Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: tdt.org - mobile

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default tdt.org - mobile

Lately I started to use the forum a lot of my phone
    and really recognize that it's more than finger breaking and frustrating
    to navigate the site.

I use the mobile app, Tapatalk, for two other boards and found that I would be
    a very easy plugin solution that we could use for the board, that would really
    Enhance the usability!

Maybe I am the only one, but maybe you (RF ) could insert the pluging
    As it would be a real benefit to the page.

Maybe not all functions would work, but read and write for sure!
    It's a 5 step process:

https://tapatalk.com/download_vBulletin.php

Would be glad to help technically if needed!
    Hope that this is the last message I write in the desktop viewport

Cheers

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+1

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

General improvements to the site are being worked on/looked at currently. One of the options we are looking at is updating the version of the software that the site runs on to be more 'mobile friendly'. Plugins like this will also be considered.
    As I am sure you can appreciate, any kind of major software update (which this would be) needs to be considered carefully and planned. We are in the process of creating a 'Development' version for us to test updates and improvements before we update the main site. Announcements will be made as and when these changes are imminent.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's fantastic to hear, thanks a lot for maintaining and improving the website.
    With tapatalk it's more like a quick fix, it's working out of the box and doesn't need any major improvements , no core update , and no development version that's the good thing about it.

It is more or less only an API not touching the front-end in anyway

I already implemented in 4 different systems, and worked like a charm within 10 minutes and gave full mobile experience in seconds.

So even if you're considering a more mobile template which I guess will take a development system and a lot of testing, please take into account that this plugin will work within a couple of minutes

Will be happy to support you with that, if you so wish

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info Sebastian, this is RF's call, I will defer to him.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

This has been on my mind for some time now. I use the forum a lot on my phone, and I guess I have just got used to it, and found a "workflow" that generally works, however the best experience would be if the forum software were responsive/mobile-friendly.

I'm familiar with vBulletin, but really haven't looked into what the newer versions can do. I'm guessing there's a responsive version now; however to Simon's point, updating can be a real drag.

Thanks for your efforts though in looking into improvements and a potential mobile-friendly forum in the near future. Very much appreciated!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

El Jefe and team. Always hard at work to make this a better place for all!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still unclear how tapatalk would make our site better.
    Explain.4

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Explain.4
    Sebastian can confirm this but it's my understanding that it will make the forum responsive (mobile friendly). So it will be easier to read on mobile devices.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Explain.4
    Sebastian can confirm this but it's my understanding that it will make the forum responsive (mobile friendly). So it will be easier to read on mobile devices.
    It's not so much about making the forum more responsive, more about presenting the forum content in a more 'Mobile friendly' manner. It renders the various threads and areas in a way that makes it easier to read, find and respond on a mobile device.

see this screenshot for an idea of how this looks:

Country
    Country Flag

Tapatalk is an app (free) for android and iOS, that is specialized for boards like this.

It delivers what you could call an own frontend, like a responsive theme would do, but without the hustle to create and test one,
    accessing the same data.

The only thing that it needs is an API that the app can talk to , and thats the plugin that you would need to install.
    This doesn't effect the page itself in anyway, it just gives the app the possibility to act with the board.

So what you get is an app on your mobile, tested and optimized for reading & writing, plus messaging , so the main parts of
    the board , without that the host (thats you) has to adapt anything on the core page.

You have (if you want) push notification for new posts, and messages and especially, not this crazy small screen and impossible to click buttons ;D

So long story short.
    Install the plugin, download the app and have an optimized mobile access to tdt.org without touching the core website
    vs.
    update the whole platform , find and install a responsive theme and spend a month testing, adapting all parts that are custom made

Downside - you need the app
    Upside, you might find new members of the board through the app community.

i love it especially for messaging, so if i get a pm while on the road it`s 100x more comfortable to answer via the app

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Explain.4
    Nope, not touching the website itself - only providing the data to a mobile friendly environment

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    It's not so much about making the forum more responsive, more about presenting the forum content in a more 'Mobile friendly' manner.
    It renders the various threads and areas in a way that makes it easier to read, find and respond on a mobile device.
    well said

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is reasonable overview video for iphone

and here is a newer version running on Android

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry, but for right now that seems worthless.
    A person now uses an app to look at the site. I suppose if you subscribe to numerous discussion forums it might help.

In the 4 minutes plus the person took to get to a subscribed thread, or to check a notification, any reasonable user of a smart phone that wants to use our site would already have posted.

Maybe I should shoot a 2 minute video as to how easy the site can be used with a cell phone.

Country
    Country Flag

google ux principles state, that every clickable element on a mobile should have at least 60*60px to be clickable,
    non of the important elements of the page has this on a mobile due to the scaled viewport.

if you are not pinching the size, even if you do this, some elements are very hard to use. (last post in topic icon,pagination f.e.)

There are a view points, that make it really hard to navigate ( from my pov )
    Topic titles in the search are cut of, pm window is not scaling to the screen, elements are overlapping and are not arranged in the right order, font are sometimes scailing, sometimes not ;D
    All of this is fine, as the page was just not made for mobile, and it looks great on desktop, but its incredible arduous to navigate, pinch big, scroll, pinch bigger, click , wanna read ? pinch smaller again...

Would be solved, at least for everybody who wants a more 2015 user experience with 5 minutes of work and no downside. The 2 minutes you need for the video and the plugin is installed.
    Who wants to use the page like it is can do that, but you would offer a state of the art alternative for all others.

So why not ? Cant lose anything ,but win a lot! don't you think ?

p.s.
    Not 100% sure what you are referencing to with the 4 minutes plus,sry!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Posted from tapatalk. After some "fun" getting it to work. (Documentation was poor fyi not so easy)

Country
    Country Flag

Aaa wee!! You're the man!

Thank you !!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post

Thank you !!!
    Less than a day:

• Member suggestion
    • Flagg saying no
    • Flagg saying yes
    Done

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post

Thank you !!!
    Awful lot of work for one person.
    Sure hope lots of other people use it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Being able to speed read through all unread posts without having to open each one individually! worth it for that feature alone

Country
    Country Flag

Less than a day:
    • Member suggestion
    • Flagg saying no
    • Flagg saying yes
    Done

a good deed a day !
    really, thanks!

Awful lot of work for one person.
    Sure hope lots of other people use it.
    you should have some statistics on that, but i am sure that they will!

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Being able to speed read through all unread posts without having to open each one individually! worth it for that feature alone
    +1
    and to be notified when you get quoted ! love hat feature. !

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah! I just installed it and am now hooked up to the forum via the app. Still need to spend some time using it but so far it's fantastic! Thanks guys.

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hate tapatalk with all my soul.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Alien View Post
    I hate tapatalk with all my soul.
    Then don't utilize it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast