Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen King - John Grisham fundraiser for Manatee Library January 2016

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Default Stephen King - John Grisham fundraiser for Manatee Library January 2016

Details are still sketchy, but it appears for $300 you can have a reserved seat at a John Grisham/SK event in Florida in JANUARY 2016

These are the few details that i have gathered so far.

Private reception Grisham only $2500 and up.

No book signing or signed books from King.
    Maybe signed books from Grisham.

But if you remember how the library operated the last time, everything is subject to change. the only rule is there are no rules.

I can only assume tickets for remaining seats will be significantly lower.

When I get details i will post. The library has not returned any phone calls to me with details.

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Details are still sketchy, but it appears for $300 you can have a reserved seat at a John Grisham/SK event in Florida in JANUARY 2016

These are the few details that i have gathered so far.

Private reception Grisham only $2500 and up.

No book signing or signed books from King.
    Maybe signed books from Grisham.

But if you remember how the library operated the last time, everything is subject to change. the only rule is there are no rules.

I can only assume tickets for remaining seats will be significantly lower.

When I get details i will post. The library has not returned any phone calls to me with details.
    I spoke to Jane Pitt of the Library Foundation last week who volunteered as much information as they had and made one request which was please do not post on any blog or webpages.
    The note sent out to people invited also asked that nothing be mentioned until after Sept 15th when they make the announcement public.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jane Plitt may have asked for the information be kept quiet, but she didn't ask me.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Official details on the 2016 King/Grisham Bradenton event...

John Grisham to headline 2016 Library Foundation fundraiser for Manatee Public Library System

Stephen King will interview Grisham on stage at SCF’s Neel Performing Arts Center

MANATEE COUNTY, FL (Sept. 15, 2015) – Legal thriller novelist John Grisham will headline the Manatee Library Foundation’s marquee fundraiser a January, 2016 event at State College of Florida’s Neel Performing Arts Center.

Stephen King, last year’s Foundation speaker, will also be a part of the event and will interview Grisham on stage. The event, “Book-Ends: An Evening with Two Literary Giants” will be held Tuesday, Jan. 19, 2016. Organizers are hoping to sell out the 832-seat venue and to raise $175,000 for the Library System.

Foundation President Jane Plitt, Manatee County Library Services Manager Ava Ehde, State Rep. Jim Boyd, honorary event co-chair and Stephanie Goforth, President of Northern Trust’s West Florida region made the announcement today during a noon press conference at Central Library.

“The Library Foundation Inc. is thrilled that these world famous authors are sharing their time and prestige to help us fund literacy programs through the Manatee County Public Library system., addressing a critical community need,” said Foundation president Jane Plitt.

“We’ve hit another grand slam,” said Rep. Jim Boyd, the event’s honorary chair. “It’s going to be an outstanding event.

Northern Trust Bank is the event’s presenting sponsor. Susan Wilcox is the Foundation’s event chair.

Sponsorship packages from $7,500 (reception sponsor) to $300 (patron) are available online or by calling (941) 216-8746. If tickets are still available on Oct. 15, the public may purchase tickets for $150 apiece. Thirty State College of Florida students will attend the event compliments of the Anne and Eugene Beckstein Charitable Trust.

Last year’s “An Evening with Stephen King” raised more than $100,000 to benefit Manatee County Public Library System. That money went toward the purchase of a new integrated library system (ILS) in Manatee libraries that launches Oct. 1. The new system will give patrons a new, modern way of accessing library materials.

“This is a huge literary event and we continue to be awestruck it’s happening here,” said Manatee County Library Services Manager Ava Ehde. “We are grateful to these impressive and prolific authors as well as Rep. Boyd, the growing list of sponsors and the Library Foundation for their support of our Manatee Libraries.”

The Foundation will also give away a ticket to the King event to the winner of a Flash Fiction contest challenging amateur writers to submit a 250-word piece of fiction or poetry inspired by a photo posted on the new 805lit.org site.
    One winner will be announced in January. (If a minor wins the contest, he or she will be awarded two tickets for guardian accompaniment.)

Grisham’s books have sold more than 275 million copies worldwide. His most popular titles include The Firm, A Time to Kill, The Client and The Pelican Brief. A new title, The Rogue Lawyer, will be released in October.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Are the rest of you taking this to be that, like the Lee Child event, that SK will NOT be signing? This article indicates that only Grisham's books will be for sale. It doesn't say that he ISN'T going to be signing, but it also doesn't say that he IS though I rather doubt it. I'd want to know a little more definitively before I spend $300/$150 on a ticket plus airfare/hotel.
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    Are the rest of you taking this to be that, like the Lee Child event, that SK will NOT be signing? This article indicates that only Grisham's books will be for sale. It doesn't say that he ISN'T going to be signing, but it also doesn't say that he IS though I rather doubt it. I'd want to know a little more definitively before I spend $300/$150 on a ticket plus airfare/hotel.
    I AM IN... if King is signing...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The info I was sent made it clear that King would not be signing anything and would NOT be at the VIP reception.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

It sounds like this very Grisham focused, so I doubt King will sign. I'm a fan of Grisham's earlier works, and have several signed books of his, but watching King interview him isn't enough of a draw for me.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    It sounds like this very Grisham focused, so I doubt King will sign. I'm a fan of Grisham's earlier works, and have several signed books of his, but watching King interview him isn't enough of a draw for me.
    Nor me at all. I think they will have a tough time selling it out if there is no signing...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I disagree. There were plenty of people there last year who were part of corporate groups, who were there for the experience and didn't seem bothered at all by the lack of a signing.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I disagree. There were plenty of people there last year who were part of corporate groups, who were there for the experience and didn't seem bothered at all by the lack of a signing.
    True Brian. You are right brother.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I was surprised when I received the letter and they were asking $100 more than the previous King "signing" for the cheapest ticket.

The VIP is Grisham only. There is no mention of a signing at all. It is possible that there will be pre-signed books, but it's also possible there won't be.

The VIP is availabe at the $2500 level which includes four tickets; $625 per ticket.

I'm passing on this one.

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

I spoke with Doris as I still had her in my email. She said King is ONLY on stage for a short time and that is it. This event is NOT about him and he will not be around the VIP or doing any signing whatsoever. Im out.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

$150 tickets now available.

Anybody here going?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice redsoxfan565 is on a distinguished road

I highly doubt King will sign anything at this event. From what I understand, he didn't sign anything at Harvard last month when he was there with Lee Child.

+ Reply to Thread