Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Rebound

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow guys, I'm blown away by all your responses and enthusiasm! I tell you, throughout this project I had a lot of negative self-talk and came up with all the reasons why I can't do this. I did my best to ignore the voices, and based on what I'm seeing here, I'm pleased I did. Thank you.

A couple things I'd like to respond to:
    1. Copyright: As others have said, this is a non-issue. I'm not reprinting the book. I'm rebinding copies of the 1st edition. No different to what Jerome has done recently with The Stand and The Bachman Books. And besides, the whole King world is too sacred for me to go stomping around breaking rules.
    2. Price: I've had a lot of members asking about price. I'm in the middle of working out those details and as soon as I have a number, I'll post it.

Thanks again for all the positive responses. Means a lot.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that there is still a main difference with Jerome's rebinding etc. He did a couple, and "gave" them away in auction.
    Here, you plan on create 24-25 so sort of like a limited edition, and sell them. Not only for personal use.

I too a bit concerned about issues on this project : tomorrow I can therefore create my own 52 limited set of "lettered" rebound copies, I dont need to bother asking King's authorisation nor paying him fees. I am no expert, but it does sound like a slippery rope to me. I guess that it may be a grey area.

Otherwise, I do like the green copy. It does look like dragon's skin.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I think that there is still a main difference with Jerome's rebinding etc. He did a couple, and "gave" them away in auction.
    Here, you plan on create 24-25 so sort of like a limited edition, and sell them. Not only for personal use.

I too a bit concerned about issues on this project : tomorrow I can therefore create my own 52 limited set of "lettered" rebound copies, I dont need to bother asking King's authorisation nor paying him fees. I am no expert, but it does sound like a slippery rope to me. I guess that it may be a grey area.

But RF did not "give" anything away. He auctioned it off.. for a price. What would be the difference?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

There are many instances of people 'upselling' rebound books, eBay is full of them (including DT books). Paul is not trying to pass these off as his own work and is not changing the content in anyway. You can legally re-sell a book without copyright issues, if you choose to put a brodart cover on it, or a sumptuous leather binding, there is no real difference.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

F yeah - This is the reason I come to the site everyday, to see the awesome, totally obsessed things us King fans think of to do. I want to do something like this as well but don't have the time or know how. If you can craft one of these for a reasonable fee, I would pay for one. I vote for the green skin.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great idea Paul!
    I love the green also, but I highly doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    There are many instances of people 'upselling' rebound books, eBay is full of them (including DT books). Paul is not trying to pass these off as his own work and is not changing the content in anyway. You can legally re-sell a book without copyright issues, if you choose to put a brodart cover on it, or a sumptuous leather binding, there is no real difference.

IMO, there is a difference between doing one and doing a more important number of it.
    One can just be the one from your personal collection you are selling off.
    It's totally different from purposely doing 25 to sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    But RF did not "give" anything away. He auctioned it off.. for a price. What would be the difference?
    I thought they started at 0.99 on ebay, and the moment goes to the fundraiser so it goes to charity. Obviously I am saying this without checking, so I could be totally wrong.

Anyway, it's just my two cents.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

You are entitled to your opinion, but IMO, your interpretation of USA copyright law is wrong.
    Laws are not feelings. Laws are generally written, not "felt".

Gunslinger Apprentice ruderabbit will become famous soon enough ruderabbit's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Are both versions going to be available, or just one, once you decide which you like better?

I like them both. I think maybe silver would look better with the green though. Probably personal preference kicking in, as I don't care for yellow gold.

Beautiful project though...wtg

Mark

ps...definately want one.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My gods I love the green!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I like them too! And would likely buy one or the other when the details are known.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I would like one - I prefer the green.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I really like both but would probably go for the black'n'red version.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Keep in mind that it will be challenging to place title and author in a readable font size on the spine that will be very narrow and has raised hubs. The hubs prevent (inhibit) vertical type. The book width makes horizontal type difficult.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hesitate to comment on foreign copyright laws but I don't see any violation...especially since nothing is actually being copied. If no new copies being created it would be hard to argue copyright has been infringed. King has been compensated already.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm pleased to hear all the positive responses and that you guys like the look of the books. I have some work to do now to finalize things. This has given me a kick in the pants which I needed. I will provide updates and I plan to keep things moving along at a steady pace.

Quote Originally Posted by ruderabbit View Post
    Are both versions going to be available, or just one, once you decide which you like better?

I like them both. I think maybe silver would look better with the green though. Probably personal preference kicking in, as I don't care for yellow gold.

Beautiful project though...wtg

Mark

ps...definately want one.
    Hey Mark. Just wanted to answer your question. Yes, both versions will be available. So you have a choice. Either one or both. Also noted on the silver. Will consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Keep in mind that it will be challenging to place title and author in a readable font size on the spine that will be very narrow and has raised hubs. The hubs prevent (inhibit) vertical type. The book width makes horizontal type difficult.
    Good point Jerome. When I discussed the lettering with the bookbinder he didn't seem to think it would be an issue but I will double check before he makes any. Thanks for mentioning that.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Hey Paul,
    I'm late to the party, I love them! Count me in for a green one too!

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

If you don't sell it and just make it for yourself then zero copyright risk I guess. Not sure how that works as I have to think Grant/Subterranean/Centipede/etc Press type business MUST get permission for their books, but they are actually printing the pages vs you are just rebinding already printed and paid for pages. Similar to ancient books being rebound I imagine would be the best argument. I did one in Eastern Asian Sea Snake skin just for me. #1 (of only 1) of this special "Limited" edition.

(not professionally bound at all, but I managed to glue it and get it to stay together so far. haha!)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am rather excited by all this, sir.

am not too keen on the colors of rebind 2 but rebind 1 looks good enough to eat!

I love the uniqueness of the different bindings due to the skin.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Those are incredible, I love them both! This was my first King as well, which made me check out the only other King my library had (Skeleton Crew), which got me banned from reading King.

Great project!
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are amazing Paul! Like everyone else Id be interested as well. Bravo!

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like more want green than the black/red... can you do more of one than the other?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys... and Curt, nice homemade job there. I'm sure it has special meaning as you made it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Looks like more want green than the black/red... can you do more of one than the other?
    Becca, good question. I've been thinking about this the past couple of days. I never expected the sort of response I received on this project so I was a little taken aback. The simple answer is yes. I will make them based on the confirmed orders I receive. I really want everyone who wants one to get one. But at the same time, it's not going to be an open-ended thing where I make an "unlimited" number. My initial plan was 10 of each. It may end up that this number will change based on demand.

And just so you guys know, I'm not getting rich over this. Like I said on my first post, it's a homage to the book that started it all for me, and also as I get into it and I am seeing your enthusiastic feedback, I'm just excited about being able to create something that will be a source of excitement for what we all love.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool!

I'd like one. Not sure which. Both have their charms.

There is absolutely no copyright infringement. You are not copying or printing anything. Resale of books is legal. Rebinding books has been done since books were first created. The real point is whether you are harming King's copyright. I can see no rational argument that you are doing so.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/Copyright-Fair-Use-Appropriation-Derivation-Transformation-amp-Trademark-Patent-Law
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am also interested in one pending the price if any are available (prefer green if possible)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast