Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Joe R. Lansdale

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Joe R. Lansdale

Didn't see a Lansdale thread, so I thought I would create one. I would love to see some of the Lansdale stuff that you guys have. I didn't get into him until a couple of years ago and now he has become one of my favorite authors. I really like his writing style. I don't have a lot of 1st edition hardbacks yet, but I hope to acquire more in the coming years.

Trade 1sts of The Bottoms (2000) and Captains Outrageous (2001)

UK trade 1st of A Fine Dark Line (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2006)

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This should be a good thread. I love his work and have read a number of his books via the library. Sadly I only own a few of his books.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Got a few in my collection.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't see a Lansdale thread, so I thought I would create one. I would love to see some of the Lansdale stuff that you guys have. I didn't get into him until a couple of years ago and now he has become one of my favorite authors.

look under "DUTCH HILL" JOE R LANSDALE (his ownself) He is LURKING in THE MANSION

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Should have known Bruce has some Lansdale.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    look under "DUTCH HILL" JOE R LANSDALE (his ownself) He is LURKING in THE MANSION
    Sorry, I always seem to forget to look in THE MANSION!

There are some nice books so far. Thanks for sharing them. I have a few more in my collection.

Freezer Burn (1999), ARC w/ publisher's slip

Trade 1st of Mucho Mojo (1994)... Mucho Mojo is probably my favorite so far, with The Bottoms a close second.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What book would you recommend to someone that's never read Lansdale and is looking to read something by him?
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    What book would you recommend to someone that's never read Lansdale and is looking to read something by him?
    I have virtually everything he has published in one form or another. I would recommend BY BIZARRE HANDS for short stories, THE BOTTOMS for mystery/suspense, and a tie with THE NIGHTRUNNERS and THE DRIVE-IN (vol. 1) for horror. If you don't like those four (though I can't imagine how that would be possible), you'll never warm up to him.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cordial Jim View Post
    Freezer Burn
    I love FREEZER BURN. It's one of his lesser-mentioned novels, and I think that's a shame as it's one of my favorites. It and THE BOTTOMS are, to my mind, his best two standalone mystery/suspense novels.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you for the recommendations! Things have been added to my reading list
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite Lansdale novels (and hence the ones I would most recommend) are Cold in July and Sunset and Sawdust.

Hunter

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

I posted this in the "other" Joe R Lansdale thread but this one seems to be a little more popular.

Joe will be at a signing event in Maine in September...

http://greenhandbooks.blogspot.com/
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

I promised the bookshop lady I would give this a bump..

See one posting up.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Listing on eBay tonight; posting here in case anyone is interested in pre-empting:

Joe R. Lansdale

THE (Complete) DRIVE-IN
    Centipede Press, 2015.
    First Collected Signed & Limited Edition; this copy #111/300 signed by Joe R. Lansdale and artist David Ho. A new and unread copy, fine and still in publisher's original shrinkwrap. The book was OP on publication.

From the publisher:

Available for the first time in a signed limited hardcover, Joe R. Lansdale’s three Drive-Ins, with the magnificent introduction by film director Don Coscarelli and all new artwork.

When a group of friends decided to spend a day at the world’s largest Drive-In theater horror fest, they expected to see tons of bloody murders, rampaging madmen, and mayhem, but only on the screen. But as a mysterious force traps all the patrons inside the Drive-In, the worst in humanity comes out. The first limited edition hardcover of all three Drive-In novels, with an introduction by famed horror film director Don Coscarelli and stunning illustrations by David Ho. This is a limited edition and each copy is signed by Joe R. Lansdale and David Ho.

Smyth sewn, with head and tail bands, ribbon marker, and full color dustjacket with extra-long flaps.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting article on Joe Lansdale in this month's Texas Monthly - Darkness on the Edge of Town

Turns out he worked as a janitor at SFA while I was there. Hmm.
    Mr. Lansdale, we had nothing, nothing to do with any missing TP....

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

This is a worthy Lansdale kickstarter for a really cool original (well, a reprint of a tough to find original) graphic novel:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-sam-glanzman

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

For Sale !!

I have a Lansdale Lettered/traycased "For A Few Stories More", Letter "H", limited to 52 copies.
    I also have the SubPress Lansdale S/L "Act of Love", numbered 145 of 200 copies.
    Both are as new, no damage,
    I do not know the value of either, any reasonable offer below market accepted.
    Last edited by Cook; 06-29-2020 at 05:15 AM.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough TacomaDiver will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Funny - SST's e-mail said to not say anything about this book until they officially announce it next week . . .

I just ordered a copy from Camelot (for some reason, the shipping cost for this from SST is quite a bit higher than it has been . . . plus I like how Camelot doesn't charge until the book is instock. Hopefully they'll get the matching numbers that SST promises their direct buyers will get . . .)

Traveler Camelot Books will become famous soon enough

Hi Guys:

Could I ask you to please delete your comments with the link to our site as I totally messed up and didn't read the bottom of the newsletter and never should have put it on my site this morning. I have already apologized to Paul and am hoping you all can help by deleting the link

thanks
    Kim

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I deleted my post but since I was quoted, those posts need to be deleted too.

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking for SST's Cosmic Interruptions. Thanks.

Edit: Found a matching set of Cosmic Interruptions and Blood in the Gears.
    Last edited by GenericEric; 12-14-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Citizen of Gilead GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric is a name known to all GenericEric's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got the shipping notice for Wet JuJu from SST today.

Only 1 more left in this collection series!
    It was hell's season, and the air smelled of burning children

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bump

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    For Sale or Trade

I have a Lansdale Lettered/traycased "For A Few Stories More", Letter "H", limited to 52 copies.
    I also have the SubPress Lansdale S/L "Act of Love", numbered 145 of 200 copies.
    Both are as new, no damage,
    I do not know the value of either, any reasonable offer below market accepted.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast