Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Threads 1 - 4 have already stalled. Adding even more threads to the equation will only make matters worse...

People will just concentrate on the new thread and ignore the others, rather like what is currently happening on the 1965 - 1969 thread. All activity on that thread to the detriment of the earlier ones. There has been no activity on threads 1 - 4 for several days now, and I cannot nominate again until someone else does....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

From what I see right now, looks like you can make a nomination in threads #1 and #2, and after someone makes one nomination in the other three.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Most times when I check a thread there might be 5 or 6 new nominations, but many folks nominating aren't bothering to second anything. I'd like to second more songs, but I have to wait for 2 others to do so in the meanwhile. But it's only nominate, nominate, nominate...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I always make sure to check all noms and see if there's anything I can second (if I think it should be). I don't believe I can at the moment. Folks, do please second nominations if you feel they're worthy of making the list. I update all seconded and unseconded nominations in the first post of each thread with a direct link to it, so you can listen to the track if you missed it when it was originally nominated.

Country
    Country Flag

I updated the restriction for Thread #2 to one as well.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been here since 2007, my friend.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, I think the way you're handling the time frame is fine. Agree with your points.

Country
    Country Flag

I think we'll keep the five current threads going for a little while and once we get some more traction, I'll put up the next two, the '70s. And so on every once in a little while. We're in no rush, but hopefully we can get through the nominations by the end of January. I'm sure from the '80s on it will go by quick because that music is just much more familiar to a lot of folks.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ha. It's the opposite for me. I'm very familiar with music from the mid '50s and '60s, and even through into the early '80s. I'd say Queen, Blondie, Supertramp, George Thorogood, the Eagles, and the Stray Cats represent the outer limit of my musical interest, timeline-wise. Anything more recent than that, I pretty much have no clue.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm like that with most popular music of late but I've been researching and listening to a bunch of different stuff, both old and new. YouTube and Spotify and Pandora are indispensable for that. And because of the Internet I've really been exposed to so much great music I wouldn't otherwise get to hear in the last 15 years.

That's actually part of the idea of this thing, to not only nominate the well-known stuff but also educate each other on music that's truly great but not as renowned. If something is good, it's good, I say. Doesn't matter if it spent a month at #1 or could not get there in a million years. Discovering new music is always exciting. Especially great music.

Country
    Country Flag

So a week in here's where we are at the moment with the nominations:

1945-1949: 7 noms out of 56 - 12.5% (3 not yet seconded)
    1950-1954: 7 noms out of 112 - 6.25% (1 not yet seconded)
    1955-1959: 21 noms out of 112 - 18.75% (5 not yet seconded)
    1960-1964: 9 noms out of 112 - 8.04% (7 not yet seconded)
    1965-1969: 17 noms out of 112 - 15.18% (12 not yet seconded)

61 noms altogether, which is 4.03% of the total of 1,512. Still a ways to go and hopefully more peeps will join in!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Is it possible to make the announcement at the top of the site include an actual clickable link? I had to copy/paste it to get here.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

I'll ask RF. But in the meantime, to get here, we're right under The Forge.

Also, Thread #6 should be going up tomorrow to spur more activity, but just to remind, that doesn't mean nominations have stopped in other threads. And keep in mind Threads #1 and #2 are one a 1-nom/second waiting period, as they have kinda stalled

Country
    Country Flag

Just another little PSA. When looking for a video for your nomination on YouTube, I would suggest clicking on the "Filters" options at the top of the results and selecting "HD". The HD videos will usually yield much better sounding versions. So if you can find an HD version of your track (more often than not a few should be available), please consider using that, so that everyone can have the best experience possible with the song.

And again, please do look in on the first two threads, as they have stalled shamefully.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I didn't think 112 nominations would be that difficult to come up with in a single 5-year period but as of right now the highest total any of them have is 46. I have another dozen or so yet on my list to nominate between the years of '61 and '79 (which we haven't even gotten to yet). Were we too ambitious in our thinking?

I don't know how anyone else has been coming up with songs but I've just been browsing through Youtube and when I see a song I like I write it down and check the year later.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Were we too ambitious in our thinking?
    I really don't think so. I linked to four great resources earlier which you can use, as well as just looking up favorite artists on Wikipedia (which also has lots of lists and stuff). And yeah just searching YouTube and Google. And your memory.

Country
    Country Flag

Thread #7 just went up, which brings us up to 1979. We are at the halfway point now, and the '80s begin on January 1, 2016!

Rock on

Country
    Country Flag

And updated stats through two weeks:

1945-1949: 19 noms out of 56 - 33.93% (6 not yet seconded)
    1950-1954: 16 noms out of 112 - 14.29% (2 not yet seconded)
    1955-1959: 37 noms out of 112 - 33.04% (12 not yet seconded)
    1960-1964: 36 noms out of 112 - 32.14% (11 not yet seconded)
    1965-1969: 56 noms out of 112 - 50% (21 not yet seconded)
    1970-1974: 34 noms out of 112 - 30.36% (22 not yet seconded)

198 noms altogether, which is 13.09% of the total of 1,512.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't been nominating because no Internet and videos never embed right on phone. Can I still momimate without embedding?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I haven't been nominating because no Internet and videos never embed right on phone. Can I still momimate without embedding?
    I will help you Matts.

Nominate and add the link to the video that you want, and I will help you embed it onto the thread. Sorted.

Country
    Country Flag

I can edit posts here, so I'll fix it, no worries.

Country
    Country Flag

I gotta say, I'm really enjoying the process thus far. I hope everyone else is too. I think we all are getting to listen to some truly great music - our favorites, stuff we may not have heard before, and tunes we haven't heard in years. It will be very tough to vote some of these gems out. I've pretty much loved every song seconded so far. I keep wondering if it will be possible to have the same artist come out on top (or in the Final) for more than one time period. Anyone foresee that?

Country
    Country Flag

I can see Led Zeppelin or Queen or The Eagles winning more than once.

Country
    Country Flag

So I've been working out some math and looking back at my post here. Trying to come up with the best possible layout as far as the voting phase will go. I just wanted to know what you good people thought of the structure. So, what I think will happen, once all nominations are in, the 112-track eras will go through the three rounds as outlined before, ending up with 24 titles at the end, and the 56-track eras (we may need to cut 1950-1955 short, it seems like) will go through two rounds:

112 nominations:
    • Round 1: 16 groups of 7 with the top 5 moving on (80 total)
    • Round 2: 16 groups of 5 with the top 3 moving on (48 total)
    • Round 3: 24 groups of 2 with the top 1 moving on (24 total)

56 nominations:
    • Round 1: 8 groups of 7 with the top 5 moving on (40 total)
    • Round 2: 8 groups of 5 with the top 3 moving on (24 total)

So, heading into the playoffs will be 336 tracks overall. Each of the 14 eras will be going through a one-and-done playoff using this template. This is a ranked template, and tracks will be ranked throughout the first 2 or 3 rounds by the average percentage of votes received. So, this rank will be used to seed them 1 through 24, with the top eight getting a bye into the second round of playoffs.

Once a winner is declared in each time period, the 14 winners will then also go onto a round-robin seeding tournament and a face-off playoff (because just a playoff between 14 tracks seems unfair). The 13-round round-robin will start with all tracks at zero points each facing off against one other track and the winner receiving 1 point and the loser 0. In event of a tie, 0.5 points will be awarded to both tracks. The points earned during the round-robin will determine the order for the final face-off, using this template. In this template the top four tracks are getting a bye all the way to the Quarterfinals, while the others go through a preliminary two-round battle.

I know it sounds daunting and kinda confusing, but at the end of the day I think it will work perfectly. What do y'all think?

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds good to me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast