Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1344

Thread: Dragon Rebound

Gunslinger Apprentice Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35 is a name known to all Noxus35's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    I just hope I receive my usual FREE A or I or '0' or α or א copy, as usual, Paul.

I promise not to tell anybody!!!
    I won't tell anyone either if you sent that usual FREE copy to me, i promise. 🤫🤣
    A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    ...tough time finding enough books...
    I really wonder if this was the reason for making The Stand a Roman numeral edition, just the sheer difficulty of finding this many copies, in the necessary condition, of this particular King first edition. Perhaps there's always "enough" out there for someone with enough resources, but I do wonder if Paul found himself running into a brick wall on this.

...and then there's the cost of each (so many parts of Paul's job give me heartburn, and this is definitely one).
    Interesting thought....are these 1st printings? The copy says "book block from a Doubleday 1st edition originally published in 1978" it doesn't say 1st printing with T39 in the gutter?

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    Interesting thought....are these 1st printings? The copy says "book block from a Doubleday 1st edition originally published in 1978" it doesn't say 1st printing with T39 in the gutter?
    They are 1st printings, yes.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Cool. that's great!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is by no means a criticism in any way. I'm just bcurious as to the thoughts of many collectors. We all know, "The Stand" is a Doubleday production and the associated materials used were inferior. Personally, I think re-binding the page block makes a lot of sense and is good in the long run, but I have also noted that many collectors feel that any changes to the original production reduces value. Of course, I am aware that, Paul may be an exception to that rule seeing as he utilizes nothing but the best of materials and production values. Still, I am curious what collectors, in general think about something like this in let's say "hindsight". Quality editions of this book are already at a premium so what do you guys think about a number of them being taken off the market? I also assume many of the copies, Paul is using didn't have viable DJ's. Given that a standard rule is a DJ is 80% of a books value how does that factor in to an edition like this?

I'm not crapping on this effort at all or, in any way. I'm just wondering how folks really think about it and looking for their insight as King collectors for future reference. I post this simply to encourage some dialogue and to gain insight and information is all. Paul's standards and productions are far above any industry standards and I know these will be beautiful books. Just looking for some of your thoughts and considerations is all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I’m not a fan of rebound books anyway, but in this case only 10 copies of the original page block are being used, so I’m not concerned about them being taken off the market.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I’m not a fan of rebound books anyway, but in this case only 10 copies of the original page block are being used, so I’m not concerned about them being taken off the market.
    I'm not either. I mean I know that given the production materials utilized by DD there are fewer and fewer nice copies available (and I've got two) its just that I know there are a lot of "Purists" (?) out there and I was just hoping for some differing perspectives, opinions or, speculations on the subject. Merely for discussion purposes. I know that given it's, Paul they will sell out with many left wanting.

Back in the HF days, there was a lot of differing opinions on some of the "collectibles" we created and I was just curious if maybe the overall thinking had perhaps changed/evolved. Like I said, if anyone was going to do this, Paul is the man to do it and I am not distracting from this edition in the least. Just curious if the overall thinking had changed some or was still the same with this exception or what ever the current thinking is in the collecting community. I for one embrace these kinds of projects. I think it preserves a classic edition, revitalizes it and even makes it more desirable. Just that it didn't seem to be a popular opinion 5 or 6 years ago. Looking for the collective thoughts and discussion is all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's way too premature to look back in "hindsight". I think what Paul is doing is amazing, and IMO, will stand the test of time.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think it's way too premature to look back in "hindsight". I think what Paul is doing is amazing, and IMO, will stand the test of time.
    I'm not really "looking back" as much as gauging the current thought process. If you're not interested in sharing, then fuck it. I just thought it was a premise for discussion is all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Bill, I’ve never felt that well-crafted rebounds were a concern, especially when all that matters is the book block. It’s not just about a bad or missing dj, the covers may be stained or damaged as well - all of which can affect desirability of the original copy. While some projects may make us cringe (no specifics come to mind), I think Dragon Rebound does an honor to the original releases.

If DR is producing ten copies, I wonder how many 1st editions Paul had to buy to find enough suitable book blocks.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88 is a splendid one to behold OldCrow88's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow88 View Post
    Please help me out, was there a newsletter or email prior to existing DR customers prior to the news dropping on social media? I'm one of the 26 single-letter holders
    I'm a letter holder as well and received NO newsletter yesterday.

sk
    I never received the newsletter either. I suppose that's what set me off.
    Alright, we'll call it a draw.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    If DR is producing ten copies, I wonder how many 1st editions Paul had to buy to find enough suitable book blocks.
    Why the need for a 1st edition for any of the DR releases? Isn't the rebinding the point and attraction? If so, what difference does it make what edition is used as long as the page block is in good condition? This isn't directed at you Patrick, I'm just curious as to why it matters.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Why the need for a 1st edition for any of the DR releases? Isn't the rebinding the point and attraction? If so, what difference does it make what edition is used as long as the page block is in good condition?
    The insistence on first editions may be a fine-tuning of the notion that the book (not just the work itself, but the physical edition in question) should warrant the full Dragon rebinding treatment (individualized design with distinctive materials using the services of highly specialized craftsmen/women, not only for rebinding but for external cases and special extras).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Why the need for a 1st edition for any of the DR releases? Isn't the rebinding the point and attraction? If so, what difference does it make what edition is used as long as the page block is in good condition?
    The insistence on first editions may be a fine-tuning of the notion that the book (not just the work itself, but the physical edition in question) should warrant the full Dragon rebinding treatment (individualized design with distinctive materials using the services of highly specialized craftsmen/women, not only for rebinding but for external cases and special extras).
    I think you’ve nailed it. We collectors are so fixed on first editions that going to all that work and expense using anything else but 1sts would feel like a missed opportunity to avoid cutting corners - real or imagined.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

The book would receive the full DR treatment regardless of edition. Same block, same paper etc. and since it's a rebinding, not a newly designed limited edition, there is no enhancement of the interior. From a collector's standpoint, rather than altering a first edition and reducing true first edition inventory wouldn't it make more sense to use a later edition/printing?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The book would receive the full DR treatment regardless of edition. Same block, same paper etc. and since it's a rebinding, not a newly designed limited edition, there is no enhancement of the interior. From a collector's standpoint, rather than altering a first edition and reducing true first edition inventory wouldn't it make more sense to use a later edition/printing?
    Absolutely not. I would have zero interest if a later printing was used. It’s part of the “package “
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Using a later printing would be like building a time machine out of a DeLorean.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

HBJ
    Is it wrong to be conflicted by that statement?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The book would receive the full DR treatment regardless of edition.
    We don't know that because DR's only "treatment," thus far, for non-first editions has been to ignore them outright (this is why the question I answered - "why the need for a first edition?" - was asked).

If Paul were to mix in later printings with future rebound projects, I'm sure we'll hear from people about dilution and value etc.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

HBJ
    Is it wrong to be conflicted by that statement?
    Not at all, Simon. You can ride shotgun . Peter prefers the Model A I guess.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My personal definition of a rebound is to breathe new life into something in its most desired, original state. Rebinding anything outside of a 1st edition is pointless IMO.

The Stand is my all time favorite book and this edition would be the end all be all for me. Even above the coffin case.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Absolutely not. I would have zero interest if a later printing was used. It’s part of the “package “
    Interesting...everything would be exactly the same except for the designated edition. Since the rebinding has altered the original product can it still be considered a true first edition? If not, then what difference does it make which edition is utilized as long as it has received the DR treatment?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting...everything would be exactly the same except for the designated edition. Since the rebinding has altered the original product can it still be considered a true first edition? If not, then what difference does it make which edition is utilized as long as it has received the DR treatment?
    Purity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Of course it can be considered a rebound true 1st edition.

Purity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I respect your position but to me it's like quibbling over the medium (oil, acrylic, watercolor etc) and surface used (canvas, masonite, paper) in a beautiful painting. The art is in Paul's design and materials, not which block was used.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast