Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: General impressions of the Dark Tower comics?

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My local library may have them as well. That's how I read Locke & Key without touching my collectables.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    My local library may have them as well. That's how I read Locke & Key without touching my collectables.
    Good on ya for taking the third option .

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Good on ya for taking the third option .
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Traveler R. Stewart will become famous soon enough

"I really can't do that with the Dark Tower comics except to say "other worlds than these" but even then are we supposed to believe that there are multiple Rolands in different universes all on different quests for the Tower?"

I haven't given the comics shot yet - heck, I've only read "The Gunslinger" at this point! - but since "other worlds" is a theme, I can't see why comic version wouldn't work, assuming they're of decent quality.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Does the below scene from the comics play out the same way in The Gunslinger? If not, is there a moment close to it?

Spoiler:

Country
    Country Flag

Yummy yummy crickets .

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

lol just goes to show how no one cares about the comics anymore.

No, that scene never happened. There's never any point in 'The Gunslinger' where Roland considers leaving the Tower behind to raise Jake.

Heck I don't think there's ANY scene in the entire series where Roland contemplates leaving the Tower behind even when he's become cuddlier with the Ka-tet.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    lol just goes to show how no one cares about the comics anymore.

No, that scene never happened. There's never any point in 'The Gunslinger' where Roland considers leaving the Tower behind to raise Jake.

Heck I don't think there's ANY scene in the entire series where Roland contemplates leaving the Tower behind even when he's become cuddlier with the Ka-tet.
    Yummy yummy lemons.

Traveler Talisgirl19 will become famous soon enough Talisgirl19's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I recently acquired the rest, from the Tull story on, after several years. My first impression echoed someone else's complaint about the "rambling out loud to himself" uncharacteristic Roland. I tried to set that aside and forgive it, because obviously it's how they chose to give us the narrative and the gunslingers inner workings. The introduction explains some of that but I still don't understand why it had to be first person spoken...Fuck it, I'm going to enjoy them as much as possible
    [I]"A fallish whin' was blowin.' Da kine et fine eh hole in yo paints n' blow strayduppah cracka' yo ais!"

<-------------------------------------------------btw, I made that

Traveler SKfan01 is on a distinguished road SKfan01's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Future omnibus releases?

I'm hoping that there's going to be a complete omnibus set coming out at some point containing all of the Dark Tower comics, companion releases, bonus materials and all cover art. lt looks like Marvel lost the Dark Tower rights before being able to release the third omnibus and Gallery 13 released The Drawing of the Three before having the rights for The Sailor. I've read that both companies' releases have issues with pages detaching if you try to read them. Being a huge comic book and Stephen King fan, a fully complete quality-made omnibus set release is what I'm waiting for, even if they don't continue the story with any new Dark Tower comics in the future.

Traveler Marcellus is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Talisgirl19 View Post
    I recently acquired the rest, from the Tull story on, after several years. My first impression echoed someone else's complaint about the "rambling out loud to himself" uncharacteristic Roland. I tried to set that aside and forgive it, because obviously it's how they chose to give us the narrative and the gunslingers inner workings. The introduction explains some of that but I still don't understand why it had to be first person spoken...Fuck it, I'm going to enjoy them as much as possible
    It's natural to be concerned about the narrative style shift in the later books of the Dark Tower series. While Roland's break from his stern exterior may appear unexpected, it is a conscious decision to explore deeper into his psyche. Despite initial skepticism, embracing the series' merits can lead to a rewarding voyage through the Dark Tower universe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2