Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:!: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Are you ready to rock?

Announcement text

Now that we're underway:

Nomination/discussion thread links:
    1. 1945-1949 (nomination stats)
    2. 1950-1954 (nomination stats)
    3. 1955-1959 (nomination stats)
    4. 1960-1964 (nomination stats)
    5. 1965-1969 (nomination stats)
    6. 1970-1974 (nomination stats)
    7. 1975-1979 (nomination stats)
    8. 1980-1984 (nomination stats)
    9. 1985-1989 (nomination stats)
    10. 1990-1994 (nomination stats)
    11. 1995-1999 (nomination stats)
    12. 2000-2004 (nomination stats)
    13. 2005-2009 (nomination stats)
    14. 2010-2014 (nomination stats)
    Last edited by mae; 03-09-2016 at 11:08 PM.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't participated in a tournament yet.

You've got me with this one though.

I think you have thought this through quite well. Your explanation of the tournament and the "rules" is very clear.

I love music and also can't wait!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

You've got this, pablo. Let's rock!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. The music tournament gets a message posted on the home page in order to promote it.

I don't remember that happening with the movie tournaments.

EDIT: Pablo, you might want to mention that in order to post a video from YouTube you have to copy and paste the URL not the link in the "share" portion of the video. A lot of people try to do that without realizing it won't work.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, you're right. I'll make a note of that for the actual nomination threads.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Clearly, pablo IS the man!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

The nominations begin in just five days, so get ready, peeps! Also, happy December.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

What aboUT making 45 tO 49 just pre 1950? I can't imagine filling out 56 from those years alone. I also.Think we should have the last one to be 2010 and onward since fhese nominations will go for awhile and that's a whole year plus of music that is inelligible. Just my two cents.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

The idea was to stick to five-year periods. I was actually thinking, after this is done, we can always do earlier periods and later (when the time comes). But to keep things somewhat manageable 70 years is good. And I'm sure we will be able to come up with the required number of '45-49 songs. If you need help, check out the yearly lists at http://www.acclaimedmusic.net, Wikipedia, etc. And if there are other helpful resources, please do post a link. For years starting in 1952 and on, I linked to charts databases in the initial proposal thread.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Too late for a trial balloon now, but.. any particular reason why you did segments of 5 years instead of just doing the entire decade at once?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Too late for a trial balloon now, but.. any particular reason why you did segments of 5 years instead of just doing the entire decade at once?
    Yeah, I posted about that a while back when this idea first came up:

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Also, I think it would be best to divide songs into five-year groups. I think it's natural that songs from the first part of a decade always sound different from songs in the other half of the decade. This would give us 14 main groups (and we wouldn't be stuck with the 1940s and the 2010s having five less years to pick from than the rest of the groups). So all we would need is just a whole bunch of nominations (not just the popular stuff, but various deep cuts and good things like that), not quite sure yet how many exactly - but doesn't really matter, the more the merrier. And after several rounds we will end up with the 14 best songs of the last 70 years, each one representing one five-year period from 1945 to 2015. That would be amazing!
    Basically, I felt it would be better to keep music from a certain period of time together, because music from the beginning of a decade is always different from music from the end of a decade. It seems to me that there do appear to be more or less five-year periods in popular music that always come and go. Some types of music seem to bubble up and enjoy great prominence and then mainly go away, music like surf, disco, grunge, for example. In recent years it's dubstep that appeared in the mainstream around 2010-11 and probably is now past its peak, with the EDM movement going toward the so-called big-room house nowadays.

And the fact that the 2010s and the 1940s would only encompass five years, making it uneven and unfair. My hope is that this is successful and we can later do other five-year periods, going back in time, as well as the 2015-2019 period, when the time comes

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

The nominations are moving much slower than I thought they would.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

I'm hoping it's just most people are not very familiar with older music, which is a shame because music is timeless. I like Adele just as much as Nat King Cole

If nobody objects, I think I will lower the restriction for the waiting period to two nominations/secondings (at least up until the '70s or '80s), and to one for the '40s group.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm hoping it's just most people are not very familiar with older music, which is a shame because music is timeless. I like Adele just as much as Nat King Cole

If nobody objects, I think I will lower the restriction for the waiting period to two nominations/secondings (at least up until the '70s or '80s), and to one for the '40s group.
    I second this, as I've been waiting ages for 3 nominations to pass...

There are literally hundreds of great songs to nominate during these periods!

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, restrictions have been updated.

Country
    Country Flag

As a kind of a PSA, I'll post these links again to help anyone trying to come up with nominations:

Note that just because a song charted in a certain year, doesn't mean it came out that year. A notable example would be "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" by The Proclaimers, which was released in 1988 but only became a hit (at least in the US) in 1993. For our purposes this would be a song for the 1985-1989 period.

Country
    Country Flag

Another quick PSA. For original album/studio tracks you can't find on YouTube (a few artists or labels take their stuff down routinely, such as The Beatles, Prince, maybe a few others but not many), try other services. Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com/) is usually good for that. It will embed the same as YouTube.

Also, I'm thinking of keeping the waiting period at two, instead of going back to three for the more modern stuff. Let me know what you all think.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rather like the 1940's thread, how about reducing the wait time on the following threads to only 1 nomination?

1950 - 1954
    1955 - 1959
    1960 - 1964

The nominations on these threads have stalled and I'm itching to nominate some more great songs....

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe, we'll see how things go. Hopefully more people will join in. And "some more great songs" is an understatement. We haven't even scratched the surface six days in.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

As I predicted...but where ARE these threads?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe, we'll see how things go. Hopefully more people will join in. And "some more great songs" is an understatement. We haven't even scratched the surface six days in.
    Where are these threads. I think the treads are disappearing too quickly...I barely made 60-64 and 65-70.

Country
    Country Flag

What do you mean? They're not disappearing, they're still here in this sub-forum. And they're all linked in the first post of this thread. The sixth thread will be going up later this morning.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah... my mistake, pablo.

By putting up a new thread (time frame) I assumed the others were done.
    Pablo, Please consider not making the new thread until nomination limit is satisfied for the last.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, please don't start the 1970's thread until the others are done?

Country
    Country Flag

The plan was actually to have all 14 threads up before New Year's. I didn't want to post them all at once but a thread every other day should spur activity more than having one thread, I think, because people can nominate things in multiple threads at the same time. And it would take much too long to wait for one nomination period of 112 tracks to be compete before moving on to the next, we may be here for months! Nobody wants that, I'm sure

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast