about not having a driver's license that was valid in the united states and the different driving laws. have you thought about that?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello!
    Thanks Bob! I saw the same price for the PS3 of 40Gb, so it's a good price. I'll try to get the 60GB one actually, but if I can't I'll go for that one.

I dealt with ALAMO (rent-a-car) directly and my licence allows me to drive in USA. It's international. But thank you for your concern!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

cool. i always wondered about that. stupid of my friend not to have one of those (seeing as how canada is right upstairs - relatively speaking)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Any way I could save some international shipping and send you the AE of DTVII that you won while you are here?
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

OOOO, wanna send it to me and I will hold onto it for him??? Great way to guarantee that he'll come see me! LOL
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually I think that's a good idea, since I won't have a physical address in USA (I'll stay in a hotel for 7 days and then spend the rest in different hotels everytime).
    Or you can tell me the difference in the shipping and I'll afford it.

Let me know!

Anyway, Karen, I promised to stop by and meet you
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't mind sending it international at all Ari, I just wanted to make sure you would get it.

If you are going to see Karen for sure, that would make it nice and easy though.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post

Actually I think that's a good idea, since I won't have a physical address in USA (I'll stay in a hotel for 7 days and then spend the rest in different hotels everytime).
    Or you can tell me the difference in the shipping and I'll afford it.

Let me know!

Anyway, Karen, I promised to stop by and meet you
    *squee*
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

ONLY A MONTH LEFT!!!! The countdown starts today!

Both my friends got their visas! So the final schedule is:

24 of july - 31 of July: New York (Sleeping in Jersey City, NJ, visitng New York everyday)
    31 of July - 1st of August: Springfield (Massachussets)-Providence-Boston.
    1st of August - 2nd of August: Leaving early in the morning to Bangor, Maine.
    2nd of August - 4th of August: Leaving from Bangor to Niagara Falls.
    4th of August - 5th of August: Niagara Falls to Washington DC. It'd be great if we could go near the Apalachian mountains. (Any suggestion here which route should I take?)
    5th of August - 7 of August: Washington DC
    7th of August - 8 of August: Maryland
    8th of August - 9th of August: Philladelphia
    9th of August - 10th of August: Atlantic City
    10th of August - 13th of August: New Jersey/New York (end of the trip).

I already rented the car in ALAMO (from July 13th to August 10th).
    Now I have these office to pick it up. In order to avoid too much traffic (or at least to avoid the most), which of these offices should I pick to be in Springfield (MS) as soon as possible.

# Manhattan - E. 12th Street (NYCC75)
    # Manhattan - E. 31st Street (NYCC76)
    # Manhattan - E. 50th Street (NYCC77)
    # Manhattan - E. 80th Street (NYCC73)
    # Manhattan - W. 40th Street (NYCC71)
    # Manhattan - W. 77th Street (NYCC78)

Considering we'll be taking the PATH in NJ with all the lugagge, how much time it'd take us from the moment we left the PATH and take the subway (whichever is going to take us to the office) until we arrive to the most convenient office?

Well, any suggestion is very welcomed!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey Ari, glad you're so pumped about your trip! You're definitely going to have a great time. In regard to your last comment, have you tried using www.mapquest.com? It's quite helpful in terms of directions and estimated distances and times.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast