Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: jcmanske

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Collection: jcmanske

"Beware the man of one book."
    ----Latin Proverb

"As book collectors know all too well: We only regret our economies, never our extravagances."
    ----Michael Dirda(Washington Post Book Critic)

“Sometimes, looking at the many books I have at home, I feel I shall die before I come to the end of them, yet I cannot resist the temptation of buying new books. Whenever I walk into a bookstore and find a book on one of my hobbies — for example, Old English or Old Norse poetry — I say to myself, “What a pity I can’t buy that book, for I already have a copy at home.”
    ―--- Jorge Luis Borges, This Craft of Verse

I began reading as a young boy, primarily Hardy Boys books, The Hobbit, and other standard young male fare. When I was in high school, I stumbled onto King. My first experience of anything connected to Stephen King came when I went to see Carrie as a 15 year old in the local movie theater. I then went and picked up a copy of Salem's Lot and haven't stopped reading King since. Boy, do I wish I had held on to those hardback books I had purchased back in the day. I'm a huge fan of the Dark Tower series, but I was one of those Constant Readers that had never picked up The Gunslinger until several years ago. Now, I've finished all of the books and love them.

Being a Constant Reader and appreciator of good books, it seems it's only natural to progress from being an accumulator of books to a collector. In addition to King, I also collect Dean Koontz, George R.R. Martin and have been trying to put togther a collection of the John D. MacDonald Travis McGee hardback, 1st/1sts. As far as King, my interests are signed limiteds, lettered editions, proofs and manuscripts. I'm still a voracious reader and enjoy Lee Child, the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva, Robert Crais, and lots of other popular fiction.

After hanging around thedarktower.org for a little more than a year now and admiring everyone else's collection threads, I decided the time has come to start my own thread. While my day job keeps me pretty busy, I'll try and update this as I have time.

First up is my collection of books about King. I really enjoy reading the back stories behind the books, the stories about other collectors and King's evolution as an author.

The Shape Under The Sheet: The Stephen King Encyclopedia (Lettered)

Stephen King: The Non-Fiction (Lettered)

The Road to the Dark Tower (S/L)

Stephen King from A to Z (S/L)

The Essential Stephen King: The Complete and Uncut Edition (Lettered)

Lilja's Library: The World of Stephen King (Lettered)

Bare Bones: Presentation Copy

Bare Bones: Lettered Copy AA
    Last edited by jcmanske; 01-05-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Changed photo and added an item

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default More Books about King

The Stephen King Companion (S/L)

The Stephen King Companion (Revised 1995, Deluxe edition: blue ink)

The Stephen King Story (Lettered)

Stephen King Country (S/L)

Fear Itself (Presentation Copy)

Stephen King: Man and Artist (75 copy S/L)

Stephen King: Man and Artist (400 copy S/L)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow! I gotta say... That is pretty cool! You have a ton of books on King!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice collection!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Some very nice editions.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice to see someone else posting their 'Books about King' acquisitions, a topic very close to my heart

One or two there I am very jealous of, especially the 75 copied Man and Artist, I've been looking for that for a while.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

WOW!!! Very nice collection!!! I look forward to further updates and additions!!! Way to go, my friend!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice Jeff. I picked up a copy of "Stephen King: Man and Artist" 1 / 75 S/L, about 10 years ago at a small bookstore in Bangor (not Betts), and I thought it was a beautiful edition. I had never heard of it before and so I bought it. I have never seen a copy since. Mine was only signed by Terrell, but it is a lovely book. Well done.

Gerald

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Wow! I gotta say... That is pretty cool! You have a ton of books on King!
    Appreciate you checking them out and thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Nice collection!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    Some very nice editions.
    I love the interaction on this site. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    WOW!!! Very nice collection!!! I look forward to further updates and additions!!! Way to go, my friend!!!
    Thank you for the encouragement! I'll try and post more when I can find the time. I'm excited about creating a collection thread!

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Nice to see someone else posting their 'Books about King' acquisitions, a topic very close to my heart

One or two there I am very jealous of, especially the 75 copied Man and Artist, I've been looking for that for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    Very nice Jeff. I picked up a copy of "Stephen King: Man and Artist" 1 / 75 S/L, about 10 years ago at a small bookstore in Bangor (not Betts), and I thought it was a beautiful edition. I had never heard of it before and so I bought it. I have never seen a copy since. Mine was only signed by Terrell, but it is a lovely book. Well done.

Gerald
    Gerald and Stroppy,

Thanks for the nice words, guys! Before I found the 1/75 "Stephen King: Man and Artist," I first picked up the Red numbered Eyes of the Dragon inscribed to Carroll Terrell. So, I did my best to learn more about Mr. Terrell and once I learned who he was and his connection to Stephen King, I searched for his books and luckily stumbled onto the Man and Artist and quickly snatched it up. Like you guys, I think the 1/75 Man and Artist is beautiful book. Here are pics of the Eyes of the Dragon:

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A VERY nice collection !!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting collection! Looking forward to seeing more!

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Very interesting collection! Looking forward to seeing more!

John
    Thanks, John! I always enjoy your comments and feedback. Plus, I LOVE your proof collection--something to aspire towards!

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    A VERY nice collection !!!
    Thank you very much!!! One of the other great things about this board is that you actually get feedback on your collection--not so much in real life and in the day to day existence.

Country
    Country Flag

One of my favorite items that I acquired from Tim (AKC) is also a red lettered Eyes of the Dragon. Like many others here, Tim has been very generous with me and passed on to me several of his treasured possessions in his pursuit of bigger and better things. This item is one of my favorites and isn't likely going anywhere anytime soon. In addition to the low number, I love that it was given as a Christmas gift from Stephen King to Don Grant. In a perfect world, I guess it would be no. 19 (SK didn't know the significance of that number in 1984), but I'm not complaining! Now, if I can just find that matching Plant set inscribed to Don Grant. I have a recollection of reading on here that it already resides in someone's collection.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful!

John

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Lovely books! I look forward to seeing the proofs you have in your collection! And everything else, of course.

Country
    Country Flag

Beautiful!

John
    Thanks, John! The Don Grant EOTD is one of my favorite items in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Lovely books! I look forward to seeing the proofs you have in your collection! And everything else, of course.
    Michael, I promise to post some proofs, but don't have as many as I want yet. They are tough little rascals to find, particularly at a reasonable price. Thanks for your comment!

Country
    Country Flag

Default Signed Limited Editions

Since I just posted a couple of S/L editions, I figured I'd continue with that theme. Here is my first shelf of signed limited editions:

Firestarter Signed limited editions (I'm trying to collect one signed on each of the four days King signed this edition--it's an ambitious goal because of the cost and they aren't always easy to find--two down, two to go)

Danse Macabre S/L

Cujo S/L(Found an extra one at a great price and figured I'd save it to trade for something else someday. In my opinion, it doesn't hurt to have multiples of the early signed limited in great condition.

Christine S/L

The Talisman S/L

Dolan's Cadillac S/L

Six Stories S/L

Country
    Country Flag

More signed limiteds

The Green Mile S/L

Blockade Billy S/L

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking really nice!

John

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love seeing the early S/Ls.
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

BOOM... buddy is collecting multiples. lol NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mind=Blown.
    I love what I'm seeing!

Country
    Country Flag

Looking really nice!
    Thanks! I'm enjoying putting the collection thread together.

Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post
    I love seeing the early S/Ls.
    Agreed! They are by far the toughest to acquire in fine condition. I love the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    BOOM... buddy is collecting multiples. lol NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just on the Firestarter. Although it can be tough not to pull the trigger when you stumble on a really good deal

Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Mind=Blown.
    I love what I'm seeing!
    Thanks! That's exactly how I feel when I go through everyone's collection thread, too!

Country
    Country Flag

Default More Signed Limiteds

Cycle of the Werewolf S/L(Would love to find a matching portfolio someday)

Skeleton Crew S/L

The Stand S/L
    Like most everyone else, The Stand is probably my favorite S/L. I keep all of my books at my office because I spend so much time here and they are a great conversation piece for visitors. In my office, there is a phone stand, which is my "coffin" for the "coffin edition" of The Stand S/L. I also enjoy that this copy is no. 2.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Truly awesome!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast