Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Official Toronto Blue Jays Thread

The Yankee's have theirs, and "field of dreams" is all inclusive, but I thought it would be nice to have our own thread for the few Blue Jays fans here on TDT.org

Lets talk Blue Jays. How's everyone feeling so far about the solid start to the season?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a Blue Jays fan, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Sanchez pitch today.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've seen your comments regarding the Jays in the recent past, so I know they're on your radar. We do have a lot going for us when it comes to young pitching this season. Between Norris, Sanchez, Osuna and Castro, it should be a VERY intriguing season from a pitching perspective.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sanchez, along with the rest of the team, stunk up Camden Yards tonight. Was not a pretty game to watch as a Jays fan.

And GTFO out MIKES! Jays fans ONLY! LOL! (please don't leave, there are like two of us Jays fans here haha)

I had the game on mute while I read for the last few innings. No idea what Schowalter was challenging/talking to the umps about, but you were up 7-0 in the 9th with only two outs until you won...let it go! haha.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

I followed the score inning by inning on tsn.com but didn't have a tv nearby to watch it. I'll hopefully catch the "Jays in 30" recap (best show on television). Not promising for young Sanchez though. If we plan on making it to the post season, he's going to have to turn it around in a hurry. I know one outing doesn't dictate much in 160+ game season, but that doesn't instill much confidence.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Chances are Sanchez will be the one re-assigned to Buffalo when/if Stroman comes back. I think adding a dependable starter will be AA's priority at the trade deadline if Sanchez isn't working out. I would love for Sanchez to be in the bullpen, though. So far Travis has worked out well at second, but, as Tim and Sid (Toronto Radio) always joked about, "It's still early".

Country
    Country Flag

*time for Tim and Sid* yeah, it's early. I'm already sick of Greg Zhaun and Buck is getting on my nerves.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not a fan of the Zauntourage? lol I'm sad Tim and Sid is over. The TV show will be great, I'm sure, but I like the multitasking I can do with podcast/radio...I usually listen to Tim and Sid when I'm cleaning, playing video games or walking. Been a fan of them since Headline Sports, and TheScore was the best sports channel at the time, though most of that talent has gone over to SN now.

Huge win today. I could only catch the last third of the game. Will have to look at the box score. I'm curious to see how Hutch did.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I didn't see it all, watched some of the 1st and caught some on 590 in the car. Watched the 8/9th on tv, they said something about Hutch not having a great outing. Castro seemed to be throwing some wild pitches too, but Pillar got it done. Him and Travis have been impressing me this season.

No I'm not a fan of Zaun Cherry. I find him pretentious and borderline ridiculous. I didn't take much issue with him last year, but I've been doing some reading and some of his views about hazing and "paying your dues" are absurd. Too old school.

A win is a win, nice to hear that Bautista hit a homer, same with Pompey

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Sanchez, along with the rest of the team, stunk up Camden Yards tonight. Was not a pretty game to watch as a Jays fan.

And GTFO out MIKES! Jays fans ONLY! LOL! (please don't leave, there are like two of us Jays fans here haha)

I had the game on mute while I read for the last few innings. No idea what Schowalter was challenging/talking to the umps about, but you were up 7-0 in the 9th with only two outs until you won...let it go! haha.

I was waiting for that. As for Buck, that's kind of what I've always hated about him. I'm all for being competitive to the end, but sometimes it's just silly.

Yes, I do follow the Jays very closely. I have a lot of their players on my fantasy team (dynasty league). I know Sanchez pitched poorly, but I'm not worried yet. I think he's a potentially big piece for the Jays this season. I'm really encouraged early with Castro.

I'm also anxiously awaiting Jeff Hoffman's debut at some point this summer. Some scouts consider him to have some of the highest upside of pitchers in the minor leagues.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The past couple years Toronto fans have been freaking out about our pitching and AA has been quiet on that front, and it makes sense with all our young guys coming up. We had high hopes for Stroman, but everyone talked about Sanchez a lot more and Stroman kind of just came out, took over, and it like 'things might be okay'...then he tears his ACL :/ . It's hard to blame Toronto fans though, after the meltdown of Ricky Romero and how guys like McGowan and Morrow just didn't pan out and got injured. No one ever lived up to Halladay, who was just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide
    Castro seemed to be throwing some wild pitches too, but Pillar got it done. Him and Travis have been impressing me this season.
    Travis so far seems like he will make a satisfactory second baseman. Pillar impressed me last year, but he did need to mature a little bit. I think his little dugout freakout and getting sent back down really helped bring him back down to earth. He just seems more patient and more calm so far. Hopefully all these young guys who made the team can produce and defend, and we can save whatever changes we need to make to the rotation (if need be), but, more importantly, the thing that terrifies me, is the very iffy bullpen. Every time I see Redmond pitch he stinks it up, but granted I don't see his every appearance...Vinnie Chulk did the same thing to me too lol, he always sucked when I saw him pitch.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The past couple years Toronto fans have been freaking out about our pitching and AA has been quiet on that front, and it makes sense with all our young guys coming up. We had high hopes for Stroman, but everyone talked about Sanchez a lot more and Stroman kind of just came out, took over, and it like 'things might be okay'...then he tears his ACL :/ . It's hard to blame Toronto fans though, after the meltdown of Ricky Romero and how guys like McGowan and Morrow just didn't pan out and got injured. No one ever lived up to Halladay, who was just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide
    Castro seemed to be throwing some wild pitches too, but Pillar got it done. Him and Travis have been impressing me this season.
    Travis so far seems like he will make a satisfactory second baseman. Pillar impressed me last year, but he did need to mature a little bit. I think his little dugout freakout and getting sent back down really helped bring him back down to earth. He just seems more patient and more calm so far. Hopefully all these young guys who made the team can produce and defend, and we can save whatever changes we need to make to the rotation (if need be), but, more importantly, the thing that terrifies me, is the very iffy bullpen. Every time I see Redmond pitch he stinks it up, but granted I don't see his every appearance...Vinnie Chulk did the same thing to me too lol, he always sucked when I saw him pitch.
    This is the best crop of pitchers the Jays have had since Halladay and Carpenter. Norris alone has more upside than McGowan (who I had on my fantasy team back in the day too) and Morrow (who I actually liked more as a power reliever when he was coming up with the Mariners).

I know Carpenter never worked out for the Jays and then turned into a great pitcher after he left. Halladay was always an interesting case. A guy that pitched so poorly at the Major League level that he got sent all the way back down to Single-A. An amazing story of perseverance.

Country
    Country Flag

I suspect Sanchez/Osuna/Castro will all have to settle in. It's strange that by comparison Hutch looks grey haired and long in the tooth (I'm kidding, but you know what I mean). Osuna and Castro both seem VERY composed for their age though, I didn't get a chance to see Sanchez's start so I cant speak to that.

I think what I'm most hopeful for is Russel Martin. His season starting at-bats have been pretty abysmal so I'm hoping that slump ends shortly and that his ability to catch Dickey holds out, I suspect it will be tiring for him.

Big home opener tonight, Fingers crossed that it's a big win.

Country
    Country Flag

Can we talk about how INSANE a week it's been for Kevin Pillar? I lost my God Damn mind when he went up over the wall to rob the Rays of that homer. Holy hell was that impressive.

Lots of gifs about his plays here:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/one-w...-kevin-pillar/

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Not a Blue Jays fan but I was glad to see Mark Buehrle crack 200 wins. Dude was the very definition of dependable while he was in Chicago. You could pretty much pencil him in for 10+ wins and 200+ innings every single year.

Seems like a really nice guy in person as well.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sanchez - Just let them hit it, kid. Your life will be a lot easier.

I swear his stuff is so good, hitters will get themselves out most of the time. He does need to work on his secondary pitches though. Castro should show him that change.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That was a tough series. Figures the second Archer is out of the game we start putting up hits and runs. We've had issues with hard throwing righties all season. Won't get to catch the game tonight, just pieces of it. Ottawa Senators game 2 vs. Montreal Canadiens is on tonight. GO OTTAWA!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Hey look, Martin can hit! Shame it didn't win us the ball game, still nice to see.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    Hey look, Martin can hit! Shame it didn't win us the ball game, still nice to see.
    I expect Martin to start hitting, but if I were a Jays fan I wouldn't be expecting him to hit .290 like he did last year for the Pirates.

Honestly, he's been a below average hitter since leaving the Dodgers. He hit rock bottom for the Yankees the last year he was there when he hit .211. He was a horror show to watch at the plate.

Country
    Country Flag

Playing at the SkyDome should benefit him. I expect to see a fair few deep fly balls turn into homers for Martin. Shame to lose the series, thankfully there's a lot more baseball to be played. The team still needs to settle in.

Anyone else frustrated with Jose "made of glass" Reyes? It's not his fault, it's just difficult to watch him get hurt...again.

Country
    Country Flag

What an insane game last night. 13-6 win, EE cranks two massive homers (one into the 500's), Jose loses his mind at the plate and pimps a well deserved homer and it felt like the benches were going to clear...again.

Oh, and Pillar makes the diving superman double play of the season and is officially my favourite Jay right now. Seriously, where can I buy a Jersey?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bautista has every reason to be upset after the pitcher threw at him, but the way he acted after hitting that home run is uncalled for. Judging by Adam Jones' reaction, Bautista better expect to catch one between the numbers for real next time.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Bautista has every reason to be upset after the pitcher threw at him, but the way he acted after hitting that home run is uncalled for. Judging by Adam Jones' reaction, Bautista better expect to catch one between the numbers for real next time.
    Are you talking about him "pimping" the home run, or shouting at the other players? Because I thought both were called for. Adam Jones was trying to insinuate that Bautista was acting unsportsmanlike by watching his homer and flipping his bat, completely discounting how unsportsmanlike firing a 90MPH pitch at another player is. I think Bautista's anger at his comments was justified.

You threaten someone's ability to play, which is their livelihood, and potentially SERIOUSLY injure someone and then get huffy because they hurt your feelings by enjoying their game play/retribution? Those two things are not equal.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Like it or not, beaning a player is part of the game. It's been around forever. Bautista is not the first player to encounter that. Also, the pitch wasn't exactly at his head, it was more at the numbers, I'd prefer it was at the butt though. Hit the home run. That's statement enough. By doing what Bautista did you are showing up the entire other team, not just the pitcher. The other Orioles players had nothing to do with it, why rub it in their face?

Trust me, if it was the other way around, you'd be pissed.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Like it or not, beaning a player is part of the game.
    Times change, sports change. "Beaning players" is the same as checking from behind in hockey. It's dirty, it's dangerous, and it will ruin athletic careers. There's a reason the NFL and the NHL are changing the way their game is policed to try and combat this. The same is true for baseball, just because it's the way it used to be done doesn't mean it's good for the sport, safe, or smart. In fact I would argue it's the opposite on all fronts. It dirties the image of the sport, it's dangerous as hell, and it's a stupid form of retribution that's detrimental to the guy on the mound (when he receives a suspension) the batter in the box (when he gets injured) and the managers/old baseball guard who're endangering their players.

Sure it makes for interesting sports articles, but I don't think it that it 'teaches anyone a lesson'.

Nor should it be taken laying down, people ought to be outraged and get mad as hell when dangerous stupid shit like that is done, Bautista included.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast