Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon Rebound

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dragon Rebound

Who owns a copy?

#OwnerPrinterS/L
    ARandall FlaggArcata Hawkins147
    BBr!anArcata Hawkins-
    CICry4OyArcata Fairfield-
    Dfiremonkey66Arcata Fairfield165
    EGeorge at C-SpringsArcata Fairfield7
    Fjsmcmullen92Arcata Hawkins589
    GAstroDadArcata Fairfield965
    HwolfehrHaddon-
    Icit74Haddon624
    Jbecca69Arcata Hawkins164
    KSentinel--
    LBeverly Marsh (sold)Haddon-
    MStroppyGoblinArcata Fairfield69
    NneedfulthingsArcata Fairfield195
    OjcmanskeArcata Hawkins8, 104
    P---
    Q---
    Reast-tennesseeHaddon-
    SzeligHaddon-
    THONKYTONKSMASH--
    Uke7285Haddon956
    VTommyHaddon-
    W---
    X---
    Ykingfan24Haddon-
    Zruderabbit--
    RCRandall FlaggHaddon-
    RCHavenHaddon-
    RCDavid Palladini--
    RC-Arcata Fairfield-

Arcata Hawkins5
    Arcata Fairfield7
    Haddon10

############################################

I have been working on this project for quite a few months now, and I want to share the details with you guys.

As some of you know, The Eyes of the Dragon was my first King book and it's what got this crazy ride started for me back in 1987. I wanted to do something to pay homage to the book that had such an impact on my life.

It has been quite a process to get to this point in the project as I'm a great procrastinator, and it has also required a huge amount of time. More than I expected at the outset.

My plan is to rebind 24 copies of the Viking 1st trade edition of The Eyes of the Dragon, with 20 being made available to forum members who are interested. There will be 10 of each style and I won't plan on making any more, so it will be a limited rebound edition.

There will be two different bindings, both full leather. Prototypes pictured below.

Rebind #1:
    Full leather binding using a textured leather to resemble the look of alligator skin. Raised bands on the spine with gold lines. Hand marbled endpapers and machine woven silk headbands with red and green striping. The final book will have the title and author printed on the spine. Custom cloth slipcase.

Rebind #2:
    Full leather binding using genuine cayman skin on the boards and cowhide leather for the spine. Raised bands on the spine with gold lines. Hand marbled endpapers and machine woven silk headbands with red and green striping. The final book will have the title and author printed on the spine. Custom cloth slipcase.

A note on the prototypes:

The images above are small prototypes that my bookbinder made so that we have an idea on the overall aesthetic. The final binding will be more refined in terms of quality, and each book will be unique due to the differences in leather textures, etc.

This will give you an idea on the size of these prototypes. I suppose we can call these rebinding proofs!

Part 2 will follow. There's still more to the plan involving David Palladini, the original artist, and I'll post details on that soon.

Hope you guys like the idea and I look forward to your comments!
    Last edited by stroppygoblin; 07-05-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

A) These are absolutely stunning. Great job!

B) Not to be a buzzkill, but aren't you going to run into any sort of legal issues here?

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, Paul! Those are both amazing, but that green one is my favorite!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You can put me down for a green one - love it.

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazing project, Paul! They both look spectacular!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Excellent, Paul.
    Personally, do not like the first one too much (Green is my least favorite color...), but love the second.
    Great job!

sk

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, very cool. This book is also one of my King cornerstone favorites, I'm glad to see it getting special treatment! (I'll take the green, my favorite color)

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that is beautiful Paul, love the green dragon skin and, whether on purpose or not, what looks like dragon eyes all along the spine. If not on purpose, go for that with the final! Please put my name down as interested in one when they become available! And, need I say it, for a proof as well :-) EOTD was my very first S/L, good old #7, love it!
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These are gorgeous. I love your passion and committment. Well done Paul.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I dont like it.

Why?

Any ideas on price right now?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice, Paul. So that's what you've been working on. The top one reminds me of the lettered Dean Koontz's Frankenstein Scripts.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'd be very much interested in a green copy as well, Paul. Outstanding work, my friend and congrats on a fantastic project! No doubt it had to be quite the undertaking.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Excellent planning and execution. It is labor of love projects like this that make TDT.org such an interesting and enjoyable place to visit.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

JUst wow. I AM IN...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am in for a green as well!

Those are amazing Paul

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post

B) Not to be a buzzkill, but aren't you going to run into any sort of legal issues here?
    Why?

If you buy 24 new cars, then paint them all a better color and put snake skin upholstery in them and then sell them as a private party that would be legal.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are amazing. Nice work!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Like everyone else here, I am absolutely astounded! I would love to get in on the deal. Both are stunning, but I think I prefer option two with cowhide and cayman skin binding.

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I would be in for a green as well.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Pardon my French but Holy &%$#. Those are amazing! I'm ascared to know the price....

Fine work sir!

Gunslinger Apprentice brionen has a spectacular aura about brionen has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

I'm interested in the green one, as well - provided my budget can handle it.

EOTD wasn't my first King book, but it was my first Hardcover purchase. I've always loved the dragon-scale texture on the cover - it's cool seeing it being taken a step further with the leather texture.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post

Why?

If you buy 24 new cars, then paint them all a better color and put snake skin upholstery in them and then sell them as a private party that would be legal.
    True, but cars aren't protected by copyright infringement laws. I'd be concerned as well; before you sink a lot of money into the project, Zelig, you may want to just touch base with a copyright attorney. Probably nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hasn't there been other rebound copies? I know Amereon did the Gunslinger, there's the 'Salem's Lot CP edition rebinding, and Outlook seem to do rebound editions relatively frequently. Hell, Jerome has done a couple rebound copies, like The Bachman books for this years fundraiser.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Copyright is a non-issue, as there are no copies being made. As long as he owns the physical books, he has the right to do whatever he wants to them before selling them again. That would include re-binding them.

First-Sale Doctrine

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    Copyright is a non-issue, as there are no copies being made. As long as he owns the physical books, he has the right to do whatever he wants to them before selling them again. That would include re-binding them.

First-Sale Doctrine
    Not be mention... the binder would be the one re-creating the work and selling it no?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 54 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast