Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Packaging Jobs - Shipping issues - Why???

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Underscoring the needlessness of bad packaging, I just received 2 books (a set) that I bought on eBay, and I'm pretty sure these things would've survived if they'd been dropped from a helicopter:

- each book was wrapped in thin (relatively) bubble wrap
    - the two books were placed together and wrapped in plastic wrap (kind of like Saran Wrap)
    - this bundle was wrapped in thicker bubble wrap
    - this wrapped bundle was enclosed with cardboard (not quite a box; it didn't close)
    - the parts of this cardboard enclosure that overhung the shape of the book-bundle was filled in with foam inserts (making the entire thing a kind of brick with no indents)
    - that brick was wrapped again in bubble wrap
    - all inside the final cardboard box

The books themselves are immaculate and appear never to have been touched (I think they were printed around 1950); I bought them because they appeared (in the listing) to be in much better condition than other such sets I'd seen for sale. It was nice that the seller made sure they stayed that way when they fell into my clutches.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Final follow up. Borderlands did resend book - in same crummy envelope. But it was wrapped in a plastic bag like you'd put your veggies in! Progress I suppose. Anyway, it got here safe and sound.

Today got Little Book from CD. Big box - peanuts etc. Bash 'em all you want - they pack well.
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Received two packages with the Institute yesterday, both from Amazon. One was my own purchase, and one was one I won from Tomas at stephenkingcollector.com

My copy was mailed in a padded envelope with no additional packaging. The package from Tomas (sent as a gift), was at least in a box, with just one crumpled up sheet of packing paper on top. Amazons packaging just keeps getting worse and worse.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Received two packages with the Institute yesterday, both from Amazon. One was my own purchase, and one was one I won from Tomas at stephenkingcollector.com

My copy was mailed in a padded envelope with no additional packaging. The package from Tomas (sent as a gift), was at least in a box, with just one crumpled up sheet of packing paper on top. Amazons packaging just keeps getting worse and worse.
    Agreed - Amazon's packaging (for books) sucks! At least you can return and re-return and re-re-return as needed until you get a nice copy. My worst experience took four copies to get an undamaged book - by the third return they actually paid special attention to it, shrinkwrapped it to a board, and added puff packs. Also, while they've definitely slacked off more on packaging, they've made returns super easy. Now I can just bring the item into a UPS location and have them scan my phone - I don't even need to pack it up first.

My copy of The Institute was in the same padded envelope, but was in perfect condition. I'm waiting today for my copies of The Testaments and hoping they arrive in similar condition. We'll see how friendly the UPS folks and I get during the process... I did get some credit from Amazon already, as they were supposed to arrive yesterday. It's not the free month of Prime that they used to do, though - now it's just $5. Missing the guaranteed delivery date is another thing they've gotten sloppy with over the last couple years.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's the one thing Amazon has been spot on for me personally. It's always on time if not early.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post

Agreed - Amazon's packaging (for books) sucks! At least you can return and re-return and re-re-return as needed until you get a nice copy. My worst experience took four copies to get an undamaged book - by the third return they actually paid special attention to it, shrinkwrapped it to a board, and added puff packs. Also, while they've definitely slacked off more on packaging, they've made returns super easy. Now I can just bring the item into a UPS location and have them scan my phone - I don't even need to pack it up first.

My copy of The Institute was in the same padded envelope, but was in perfect condition. I'm waiting today for my copies of The Testaments and hoping they arrive in similar condition. We'll see how friendly the UPS folks and I get during the process... I did get some credit from Amazon already, as they were supposed to arrive yesterday. It's not the free month of Prime that they used to do, though - now it's just $5. Missing the guaranteed delivery date is another thing they've gotten sloppy with over the last couple years.
    All of these issues started with using U.S Mail instead of Fed Ex or On Trac. Orders are often late, damaged, or do not show up at all for me. Prime conveniently got changed from two day guarantee to 2 days from when the item is shipped. Bullshit.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

All of these issues started with using U.S Mail instead of Fed Ex or On Trac. Orders are often late, damaged, or do not show up at all for me. Prime conveniently got changed from two day guarantee to 2 days from when the item is shipped. Bullshit.

Everything I have ever ordered from Amazon arrived via USPS. They've been late once and it was Amazon's fault. Also the USPS doesn't package their stuff for them.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

Everything I have ever ordered from Amazon arrived via USPS. They've been late once and it was Amazon's fault. Also the USPS doesn't package their stuff for them.
    Good that they are efficient in your area. Not mine. And USPS Doesnt pack them but they will abuse them, dent them, and I have had three packages with TIRE TREADS on them. Yep. Completely run over.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny enough I was flying this week with United and watched them pull all the bags off the plane. 3/4 were customer bags which they tossed around and the last 1/4 was USPS mail and packages who h they might as well as drop kicked into the tram that carried it. Seeing that I wonder if it is USPS or the transportation team they use to get it from State to state

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Country
    Country Flag

Waterstones strikes again. Still figuring out how to mail A FUCKING BOOK apparently.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ouch. Love the shade of blue though.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Last time I got a second printing on a trade and this time damaged dust jacket. Barnes and Noble? Nope. Amazon? Nope. Cemetery Dance. Yep. Either poor packing or shipping out damaged product. Either is not good.

ANYTHING DT Related #246

Country
    Country Flag

They'll make it right, Bryan.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah shoot them an email they’ll fix it no question.

Country
    Country Flag

Fucking file folders would not even be sent this way by a person with more than 6 brain cells. Book Condition? Perfect. Must have been the plastic produce bags used for padding that saved it.

looking for: The Terror S/L,
    Dead Zone 1st/1st F or NF, Boy's Life S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246

Gunslinger Apprentice TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about TnTzDad has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Made a phenomal deal to get this book. Also made sure to ask how it would be shipped and if he would insure it. Quote: "I will also make sure the book is securely wrapped. I put so much bubble wrap on it you could drop it off the roof." Only because he wrapped it enough did it survive. No insurance, though. Make note if you opt to buy his other sets of 754, and he is in a position to take a reasonably low offer.

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Woooo that could have been some bad news. Happy for you that it wasn't damaged.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Wow, that's a great packing job! I'm glad the book was unscathed.

Unfortunately, I *didn't* quite pack a recent item quite well enough (three oversized books in a slipcase), and it sustained damage in transit to the buyer. I always pack in a sturdy box, with each book individually bubble-wrapped, and packed firmly in packing peanuts or foam, with plenty of clearance around the item ... but this item still got a badly dinged corner. First time it's ever happened to me as a seller, and it broke my heart to see it.

So I'm being even more careful about packing now - especially since items seem to spend more time "in the system" when posting USPS.

(I *never* use Priority mail boxes, incidentally. Always corrugated cardboard boxes from U-LINE).

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally...I am not a huge fan when a seller wraps my book in bubble wrap and tapes it up like a mummy. PLEASE PEOPLE.....IF YOU ARE WRAPPING YOUR BOOKS IN BUBBLE WRAP....TAPE IT SHUT WITH SCOTCH TAPE......NOT SHIPPING TAPE.

Here is the recipe for a well packed book:

1. Box that is at least four inches taller, wider and deeper then book. So if your book is 8" x 10" x 2"......it needs to go in a box that is 12" x 14" x 6"...now there is is a 2" gap on all sides.
    2. Lay down a 1-2" bed for the book. Several sheets of bubble wrap or a layer of foam peanuts.
    3. Lay down a piece of cardboard that is the same width and length of the inside of the box.
    4. Put book in clean/new plastic bag. I buy one gallon "bread bags" (the kind that come with twist ties) and put each book I sell in them. This keeps the book clean.
    5. Put bagged book on top of cardboard....centered.
    6. Fill in gap between the book and the sides of the box with foam peanuts level with the book or just higher.
    7. Lay down a sheet of bubblewrap.
    8. Lay down a piece of cardboard that is the same width and length of the inside of the box.
    9. Fill in the remainder of the box with foam peanuts. Pack tightly...but not so tight you can't close the box or damage the book.
    10. If the first two flaps don't touch. lay a piece of cardboard in the gap....that way a knife won't damage the book.
    11. Tape the box shut. Down the middle and four small pieces to make sure it all stays put.

The key to success are steps #3 and #8. This makes the sides of the box crush-resistant.

Another key to success is filling the box completely. No air pockets. Gaps in the box allow for your book to flop around like a fish inside. The book needs to be centered, surrounded and immobilized..

FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sage advice.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Thanks tippy. I'll add those pieces of cardboard to my usual method. I clean bag, then bubble-wrap-bag, taped with scotch tape if required, then peanuts all around - especially the box corners - with plenty of clearance on all sides. then close, shake test, then shipping tape along all joins top and bottom.

Adding the extra cardboard sheets is a great idea.

HBJ

P.S. Oh, and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    PLEASE PEOPLE.....IF YOU ARE WRAPPING YOUR BOOKS IN BUBBLE WRAP....TAPE IT SHUT WITH SCOTCH TAPE......NOT SHIPPING TAPE.
    Couldn't agree more. Receiving books in bubble wrap completely wrapped around with shipping tape is the worst. You don't want a tape that is stronger than the plastic you're wrapping the book in. Scotch tape is strong enough to keep the bubble wrap closed, and easy to remove without any real force. Easy to cut, too.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Gunslinger Apprentice Ivo will become famous soon enough Ivo will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Thanks tippy. I'll add those pieces of cardboard to my usual method. I clean bag, then bubble-wrap-bag, taped with scotch tape if required, then peanuts all around - especially the box corners - with plenty of clearance on all sides. then close, shake test, then shipping tape along all joins top and bottom.

Adding the extra cardboard sheets is a great idea.

HBJ

P.S. Oh, and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    PLEASE PEOPLE.....IF YOU ARE WRAPPING YOUR BOOKS IN BUBBLE WRAP....TAPE IT SHUT WITH SCOTCH TAPE......NOT SHIPPING TAPE.
    Couldn't agree more. Receiving books in bubble wrap completely wrapped around with shipping tape is the worst. You don't want a tape that is stronger than the plastic you're wrapping the book in. Scotch tape is strong enough to keep the bubble wrap closed, and easy to remove without any real force. Easy to cut, too.
    I always use a 1/2” masking tape, another easy one to cut.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ivo View Post
    I always use a 1/2” masking tape, another easy one to cut.
    Yes!

Scotch or masking tape work great for this.....and both are easy to see. Clear shipping tape wrapped around the bubble wrap is a huge pain in the ass.

FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sigh. I got two more hardcovers in envelopes today. Well, one in an envelope and one literally wrapped in a manila folder and nothing else. Just a folder taped around it. Why?!?

Luckily neither was anything especially fancy or expensive, but still, come on!

Country
    Country Flag

Gotta love the ol' manila folder treatment. Top of the line stuff there. I prefer cereal boxes myself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast