Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Eyes of the Dragon S/L Red number edition of 250 (who received what copy?)

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Maintaining these threads is becoming a PITA.
    I’ll update this in the next couple of days—I’ve been abroad and just touched down.

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I updated the master list at the beginning of the thread to reflect the new additions. So far, 24/250 of the individuals to whom the Red Numbered S/L have been inscribed to have been identified. I try and identify in the list the connection the individual has to King's life, but don't know anything about Bill Roderick. Can anyone help? I wonder if the tribe of slow mutants, the Children of Roderick, were named by King after this individual.

Country
    Country Flag

I updated the master list at the top of the thread to reflect the addition of the number below. Please let me know if you are aware of other red numbers and their recipients and I will update the list.

Country
    Country Flag

I found another red number EOTD that was not previously on the list and have updated the master list on the first page. This one is inscribed to Connie Sarpe on 12/1/84 and is no. 171. She was King’s director of sales and marketing at Viking.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

According to the eBay listing where this copy is being sold, she was Viking’s director of sales and marketing at the time.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    According to the eBay listing where this copy is being sold, she was Viking’s director of sales and marketing at the time.
    Thanks for the help! It might be better if I spelled her name correctly when I’m searching—I’ll update.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    Thanks for the help! It might be better if I spelled her name correctly when I’m searching—I’ll update.
    A quick story regarding this book. By the way, her name is Connie Sayre. You'd think the seller would know that! A few years ago I bought her consigned set of The Plant through an East-coast bookseller. His stock-and-trade is not SK so I shared the information that The Plant chapbooks were actually Christmas cards. I then asked if Connie had a copy the red numbered EOTD because that substituted for The Plant in 1984. He relayed that information but no luck; she could not find that book. Two months later I received an e-mail letting me know that she found it and it was in great condition. Price $5K. I was soooo pissed because there have been red numbered EOTDs sitting on ABE for $2.5K and higher for years without being sold. And yet the price was $5K. So I made a counter-offer that was way above "market" but it was rejected. We parted ways on good terms with the agreement that I'd have first right-of-refusal should she change her mind on price or if she wanted to sell to another party. Anyway, I was shocked to see the book being offered now through F&F in the UK. I guess I should rejoice that the asking price is now just south of $4K. I'd probably still pursue it if I didn't have some life decisions to make right now (I might write something in the "Random Consciousness" thread). Still makes me angry to find out about it the way I did.

John

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Yup, shinola happens. I feel for you.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Per Becca's post (#7) on the 2021 Collecting Goals thread, there is a red EOTD signed to someone named John Sagan. This book is #231, inscribed but it doesn't appear to be signed on the limitation page. I did a very cursory check on John Sagan but I didn't find anything I thought would be useful. I'm curious so I'll try again later.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice mikeyw is on a distinguished road

I have number 146 signed to Bill Rodeuick - least that’s how I think it reads !! Mr Kings handwriting isn’t great !!!! I can’t post attachments as my account status won’t allow - I must have been bad.....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyw View Post
    I have number 146 signed to Bill Rodeuick - least that’s how I think it reads !! Mr Kings handwriting isn’t great !!!! I can’t post attachments as my account status won’t allow - I must have been bad.....
    Posting pics as an attachment isn't available on this site. You need to have the picture hosted on the web or upload to the site gallery.

There are two ways to post photos. Either upload the photo to a web site that hosts photos and link to the photo with the icon, or you can upload to the site server in the Gallery.

To upload to the site server: Click Gallery. From the upper right of the menu on top of the new page click Upload Photos. Click the Browse button. Navigate to the photo on your hard drive and select it. Repeat for each photo. Click Open. Wait for the photo[s] to upload. When it's complete you will be taken back to your gallery.

You have three picture posting options. You can post the thumbnail, the medium sized image below the thumbnail, or you can click on the medium sized image and another window will open with a full sized image. Right click the image you want. Select Copy Image Location, then click the button in the thread you want and paste the image location in the box. Click OK.

You did it!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Thanks Brian - I was working on the status info and assumed that there was a minimum post count before you could upload. I don’t use any web sites for images so the upload via the sever looks good to me - should that work from an iOS device too ?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brian - I was working on the status info and assumed that there was a minimum post count before you could upload. I don’t use any web sites for images so the upload via the sever looks good to me - should that work from an iOS device too ?
    It should work from any browser.

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

I own Red Number 50.
    Dedicated to Charles L. Grant.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I updated the master list at the top of the page to reflect the new Red EOTD offered for sale by David at Bett's Books. Ironically, 19 of the 250 have been identified. The new ones are as follows:

I wish these were priced at this level now. What are the priced at! $3k?
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Country
    Country Flag

I'm guessing it might be Bill Roderick as King has characters in the Dark Tower series known as Children of Roderick and that may be a tribute to his friend.

I'm guessing it might be Bill Roderick as King has characters in the Dark Tower series known as Children of Roderick and that may be a tribute to his friend.
    Oh nice spot - I like that!! Once I figure this upload thing I’ll post the images and maybe we will have a better idea

Country
    Country Flag

Master list on first page updated to reflect the above additions.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just updated the master list at the top of the page to reflect a new Red EOTD I saw for sale for the healthy sum of $4,500.00. I am guessing that the price is this high because it also includes a three page signed handwritten note from King to Michele Slung on 4 x 6 note paper. The note refers to Michelle Slung's book MOMILIES, with some offerings by King of sayings from his Mother and the promise to supply a picture of his Mother when he returns to Maine. This particular copy is no. 77 of 250 and is inscribed, "For Michelle Slung-/ with best wishes - hope you'll have a happy holiday season. I also hope you like this little story. Keep well/ Steve King/12/6/84--P.S. Tabby says hello, and yes--my mother really did say all those things. S.K./." MOMILIES is Michele Slung's collection of wit, wisdom, and other sayings from Mothers. Michele Slung is also an editor and literary critic. I wish I could supply a picture of the book and/or the note; however, the seller provided neither.
    This has now sold, and the buyer has posted it one the Facebook site including the letter

It is a beauty. Hopefully they will add it on here too.
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Gunslinger Apprentice roopeshjoshi is on a distinguished road

Default EOTD Red#77

Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post
    Just updated the master list at the top of the page to reflect a new Red EOTD I saw for sale for the healthy sum of $4,500.00. I am guessing that the price is this high because it also includes a three page signed handwritten note from King to Michele Slung on 4 x 6 note paper. The note refers to Michelle Slung's book MOMILIES, with some offerings by King of sayings from his Mother and the promise to supply a picture of his Mother when he returns to Maine. This particular copy is no. 77 of 250 and is inscribed, "For Michelle Slung-/ with best wishes - hope you'll have a happy holiday season. I also hope you like this little story. Keep well/ Steve King/12/6/84--P.S. Tabby says hello, and yes--my mother really did say all those things. S.K./." MOMILIES is Michele Slung's collection of wit, wisdom, and other sayings from Mothers. Michele Slung is also an editor and literary critic. I wish I could supply a picture of the book and/or the note; however, the seller provided neither.
    This has now sold, and the buyer has posted it one the Facebook site including the letter

Looking to see if this works - i put the photos here, for some reason I couldn't figure out how to insert the photo directly here even using the Insert Image button:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...medium/169.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...medium/425.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/.../IMG_79041.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...medium/245.JPG

This has the larger images:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/...e=425&cat=1104

My understanding from reading the forum and other sources is that 250 red-numbered copies were given as gifts to people on King's Christmas greeting list. Additionally, 200 copies of The Plant were also given over the course of three years as gifts to people on King's Christmas list. Undoubtedly, many of these copies are still in the possession of those that originally received them; however, I thought it might be interesting to have a source collectors could turn to that tracks which individual on King's Christmas list received each book. I think posting a picture of the number and the signed dedication so all could read the note might be cool. Also, maybe adding a blurb about the individual's connection to King might be interesting as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any copies of the Plant so I will leave it someone else to start that thread. As far as EOTD, here goes:

Carroll Terrell, now deceased, was an English professor of Kings at the University of Maine in Orono. He was the founder of Northern Lights, a small press affiliated with the university. Terrell wrote Stephen King: The Man and Artist published by Northern Lights in 1990. Additionally, The Dark Man, published by Cemetery Dance in 2013 is dedicated by King, "In Memory of Caroll F. Terrell, scholar and friend."

Update to thread--below are the numbers I'm currently aware of and the individual to whom they were inscribed with date inscribed, if known, and relevance to King's life, if known:

8-----Don Grant (12/2/84)(Publisher/Donald M. Grant Publishing, Inc.)
    15----David and Donna Morrell (date unknown)(novelist/creator of "Rambo)
    19----Kay McCauley (11/23/84)(Sister of King's Agent, Kirby McCauley)
    35----Jim Feury/family (11/25/84)(a.k.a. "Mighty John Marshall," D.J. on WCAZ--Author's Note to Christine S/L)
    42----Patti and Ron Norwood (11/24/84)
    43----Greg and Susie McDonald and Doug and Chris (11/23/84)(“Fletch” author)
    50----Charles Grant (11/24/84)(Author/editor)
    59----Chuck Foster (11/25/84)(Legendary DJ @ Bangor radio station)
    60----J.J. West (11/25/84)(DJ @ Bangor radio station)
    74----Stephen Jay Gould (5/2/85)(Harvard professor and popular author on popular science)
    77----Michelle Slung (12/6/84)(Author of MOMILIES, also she is an editor and book critic)
    81----Sam Vaughn (11/25/84)
    88----Jack and Betty Bennett(11/30/84)(Prof. of English/Univ. of Maine)
    93----Marty Ketchum (11/30/84)
    100---Alex Berman (11/30/84)(co-founder of Phantasia Press with Sidney Altus)
    103---David and Sylvia Smith (12/6/84)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    104---Carroll Terrell (11/30/84)(Prof. of English/Univ. of Maine)
    115---Burt and Virginia Hatlen (11/30/84)(Prof. of English/Univ. of Maine)
    126---Signed, but not inscribed. One of 10 copies given to Michael Alpert for his work on the project.
    131---Rob and Constance Hunting (11/30/84)(Founder/Editior--Puckerbrush Press)
    145---Bob Collins (12/21/84)(inscribed, but not signed at the limitation page)
    146---Bill Roderick (?)(Awaiting further information)
    150---Maryann Palumbo(12/6/84)(King's press agent in early 80's)
    171---Connie Sarpe (12/1/84)(Director of Sales and marketing at Viking)
    174---Arik Verezhensky (4/30/86)(Owner, Gemini Books and Arts)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    193---Josh Grob (Construction worker @King's home)
    196---Bill Roderick
    197---Terry Tidwell (7/2/92)(also signed by artist, Kenneth Linkhauser, on limitation page)
    215---Chris Steinbrunner (12/2/84)(1934 – 7 July 1993: was an Edgar Award-winning American author, broadcaster and historian specializing in detective film and fiction)
    231---John Sagan (12/19/84)
    239---Dennis McMillan(1/10/85)(publisher)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    241---Jim French(12/6/84)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    250---Signed, but not inscribed (SK personal copy)
    #97 is to Ruth and Jerry. signed 12/6/84
    #235 is to Glenn Lord. dated 12/29/84. Lord was a literary agent and friend of King's literary agent Kirby McCauley.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by roopeshjoshi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post

Looking to see if this works - i put the photos here, for some reason I couldn't figure out how to insert the photo directly here even using the Insert Image button:

This has the larger images:
    Fixed it for you.

Thanks so much! How do you do it? The Insert Image button was asking a url, and i couldn't directly insert an image.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by roopeshjoshi View Post
    Thanks so much! How do you do it? The Insert Image button was asking a url, and i couldn't directly insert an image.
    The gallery links you used work with the insert image function. I just changed the tags in your post from [ url] and [ /url] to [ img] and [ /img]

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Roopesh,

Congratulations on the wonderful acquisition! I lament my procrastination and my own arrogance in thinking that I could buy this anytime. I have just one question: Did King sign this copy on the signature page as well as with the inscription? Thanks...enjoy, and congrats again!

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast