Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Piers Anthony

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

wise choice.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

an example is SK i thought about this and a long time and i think he's my favorite author of all time as well. but i dunno how many times i've read on here, or elsewhere or heard in real life that SK hasn't done a good book since before his accident. and i have to disagree on that. i loved From a buick 8 and Dreamcatcher when i those this year.and we all expect all his books to be great and sadly that's not how the world works ya know? anyways wise choice? you mean that i bought a kindle?

it's a amazon Fire Kindle

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    an example is SK i thought about this and a long time and i think he's my favorite author of all time as well. but i dunno how many times i've read on here, or elsewhere or heard in real life that SK hasn't done a good book since before his accident. and i have to disagree on that. i loved From a buick 8 and Dreamcatcher when i those this year.and we all expect all his books to be great and sadly that's not how the world works ya know? anyways wise choice? you mean that i bought a kindle?

it's a amazon Fire Kindle
    Yeah, I'd also have to disagree on that. He's done some books that I haven't been all too crazy about, but he's also done some great ones. I have to admit that I didn't enjoy Dreamcatcher as much as I wanted to. I had a hard time getting through it, and I even read somewhere that King himself wasn't all too crazy about it. I think it was right after his accident when he wrote it, and all the pain medicine altered his writing. He said something to the effect of "I believe there's a good book in there somewhere." But, still, not-so-perfect King is still better than most books.

Also, when I said "wise choice", I was referring to ur2biggestfan's post about him torching his pitchfork and pitching his torch.

But, now that you mention your Kindle fire...are you enjoying it? I have a kindle paperwhite so it has the perfect screen for reading- does the kindle fire bother your eyes when reading for a while, like a computer screen would? Or is there a special setting on it for books?

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

1stly in Dream Catcher there is a chapter that's dedicated to Stark and company and it's the i think 1st chapter in part 2 and it's that chapter that for years i was unable to get through cuz it was boring as fuck and i had to force myself to read through it. after that really boring shitty ass chapter the book got better. i'd say Dreamcatcher is one of his best books to be honest. i dunno what number i'd place it at to be fair as i haven't read all his books yet. but i doubt i'd place it in the Top 5 to be fair.

and with From a Buick 8 other than reading on here and elsewhere that many people consider that one of his worst books. yes there are fans for that one i realize that now. and my brother even enjoyed it. so i went in with really low expectations

in reading it and i ended up really loving it. the different style he did for that one i think worked very well for it. anyways as for my kindle it's it's a Fire HD6 i got it at best buys for only $120 bucks. so it's not very big and it's only 16GB.

and so far the screen is fine to be honest. my mom has the i think one like you where it's a dark screen and has no color resolution at all. that i didn't like to read after reading Piers Anthony on my Ipod and having that in color and easier to read. i don't knock on wood wear glasses but i don't want to have to start either. computer screens aren't normally a problem for me either. i can spend hours online and i'm fine to be honest. as for where i am in the book i'm still at chapter 9. i didn't read anything for a couple of days so i'm i think almost done with the chapter but with a kindle it's hard to tell to be honest.

as for the book i'm 55% into it. so that may give ya an inkling where i'm at. i'd say where i am but i dunno how far you are at the moment. i put on #38 of the Xanth novels on my kindle and i put on #55 books onto to start with i think that's a good number don't you?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I'm not going to analyze why (because I really don't know why), but I also did not like FROM A BUICK 8. However, I think 11-22-63 is one one of King's best books, and this was written recently. I also REALLY liked UNDER THE DOME. I can't comment on his latest four (5?) novels because I haven't read them yet (I'm way behind on my reading). I absolutely despised LISEY'S STORY, which is many people's favorite King novel. I also really disliked (to put it mildly) the last 3 Dark Tower novels. I did restrain myself from throwing them against the wall though since they cost so much and I am lousy at drywall repair. So to each their own, which is a good thing.

As for Mr. Anthony though, I recall disliking his last batch of novels more and more with each subsequent one published, to the point where I just couldn't take it anymore and so quit reading him altogether, even though I thoroughly enjoyed many of his previous books. The same goes for Larry Niven and Orson Scott Card, both of which I thought I would read and collect forever (well, not forever but you know what I mean), but I gave up on them too.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

oh ok, i'm not one of those people who are going to rant and say how dare you not like those etc.. you get the idea i'm sure. but if ya didn't like them you didn't like them. many people love the girl who loved tom gordon as for me? it bored the living fuck out of me. my brother said it best actually. i was talking to him in June when we went and saw that Brian Wilson movie Love & Mercy check it out as soon as you can if you are a fan of his music, anyways we were taking about SK cause i think i was reading Dreamcatcher at the time. and he hadn't read that one but liked the film. i thought he had read all his books to be honest well cept or his last few cause he's got young kids and he works full time hence time.

but i guess i was wrong, anyways i asked him about Tom Gordon and he goes i just could not get into it, i joked where there is a pop up book of it. and he goes i can't get into that either. i just had to laugh at that too.
    i said well ok i'll save you some time here's the whole book and i gave him a short synopsis of it. he was laughing when i said now you don't have to waste your time with it. anyways king has done a lot of books that have had really shitty endings but so has pretty much all authors if you think about it. with Anthony well like any author and King as well, you can't read too many of their books together cause they will no doubt at some point start to sound alike. with king it's good verses evil mostly. the theme of it, with John Saul another favorite of mine his was Teenagers,

where shit starts happening to one of the kids in the family for good or bad, sometimes they end up the villian too. and he's written plenty of books that were damned good but the endings were utter shit. but if you read all his books one right after another they will blend together i know i've done this plenty of times myself. and yes Anthony has done plenty of good verses evil as well. but than if you really think about it that's all books damn near. i mean isn't that what a good mystery book is all about? good verses evil? anyways i like Anthony cause he's just so different than most authors out there. i dunno how else to put it.

he's no doubt done some books where you wonder what the fuck was he even thinking? but than so has King ya know? but i love his Xanth books, i dunno why his other books haven't caputured me the way those books have, and i wish that wasn't the case cause i hate it when people just read certain books by one author but leave ones they've written alone. thankfully i have read other books he's written outside of that series. which ones do you think are his worst anyways?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

anyways back to Piers Anthony, i wasn't reading for a couple of days, only a little off & on last week. cause i forgot that for some reason this one and the next one The Source Of Magic are for some reason books that just don't hold my attention for very long. while Castle Roogna for some reason did. i think it may be more in tune than the later books perhaps? i dunno i haven't read in years so i could be wrong. anyways, so finally finished Chapter 9 tonite having been on it for about a week. it's not a boring chapter my ADD was just kicking in on this book for some reason or other. it's oddly taken me more time to read this one than it did for me to read Dreamcatcher and that's a longer book and that took me only 15 days to read.

i lost count how long i've been on this one so far. it's past 15 days i can tell you that. i will say that it's aimed i think towards more adults that it is for kids than the later books. hence it has a shit ton of swearing in it compared to the later novels.

the xanth novels all have swearing in it but only very little normally, there's been a hell, a damn, a bitch, and i may be missing some, but there's not normally this many swear words in this series than in the 1st novel. there's also a part where the main 2 characters are naked but that's not anything that's not in later books. but one wonders that if this makes it into a feature film, if it'll be made for kids and if they will film it like the (1964) film A Shot in the Dark the 2nd Pink Panther film where Peter Sellers goes to a nudist colony and with good camera work puts comedy into what can be shown and not shown, since that was filmed in a time that nudity could not be shown in American films yet. they didn't start doing that until i believe Seconds in (1966)

sorry i'm a film geek as i like to call it. and for going off topic as well. again it's not a bad novel but it's i dunno doesn't capture me like some of the later books do for some reason and it never has. i read Vale of the Vole like i said a few times like in 3-4 days where i am still reading this way past that one and yes this one is longer than that book but still. these books normally are a fast read for me but the 1st two books never have been for some strange reason i dunno why either. maybe someone can help me figure that out cause i sure as hell can't figure that one out.

I finished A Spell For Chameleon today. I really enjoyed it, but I'm gonna wait to start The Source Of Magic. I was glad that Bink's magical power was finally revealed in book #1. Part of me was afraid I'd have to wait til book 37 to find out what his talent was.
    I'm really thinking I may read On a Pale Horse before I start the next Xanth book.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i'm glad you enjoyed it. in the next book of Xanth it's the 2nd and last book we have Bink as the Main Character from what i've read as i don't own that one. it takes place a year later and he goes on a quest to find out the source of magic.
    hence the title. the series has a good amount of Continuity that much i can tell you. anyways that's fine if you want to take a break from that series. on a pale horse is one i've actually read and it's a good book. here's what it's about a dude named Zane i believe who kills Death, and yes it explains how that's done, and if you kill death you therefore hence become him, so the subject of the 1st book of the incarnations of immortality is about Death, the 2nd is about Time, ones about fate, ones about god, ones nature, and i know i'm missing some there's 7 or 8 books in that series. i've only read the 1st book. i read about half of the 2nd one but i just never finished it for some reason.

that's not a spoiler by the way you can read that on the back of the book hence the synopsis that i remember that from . though one thing that would be a spoiler is the way it ends and that for me is the best part of the book. it's one of his books that has a great ending i think. anyways i hope you enjoy it. & as for Xanth #1 i stayed clear of spoilers so you can be surprised on your own. Crombie though is a favorite character of mine. Grundy Golem is another and i forget which one he is 1st introduced in. the 2nd book perhaps i'll have to look that one up.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i finally finished A Spell for Chameleon This week. no it didn't take me that long to read it last time i read it in i think the late 90's at some point? whenever the fuck it was? and it's still for me anyways one of the weaker ones but to each their own. i don't hate it at all it just had a really extremely slow fucking start and it takes ages for things to happen and once things do it is a decent book. i watched a review of it on you tube by some fat chick. i dunno her name or remember what her screen name is so that's why i phrased it that way. the only review on you tube i could find cause i was curious what others thought of it. she gave it a 3/5 stars and that is about what i give it. but i disagree about her saying Bink is a dull character i don't think he is at all.
    he does start out that way i think though but as the book progresses and things start to happen the more he becomes likable at least i think so. and she thought the ending was terrible. i liked the ending actually!

now i may Read The 2nd one in the series The Source of Magic another one i really didn't care for when i 1st read it. the 1st two books for some reason in the series didn't appeal to me when i 1st read them, perhaps because the 1st book i read in the series was the 10th book i have no idea to be honest. but they just aren't among my favorites that's all. they aren't bad books at all but more slower in pace i think than the others. on good reads on about both books people said there's a lot of sexism in the series. i have no idea when i read his books i never think about that stuff at all. the guy has come out publicy and said many times he's a pervert. on good read they said on how he is a sexist. i dunno about that i've been reading his news letter on his site off and on for years and i don't think he is, nor do i think he doesn't respect women either from reading his autobiography the 2nd one he did some years back. what they failed to point out is that he writes strong women characters in his books too.

women read his books and enjoy the hell out of them, and i think most of them just ignore the fact that he's a pervert like i do. the books are nothing but fiction and a good read that's all nothing more nothing less, a good read and i enjoy reading his books. he's done some good ones, some great ones and some that are utter shit like all authors. even Stephen King has written Utter shit in his life and no doubt he'd be the 1st to admit it too. i just ignore it that's all, how about you folks who do read Piers Anthony?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Girlystevedave did you ever read anymore Piers Anthony?

I started the second book, but never got very far into it. It's been put aside, but not forgotten.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

the 2nd one took me forever to read as i don't think it's one of the better books to be honest. Castle Roogna though i love and feels more like Xanth to me. i think cause the writing in that one is so much better than the 1st two but that's my opinion anyways

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read any Piers Anthony in 20 years. I did read most everything he'd written at that time.

I liked his Xanth series and the Apprentice Adept books.

I see that he's written a lot more Xanth stories since then. I might have to check a couple of them out.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

the 41st one i believe comes out this year so it's more than a couple my friend. he he he, i hope you still enjoy them too man.

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

the 41st one i believe comes out this year so it's more than a couple my friend. he he he, i hope you still enjoy them too man.
    I recall Bio of a Space Tyrant series being good when I was younger too. Blue Adept Series was good. Incarnations of Immortality series was good too. I loved Xanth and read through many as they came out, but eventually stopped reading them. I might go back, but I think last time I glanced at them I felt them a little....I don't know...kind of Harry Pottery if you know what I mean? Aimed at a younger reader. Still good, but there are so many books that I didn't get pulled in enough to read them. I think the other series are aimed at older audience than Xanth.

All have little tidbits of perversion since it is Anthony. haha!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

true, the last one i read was i had to look this up i was thinking Zombie lover but i was wrong it's Swell Foop from (2001) and that one i loved. yeah i can see it getting more aimed towards kids to a certain degree. there's no one calling a woman a bitch like in the 1st book. the longer the series went on the more it aimed toward puns and that really doesn't bother me cause it was always written well into the story i think. true some of the idea for puns he put in can be stupid but than he takes fans suggestions all the time and uses them for his Xanth series so they are going to be cheesy as hell. but i dunno about ones after that cause i haven't read those yet to be fair. and i love the Harry Potter books so that doesn't bother me either. Bio of a space Tryant i still haven't finished the 1st novel cause i don't think it's one of his best and yes that series IS aimed towards adults. some of them are and some of them aren't. Firefly which i hear is a really shitty book is one that is aimed towards adults.

what i find funny as hell was before i became an Anthony Fan when that paperback came out i begged and pleaded my folks for it cause i loved the cover and that's what caught my eye.i now have the paperback and i have yet to read it funny enough.
    and now i see it's aimed toward adults and not kids. i say it's funny cause for a book i begged and pleaded for, i had no idea it wasn't a book that my teenage mind at the time anyways, should have read.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I read the first half dozen or so Xanth novels back in the early '80's. I was a huge fan of those books. Maybe I should thread A SPELL FOR CHAMELEON again and see how it goes...
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well let me warn ya on one thing, the 1st book hell it's been a long time since i last read the source of magic. but those i think are the most adult in the series. Castle Roogna may be there to but again it's been years since i last read that one as well.
    the books in later books i have no idea when it started, he started using his puns more and more. and now fans submit them to him and he gives them credit for it of course, my point is i dunno if they became more childlike or not cause i haven't read a new one in 15 years. but i do love the artwork on all the books though. Darrel K. Sweet is a great artist. and i forget the name of the dude who did the artwork for the 1st dark tower books a couple of the last ones too, but he did some covers for Piers Anthony. On a pale horse is one of them. that's a great book too, where you have death getting killed by a mortal and the mortal has to become death since he killed the grim reaper & he's immune when he's got the hood on but

the minute he takes it off he's mortal and can be killed which is how the previous one was able to get killed his hood was down. that's just brillant. Piers did a number of them with the last one in (1990) but than a couple of years ago i think it was Satan's Story. i only read the 1st book and loved it. Bearing an hourglass is one i have yet to actually finish to be fair.

you can say all his books are the same as i've read many people post that. on good reads people both men and women say he's sexist and that his Xanth books are too. an example would be The Source of magic where a preggers Chameleon i think the only book as far as i know where they don't mention the stork. and where a character is actually preggers rather than have the stork deliver the kid, anyways she's is in her different phases and treating Bink like shit and they commented how in her last month or week or whatever it was instead of him staying at home with her, he goes on a fucking quest.

that's a good argument don't get me wrong, and i can see why people would think that's sexist cause a father well a good one anyways wouldn't do that to their wife. but this book is pure fantasy and it's a series as a lot of his books are where you just have to leave your Brain at the door. and not take it seriously at all i know i don't. the guy i think respects women as he's at his offical website sends out a newsletter every other month and he sticks up for women a lot. all he really is dirty old man who's a big pervert and isn't ashamed of it at all that's about it.

Firefly is one that i haven't read but people can get really offended by that one and from what i heard is in it. i can see why but it's a fictional novel that's all. he's like any author he's done some great books and some really shitty ones too. hell there's Stephen King novels i think are shit too. i think Carrie is a terrible novel but it's not a big deal to me, other love it and that's fine. there thousands of books anyone can be offended by, but i've never stopped reading an author cause one book he or she wrote offended me. all i do is just finish the novel if i choose to and just move on to the next book the author wrote if i so choose to well that's how i think anyways. i hope more folks go back and read some Piers Anthony he's i think a VERY underrated writer these days . and sadly at least the people i talk to anyways have never even heard of him because he's not a big name anymore if he ever was i couldn't tell you the last time i saw a book of his at Giant Eagle it's been years so of course there are plenty of people who have never even heard of him before. you can blame that on i think he's still with TOR i'm not 100% sure and all they want anymore from him is his Xanth series and nothing else.

he has to sell his books online and you can get them at a site called Mundania press i think? if Amazon doesn't have it. certain ones anyways sorry about the ramble i'm just giving my thoughts that's all

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i started The Source of Magic Again after reading part of Chapter 1 and than moving on to another book. i had lost interest with the book. and what's really funny is that always seem to happen with me with this book. and the book itself is not a bad book at all it's a pretty good book too. but for some reason it takes me forever to read the damn thing. so far i've onyl read Chapter 1 this time i finished it while last time i only read a few pages of it. Girlystevedave have you read any more Piers Anthony? it's been awhile since i last asked ya that's why i asked. if not that's okay i'm just curious that's all

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Think we in Germany only have one S/L Piers Anthony book....

Piers Anthony
    limited 99/250 signed from Piers Anthony
    coverillustration: Reinhard Kleist
    Publisher: Edition Phantasia

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

that's funny cause that's what i call his porn book cause it's a book made for adults and when that 1st came out in (1989) since kids read his books they were picking that one up so Piers Anthony found out about it and had it removed from shelves.
    i believe it was behind the counter though. to this day i have never seen it in stores and i think you can get it online though. than you have the sequel The Magic Fart which i am not making up that title great title eh? anyways, that one also is made for adults. having said all that i was re-reading my posts on here and it's nice someone posted on my thread that was dead for about 2 years or so. i looked and saw i started The Source of Magic in (2016) and i didn't realize it was that long! no joke
    and it makes me laugh cause i just read Chapter 6 the other night that's how far i am into it i'm on Chapter 7 now. on my kindle it's i believe only at 40%. see i told ya ladies and gents that book takes me forever to fucking read. and like i said it's not a bad book at all it's just one that never had connected to me like others have that's all.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

by the way i live in the states so i dunno how it is outside the US but that's how it is for Pornutopia in the states and it's sequel as well

Girlystevedave have you read any more Piers Anthony? it's been awhile since i last asked ya that's why i asked. if not that's okay i'm just curious that's all
    I don't know how I didn't see this post back in October.

I haven't read anything of his for some time, but I was just thinking a few days ago that I need to read more of the Xanth series at some point.
    I was at a bookstore a few months back and thought to see if they had any of his books that might seem interesting. I'm glad I briefly scan reviews before buying because the book I picked up was Firefly and, man, from the comments on that book, I'm relieved I didn't read it.
    I mean, from what I have read of him, I get that his books can be silly and raunchy, but I really don't want tho accidentally stumble across something flat-out stomach-turning.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

The only thing I remember after reading this book was wondering what all the fuss was about. I don't have a 1st US paperback copy. I think this was just a book or two before I stopped reading Anthony:

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast