Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Music Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:!: The Great Music Tournament: Overall Event Overview

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are only a few days away from the start of our most ambitious tournament ever! I am grateful to everyone for participating in the preceding nomination process, but now the real fun begins! This thread will serve as your launching pad for the various stages of the tournament and will help track the various threads, results, and announcements.

The structure has been discussed at length in the main announcement thread but here it is to refresh anyone's memory or for anyone new:
    1. There are 1,456 tracks nominated overall, divided into 14 time periods of five years within 8 decades, covering the last 70 years of popular music from the end of World War II to today (1945-2014).
    2. The tournament will actually consist of 14 consecutive tournaments for each time period, followed by a face-off between the winners of each of the 14 five-year periods to determine the best piece of music of all time (or rather of the last 70 years... you know what I mean).
    3. There will be three initial rounds, each going for about a month. The first two time periods (1945-1949 and 1950-1954) will only go through two rounds.
    4. This will be followed by five rounds of playoffs: the initial two rounds followed by the quarterfinals, the semifinals, and the finals.
    5. After the playoffs we will have 14 winners, each representing its time period. Seeded based on percentages acquired throughout the tournament, they will then go on to the Tournament Final, the ultimate showdown to determine our last song standing.

Yes, this will take a long time, and there will be lots of songs to listen to and many polls each day to vote on. But I believe this will be incredibly fun and interesting. I think everyone did a great job nominating a very eclectic mix of well known classics and more obscure gems, and voting on these, even in the early rounds, will be difficult, since everything is so good!

Note: each poll will be open for 7 days and any tiebreaker polls will be open for 4 days.

ROUND 1

ROUND 2

ROUND 3

PLAYOFFS ROUND 1

PLAYOFFS ROUND 2

QUARTERFINALS

FINALS

Monday, December 19, 2016
    Tuesday, December 20, 2016
    TOURNAMENT FINALS

Monday, January 2, 2017
    Monday, January 9, 2017
    Monday, January 16, 2017
    Monday, January 23, 2017
    Monday, January 30, 2017
    Last edited by mae; 01-30-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The lists have been randomized using random.org at least 10 times.

Are you SURE that is enough randomizing? I smell a rat!

LOL!!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

IMHO, you should have made this thing "about" something. HF or something else would be fine. Otherwise, it's just kind of a "jerk off". Don't mean squat, doesn't help anyone, just "online masturbation". Sorry to say that, but it's the truth. Who really gives a flying F^^^ how it all come out? Are there some sort of stakes? Just "Online masturbation". I apologize for stating the truth.

Spoiler:
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    IMHO, you should have made this thing "about" something. HF or something else would be fine. Otherwise, it's just kind of a "jerk off". Don't mean squat, doesn't help anyone, just "online masturbation". Sorry to say that, but it's the truth. Who really gives a flying F^^^ how it all come out? Are there some sort of stakes? Just "Online masturbation". I apologize for stating the truth.

Spoiler:

Ok Bill...stop...I'll send you videos of me masturbating...leave pablo alone!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...Don't mean squat, doesn't help anyone, just "online masturbation"...
    You just described 99% of what most people do on the internet. Unless you are running a business, it's just a diversion. What's the difference if we spend time voting on favorite novels, listening and commenting on music, or filling out basketball brackets?

Or watching cat videos; or clicking on "20 celebrities that got fat"; or seeing how many movies Johnny Depp has been in; or playing drop-3 games; or posting pictures of our lunch; or any other blah blah blah. None of it means anything.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man you put a LOT of work into this.... wow!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just a heads up that the first groups for the 1940s will be closing on Monday, so you have three days to get a vote in if you haven't yet.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    ...Don't mean squat, doesn't help anyone, just "online masturbation"...
    You just described 99% of what most people do on the internet. Unless you are running a business, it's just a diversion. What's the difference if we spend time voting on favorite novels, listening and commenting on music, or filling out basketball brackets?

Or watching cat videos; or clicking on "20 celebrities that got fat"; or seeing how many movies Johnny Depp has been in; or playing drop-3 games; or posting pictures of our lunch; or any other blah blah blah. None of it means anything.
    I suppose you are right. Idle (bored) hands are the devil's work. Carry on and just ignore me. Cranky old fart that I am!!! LOL My apologies, with all that has been going on here and in my home, my emotions have been all over the place to say the least. Pablo, has indeed done a lot of work and the thing is fun. I guess I just succumb to dark thoughts at times. My bad, please carry on. At times, my dedication to the HF is my safe place. No excuse though.

Spoiler:
    Jon, you can keep the pics to yourself. No problem!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Just a reminder that the first eight polls (the 1940s) are closing Monday morning and the following day the first group of the early 1950s is closing. Please get your votes in, if you haven't yet. Looks like those 1950-1954 groups could use some more votes for sure.

Country
    Country Flag

A bit more tiebreakers than I would have liked but I think going forward there should be less (hopefully) as more folks join in on the fun (hopefully).

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

]
    It is about something. It's about having fun and creating a platform to discuss music. No offense to the Haven Fund, but not everything on the site revolves around the Haven Fund.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The lists have been randomized using random.org at least 10 times.

Are you SURE that is enough randomizing? I smell a rat!

LOL!!!
    I've found it interesting that even though quite a few artists had multiple songs nominated, I have yet to run across a group that has the same artist twice. Was this by design or completely by chance?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

By design. But going forward it's going to be completely possible for a group to contain more than one track by the same artist.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

We could end up with one that has at least 3 different Beatles tracks. I think I counted 15 different nominations for them over all the time periods.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

It will be quite interesting to see during the playoffs when it's all one on one, if any artist's songs go at one another.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I wanna give a shout out to Pablo for putting in all the hard work for this. I am having a blast with this whole thing.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    Jon, you can keep the pics to yourself. No problem!! LOL
    *Shreds the pics and throws them away on top of GSD's Eagles tickets.*

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I wanna give a shout out to Pablo for putting in all the hard work for this. I am having a blast with this whole thing.
    I'm glad you are everyone else who's participating and voting are enjoying the process! As we're about to hit the 1990s in our first round, I just wanted to thank everyone as well. This is meant to have fun, to listen to some great music, and make some tough decisions sometimes, but not as tough as at an actual ballot box. So please stick around, as this will be a very long process, but overall really fascinating.

I have a hard time voting in some threads. And what I mean is this: I have a hard time deciding whether to vote for a song just because it's quintessential to that era or because it's a good song. I'm seeing plenty of songs that I liked as a 12/13 year old, but wouldn't want to hear now, so I can't decide whether that counts as something worth voting for.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

FINALLY THE 90'S!

Country
    Country Flag

And we are about to hit the 21st century this week, the last week of polls for Round 1! There will be an extra poll on Saturday, please keep in mind.

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that second half of the 1985-1989 groups closed with lower participation than usual (we've had so far in most of the threads around up to 19-22 votes, and in these it was around 14-16), which in part resulted in some six tiebreaker polls! Crazy stuff!

Groups 1-8 for the 2005-2009 time period were a real struggle to get through. That probably had the lowest percentage of songs I didn't recognize at all behind maybe the group from the 40's.

I listened to all the songs but there were a lot that I just didn't connect with. There was even one group where I only voted for one song. I haven't had that happen in quite awhile.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

The Kill by 30 Seconds to Mars should have been in this competition. This single set a record for the longest running hit in the history of the US Modern Rock chart.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast