• Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

6 25.00%
  • This Is Spinal Tap (1984)

6 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 3 - Group D

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Comedy Tournament: Round 3 - Group D

For the Round 3 polls, please vote for up to two titles to move on to the next round. You can vote for less, but please make sure you are not voting for more before clicking that Vote button. The poll will be open for one week. The top two titles will be moving on to the Octofinals.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is one of the toughest groups so far, I think. All great movies, classics, all from the '80s. Hard choice but I went with The Naked Gun and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Airplane!
    This Is Spinal Tap

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Airplane!
    This Is Spinal Tap

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Only two winners here. Hate that stupid silly comedy like Naked Gun. Only two intelligent ones for me that were actually funny... Beverly Hills and Planes.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

The Naked Gun brought spoof films up to an art form. I just recently rewatched Airplane, and it's a little too stilted. NG is just a bit better.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I wanted to vote for Naked Gun, but This Is Spinal Tap won instead. And I couldn't not vote for Airplane!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The art form peaked with Airplane!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Spinal Tap!

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing in two days, so get your votes in! PT&A needs more love!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This one is easy for me. Airplane! is one of my favorite comedies of all time and my pick to win the whole thing.

I love Naked Gun, but there is no Naked Gun without Airplane!. I love the Zucker's, but nothing they do or have done will ever top Airplane! for me
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe Planes, Trains and Automobiles is losing

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

These are all good comedies, so I'm happy for any of these going through.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    These are all good comedies, so I'm happy for any of these going through.
    I'm pretty much at that point with most of the movies that are left. I have my favorites among them but I won't be completely surprised or unhappy if they lose out to any of the others.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Airplane! and The Naked Gun are too much alike for this to be fair. We should have had preliminary rounds to decide which one is better. Having two films from one popular director clean up a "pick any two" round doesn't say much in a best comedy tourney except that there's something wrong with that tourney.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

People complain about certain groups because films are too different.
    Now you're complaining because two films are too much alike?!
    No one can ever win!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What people? When was that exactly?
    If you're talking about people complaining that films that are good in different ways are hard to choose between, that's not the same kind of complaint. A choice doesn't have to be easy to be meaningful.
    What I've been saying is that we should start with different types, then make them all compete against each other. It imbalances the tournament to let similar choices run alongside each other throughout the whole process, IMO.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    If you're talking about people complaining that films that are good in different ways are hard to choose between, that's not the same kind of complaint. A choice doesn't have to be easy to be meaningful.
    What I've been saying is that we should start with different types, then make them all compete against each other. It imbalances the tournament to let similar choices run alongside each other throughout the whole process, IMO.
    What different types?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

But if people prefer those types of films. Suppose these two both come out near the top, how would separating them early on be more fair?

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following two titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Airplane! (1980) 62.50%
    2. The Naked Gun (1988) 37.50%

And the following three titles have been eliminated:
    1. Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987) 29.17%
    2. Beverly Hills Cop (1984) 25.00%
    3. This Is Spinal Tap (1984) 25.00%

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If you're talking about people complaining that films that are good in different ways are hard to choose between, that's not the same kind of complaint.
    Yeah, I misunderstood your post originally. You meant it was not fair for you to have choose between them lol.

It imbalances the tournament to let similar choices run alongside each other throughout the whole process, IMO.
    how?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

If you're talking about people complaining that films that are good in different ways are hard to choose between, that's not the same kind of complaint.
    Yeah, I misunderstood your post originally. You meant it was not fair for you to have choose between them lol.
    Wait, whut? You mean that you thought that I meant it was not fair for me to have choose between them, right? Because I think I just made it clear that what I meant was that it's less fair for all three other options to get eliminated by our total voters.

It imbalances the tournament to let similar choices run alongside each other throughout the whole process, IMO.
    how?
    Just numerically. Again, this round is "pick any two" and it seems we have prolonged putting off picking between these two again. Which makes this round (again IMO) less fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    But if people prefer those types of films. Suppose these two both come out near the top, how would separating them early on be more fair?
    I think we knew they're both popular. If both of these are in the final, it will be just like we HAD done a "Best Zucker Comedy" prelim, except that we let a general comedy tournament get in the way in the meantime. Perhaps that is what the community is actually trying to say -- "Their movies are so good that we'd rather flush most other comedians before we choose just one." -- in which case it's not unfair, after all; just a little less interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    What I've been saying is that we should start with different types, then make them all compete against each other.
    What different types?
    Ok, well, I went ahead and analyzed roughly the titles remaining in Round 3, and the situation is actually no longer as bad as I assumed. So maybe I'm just wrong altogether.

National Lampoon's Vacation
    National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Evil Dead II
    Army of Darkness

Meet the Parents
    Meet the Fockers

Blazing Saddles
    Spaceballs

Raising Arizona
    The Big Lebowski

Airplane!
    The Naked Gun

Clerks
    Dogma

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
    Life of Brian

A Fish Called Wanda

There's Something About Mary
    Tropic Thunder

Animal House
    The Blues Brothers

Clue
    This Is Spinal Tap

¡Three Amigos!
    The Jerk
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Trading Places
    48 Hrs.
    Beverly Hills Cop
    Coming to America

Caddyshack
    Stripes
    Ghostbusters
    Groundhog Day
    What About Bob?

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
    Dumb and Dumber
    Liar Liar

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
    Elf

American Pie
    Police Academy
    The Hangover
    Home Alone
    Back to the Future
    Shaun of the Dead
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Beetlejuice
    Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
    Happy Gilmore
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Napoleon Dynamite
    Major League
    Dazed and Confused
    Zombieland
    Dr. Strangelove (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)
    Office Space
    The Princess Bride
    A Christmas Story
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

So now we're gonna start doing different categories within categories for our tournaments?
    In my honest opinion, that'll just open the door for more debating, since I can already say that I don't agree with some of the movies you listed as being the same "type" of movie. They may have the same director, actor, etc., but that doesn't make them the same.
    If that were the case, I would have voted for Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura, which I didn't. (along with a lot of other titles up there).

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    So now we're gonna start doing different categories within categories for our tournaments?
    MOVIE TOURNAMENTCEPTION!!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast