Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please choose one

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

18 69.23%
  • National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)

8 30.77%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Final

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Octofinals were eight polls of three titles. Again, all films are ranked by an aggregate percentage number gained throughout the tournament. Prior to each new round the titles are ranked first to last and seeded accordingly. So with eight polls, the first eight titles (1 through 8) are seeded first, then the next eight, then the last eight. So the first poll has titles rated 1, 9, and 17, the second poll has titles rated 2, 10, 18. And so on. It's a simple and fair process I think.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As for what you call "manipulation", I firmly believe I have the right to rescind my vote as poll-runner in order to break the tie. I did this during the flags tournament and that was fine then. I'm not giving an extra vote to a movie, I'm taking my vote away.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Originally Posted by Jimimck
    Uh, must have missed that. What won?

Alien.

Which basically meant that a Sci-Fi movie won the Horror tournament.
    ???? How did Aliens even get included to begin with? Thats not a horror.

Do you remember what was second?
    Um.

Alien is most definitely a horror film.

Actually, it's considered one of the greatest horror films of all time.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't agree with rescinding a vote after the poll has closed, but I don't see a problem with the way the groups were organized.

As someone whom has run his fair share of tournaments it is impossible to group them in a way that will please everyone.

Country
    Country Flag

Think of it like this: I was considering rescinding my vote if the poll closed with a tie, I just didn't post it in time.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Alien.

Um.

Um, maybe in your opinion but it really is a Sci fi film. A very good Sci fi film yes, but a sci fi film none the less.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's see.
    A few of the results that "best horror films of all time" google search reveals.

The American Film Institute's Top 100 Greatest horror movies ever (#6 btw)
    http://www.afi.com/100years/thrills.aspx

From Rotten Tomatoes
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides...orror-movies/#

From Time out London .com
    http://www.timeout.com/london/film/b...t#tab_panel_10

**they even have a listing of various experts in the genre whom helped form that list^ which you can find here
    http://www.timeout.com/london/film/t...age_page=44205

Rolling Stone reader polls
    http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/l...nting-20141008

Slant magazine
    http://www.slantmagazine.com/feature...of-all-time/P8

And so on, and so forth...

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I'm not sure a lot of list from the Internet is going to convince me Aliens is a Horror film and not a Sci Fi film....

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

TRY BOTH!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I'm not sure a lot of list from the Internet is going to convince me Aliens is a Horror film and not a Sci Fi film....
    You can't just add an "s". You're now discussing two completely different films. Yes, Alien is a horror film and has been considered to be one by many people for many years. In fact, it's both a horror film and a Sci-fi film. Gasp! It can be both. Aliens, however, you have a much better argument. It's way more action than anything else and I don't personally consider that one horror.

On IMDB, Alien is considered Horror/Sci-fi and Aliens is considered Action/Sci-fi/adventure. But you can't just change the film you're arguing about.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

Alien.

Psycho came second.

But then Psycho isn't a Horror film either. It's a Thriller.

Um.

Um, maybe in your opinion but it really is a Sci fi film. A very good Sci fi film yes, but a sci fi film none the less.
    Let's see.
    A few of the results that "best horror films of all time" google search reveals.

The American Film Institute's Top 100 Greatest horror movies ever (#6 btw)
    http://www.afi.com/100years/thrills.aspx
    The American Film Institute's Top 100 Greatest Horror Movies may have Alien ranked at #6, but consider some of the other films also included in that same list...

#8. The French Connection Really?

#10. Raiders of the Lost Ark Yeah, sure.

#11. The Godfather WTF!!!

#19. The Great Escape Hahaha!!!

#23. Lawrence of Arabia Now they are just taking the piss...

#25. Titanic Actually this was truly horrific, just not in the right way... LOL!

#27. Star Wars Pffffft!!!!

#37. Casablanca Priceless!!!

#39. Die Hard ROFL!!!

Somehow, I don't think the AFI's list is particularly accurate... LOL! LOL!

From Time out London .com
    http://www.timeout.com/london/film/b...t#tab_panel_10

**they even have a listing of various experts in the genre whom helped form that list^ which you can find here
    http://www.timeout.com/london/film/t...age_page=44205
    Well according to Time Out, Alien is ranked #5 in their list of best Horror films.

However, Alien is ranked #3 in Time Out's Greatest Sci-Fi films of all time (just behind Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey), so I'm assuming those same "experts" believe Alien to be a better Sci-Fi than a Horror movie...

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/the-100-best-sci-fi-movies-10-1?package_page=45597

Country
    Country Flag

That AFI list is the 100 Most Thrilling Movies, not Horror.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    However, Alien is ranked #3 in Time Out's Greatest Sci-Fi films of all time (just behind Blade Runner and 2001: A Space Odyssey), so I'm assuming those same "experts" believe Alien to be a better Sci-Fi than a Horror movie...
    What we're getting at here is whether or not Alien is considered a horror - it is, obviously. We can debate numbers among the pantheon after.

I guess I'll never understand peoples raging hardon over discrediting Alien as a horror film. It's pretty sad.

Country
    Country Flag

And this isn't even the thread to do it in. Plus, this was already debated during the Horror Tournament.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Well at least the debate is more interesting than the current final hahaha

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd love to see that AFI link. I have a feeling Pablo is right, there's no way AFI would make a horror list with French Connection on it.

EDIT: Pablo is indeed right. It's AFI 100 most thrilling films.

[QUOTE=Still Servant;926937]I'd love to see that AFI link. I have a feeling Pablo is right, there's no way AFI would make a horror list with French Connection on it.

ONLY IF THEY PICKED THEIR TOES IN POUGHKEEPSIE.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    You can't just add an "s". You're now discussing two completely different films. Yes, Alien is a horror film and has been considered to be one by many people for many years. In fact, it's both a horror film and a Sci-fi film. Gasp! It can be both. Aliens, however, you have a much better argument. It's way more action than anything else and I don't personally consider that one horror.

On IMDB, Alien is considered Horror/Sci-fi and Aliens is considered Action/Sci-fi/adventure. But you can't just change the film you're arguing about.
    Purely a typo on my part

1st CLUE IS ON THE COVER.

Country
    Country Flag

Getting things back on track, the Final poll will close in two days, so if you haven't voted yet, please do so. Although Holy Grail has a healthy 9-point lead.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this rice is cooked.

I'll get the ticker tape parade ready.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is like one of those boring Super Bowls where one team is blown out early and nobody has anything to look forward to but the guacamole and the commercials.

One thing for sure.....There won't be any RABBIT STEW.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    This is like one of those boring Super Bowls where one team is blown out early and nobody has anything to look forward to but the guacamole and the commercials.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

My top four would have been:

Modern Times
    Annie Hall
    Blazing Saddles
    Bringing Up Baby

Any two pairings of these for me is impossible to pick

(and fifth would have been Groundhog Day )

Anyone else care to share their personal picks for top Four (or Five) Comedies from the ones nominated?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast