Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dreamcatcher *Spoilers*

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Dreamcatcher *Spoilers*

I totally enjoyed this story, front to back. Aside from the DT books, this was the most entertaining book I've read from King this century!!!

I enjoyed all the "mind bending" writing as well as some gratuitous gore! He developed the main characters well and gave me some interesting perspective on the inner workings of the human mind.

Where do most of you rank this amongst King's catalog??? I'm definitely placing it in the top third. It was a fun read!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't like it

It generally felt less developed than regular King stories...like, if there had been more about the group of friends when they were kids, or even more about them as a group when they were older, I might have enjoyed it more. It seemed to jump straight into the action without the usual preamble I love about King. But as it was I didn't know them well enough to empathize.

I'd have liked a little more indepth get to know you stuff on Duddits too. He seemed thrown in there, which was weird considering he was so pivotal.

I dunno, I guess I'd some up my dislike of Dreamcatcher by saying it didn't flow well enough. The three main ideas (military side, alien/Jonesy stuff and the Duddits stuff) were badly stitched together and appeared overly longwinded where it should have been short, and rushed in the parts that I'd have liked to have been longer

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know what it was that attracted me to the story (maybe because I was on the beaches of Hawaii at the time, ). I actually liked the guys more as adults, so was okay not developing them as children. I thought the Duddits part could have been developed more, since he was a main figure.

Going in, I had no idea what this story was about. When they introduced aliens and military, I definitely saw the chance for it to fall flat, but I wound up really liking the Henry and Jonesy parts. And the page-turning action suited my mood.

And, King about made me gag with those fucking farts!!!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    I don't know what it was that attracted me to the story (maybe because I was on the beaches of Hawaii at the time, )
    Rub it in why don'cha!!

I actually liked the guys more as adults, so was okay not developing them as children.
    I liked them as adults too, I just wish we'd known more about, seen them interact more before they fell foul of the butt weasel

I wound up really liking the Henry and Jonesy parts.
    Yes, the parts where he was in the warehouse in his mind I really dug.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I totally enjoyed this story, front to back. Aside from the DT books, this was the most entertaining book I've read from King this century!!!

I enjoyed all the "mind bending" writing as well as some gratuitous gore! He developed the main characters well and gave me some interesting perspective on the inner workings of the human mind.

Where do most of you rank this amongst King's catalog??? I'm definitely placing it in the top third. It was a fun read!
    HEAR!!! HEAR!!!

I LOVED this book...
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

LMAO @ butt weasels! What an endearing group of critters they were, huh?

The "warehouse as the mind" concept was brilliant!!!

Crimson, I knew I liked you for some reason!

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Mr. Gray. "Bacon...WITH MAYO!!!!!!"
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Crimson, I knew I liked you for some reason!
    Can't be for a good one!
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I actually think I skipped that one.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    Unskip it.

If I were to compare it to Cell, I'd put it heads and shoulders above. Considering that King wrote this during a very trying time in his life, I applaud it even more.

Crimson....there's nothing bad about you!

CyberGhost, the parts where Mr. Gray ate food and had to "evacuate" thereafter were hilarious!!!

Unskip it.
    Well put!
    If I were to compare it to Cell, I'd put it heads and shoulders above. Considering that King wrote this during a very trying time in his life, I applaud it even more.
    I wouldn't compare the two, they're like apples and oranges, although Cell scared the hell out of me.

[Crimson....there's nothing bad about you!
    I know, I'm an angel.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Dreamcatcher, and although it will never make my Top Five King Novels, it sure belongs in my Top Ten. The only thing that disappointed me were the last fifty or so pages, that endless ride. My problem was that there was no development there. Everything was clear, the characters showed their full, one could see where everyone was driving at, both literally and figuratively, and it still went on and on and on.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and on.

No, I enjoyed the ending, but it wasn't one of his best endings. Nothing compared to The Dark Tower...but of course NOTHING compares to that.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

I really enjoy Dreamcatcher, but then again, I love all of King's books where he explores some epic friendship/relationship between characters. That's why I love IT and The Stand and The Dark Tower and The Talisman. I love the dynamic of the characters in Dreamcatcher; it's the reason I keep rereading it. I don't think this book is appreciated enough, most people I know didn't care for it. Their loss.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    I don't think this book is appreciated enough, most people I know didn't care for it. Their loss.
    I'm not sure why more folk don't like this book? Its one of my favorite non-DT King books. I wonder if its the aliens theme that puts so many off.

Traveler mr.nineteen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I don't like it as much. I liked Duddits very much though. And the parts inside the mind were great.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I love this book. I loved it so much I sat through the horrendous movie just so I could remember how good the book was.

DT, wasn't there a good 250 pages before the alien/military started getting involved? More time spent building characters before the real plot begins in this book than some of King's other works.

I love so much of the book; the male comaradre, hole in the wall and I felt all the characters were really well established. My favourite part of the book was Jonesy and Mr. Grey and their conflict. The lack of their real battles and the development of Mr. Grey in the movie was what killed it.

It was King's take on aliens and I thought it was about the most original that I've read/seen. Love the red moss and the catching telepathy.

What made this book so special was the shear amount of Heart that was written into it. It was the first book to really shift in style for King that it's understanding with his accident. The scenes with the guys together made me laugh and is just so well done. I think the only story from his I've read that felt more true to life and friends was Hearts In Atlantis. Whenever I think of the line from that story "We just couldn't stop laughing." It makes me think of good times with friends.

Country
    Country Flag

Duddits did add a lot to the story. He's one character that I wish King would have developed more. I've always loved how King can make heroes out of just about anyone--even one with Downs Syndrome. Bravo.

I don't remember exactly when Aliens were brought in, but it was a pleasant twist for me. I can see where some may not have liked it.

I did see this movie ages ago and don't remember a single thing about it (thank God for my short-term memory, ). I'll rent it soon.

Thanks for all the input.

BTW, Hearts In Atlantis was a great story! It just doesn't seem to matter what King writes about, his style is poetic.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

The bacon part nearly killed me because it was so funny...

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Unskip it.

Crimson....there's nothing bad about you!

CyberGhost, the parts where Mr. Gray ate food and had to "evacuate" thereafter were hilarious!!!
    I'll agree it was better than Cell, but I did NOT like this book much at all. I am rereading all my King now, so we'll see if I still hold the same opinion after that. But I don't have much hope.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I did see this movie ages ago and don't remember a single thing about it (thank God for my short-term memory, ). I'll rent it soon.[/q
    Do yourself a favour and don't. The first half of the movie is surprisingly accurate then it becomes the worst adaptation known to man.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeso View Post
    I really enjoy Dreamcatcher, but then again, I love all of King's books where he explores some epic friendship/relationship between characters.
    Me too, I just didn't think there was enough of it in this story, especially in comparison to something like It.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    DT, wasn't there a good 250 pages before the alien/military started getting involved? More time spent building characters before the real plot begins in this book than some of King's other works.
    It wasn't the alien angle that put me off, I thought that was very well done. With the military stuff I must admit, especially in relation to the latter part of your post where you mentioned HiA, that I also skipped the middle part of Hearts because I couldn't "get into it". That was over 10 years ago though, I'm going to reread Hearts shortly - so perhaps I'll appreciate it now, and then maybe I'll reread Dreamcatcher and appreciate that aspect of it too?

In general though I'm not a fan of military/war books or films. I mean, I'll always appreciate good writing or film making, but that genre just doesn't grab my interest.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The military aspect only takes up the middle of the book and some of the main characters are intertwined with it so it's no fully a separate.

Also, I'm curious on how it's been over ten years since you tried reading two books that have been out for 9 and 7 years, respectively lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Dreamcatcher just before Christmas for the first time. HiA I read a long time ago, 10 years was just a rough guess.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast