Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series

Gunslinger Apprentice Bumbler19 is on a distinguished road

I loved WoTC, I think i'm gonna wait till I do a reread to proclaim a favorite though... as far as WoTC building up to the wolves and then it being over... I thought it was fairly exciting and is anyone forgetting The Wastelands? They didn't even get on Blaine and actually gos out into the wastelands until the last few pages of the book, and the conclusion was in THE NEXT book (wizard and glass). DT does this a lot, it shouldn't have been a surprise XD

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Actually, the reason I didn't like this book was the references to things too recent in pop culture. For some reason, I was fine with stuff from the 80's being in the books, but as soon as I saw the Harry Potter-related stuff, the book lost me. It pulled me out of the story and the world that King had created up to that point. Yes, I know that Mid-World is our world in the future, but somehow that doesn't seem to matter to my brain.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's our world in the future at all. I think, however, that the inspiration for Seven Samurai, Harry Potter, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came, and countless other cultural phenomena, had the Dark Tower as its source. There's little or no difference between different decades - or millenia - when you look from the Tower; what happens closer to the core of all existence will be reflected in countless universes, calendar notwithstanding; there's no difference between Harry Potter and Romeo&Juliet, world-creation-wise.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

That's why I think it's strange that it bothers me so much. In Mid-world, what's the difference between the 80's and the 00's? Nothing. It pulled me away from the story all the same.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Interesting Laura really cant say I understand completely what you mean
    but I think time really doesnt mean much at all when it comes to the stories, or life.
    All indications are that strange things abounded every where/when.

Take today for instance......it made little to no sense at all to me

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny but I felt that it was a good start to the "endgame" so to speak (meaning the last 2 books) I agree it did drag a little but no where near as much as W&G did in the Days of Roland part. But, then again maybe its because I have re-read them all so much.

I too especially liked the Todash and Wolves parts
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbler19 View Post
    I loved WoTC, I think i'm gonna wait till I do a reread to proclaim a favorite though... as far as WoTC building up to the wolves and then it being over... I thought it was fairly exciting and is anyone forgetting The Wastelands? They didn't even get on Blaine and actually gos out into the wastelands until the last few pages of the book, and the conclusion was in THE NEXT book (wizard and glass). DT does this a lot, it shouldn't have been a surprise XD
    Concerning The Waste lands, in my mind the Waste Lands wasn't just the nuclear desert but the city of Ludd itself. Come to think of it much of Mid-world itself is a wasteland in a way. It could also be a metaphor for the mental state of some of the characters too. (And probably other philosophical stuff that passed me by)...

... but anyway, I mostly agree with you concerning Wolves. There was a lot of great stuff leading up until the end battle. I rather enjoyed the palaver and back-stories too and the todash moments. And the wolves were also very relevant long before they ever appeared. They'd cast a shadow over the town for so long, and a couple of the wolves were right home there, disguised as friendly pet dogs as it were. (That sounds corny I know.)

Ok, since this is a 'what I didn't like' thread... I guess I found the thinking cap things on the wolves a little too convenient. Also at the start the Wolves were described as having guns as well as their fancy weapons. (I imagine that was mostly the villagers blowing things out of proportion though.) In the end that wasn't the case. I wonder if they would have provided more of a challenge if they had? Imagine having to duck bullets, and attempting to shoot sneetches out of the air before they blow your head off!

Along the Path of the Beam Matt of Gilead is on a distinguished road

You know, it strikes me as odd that so many people dislike each book in this series, as this is a fan site for the series. I guess it's all different people.

Personally, I really enjoyed this book as an opportunity to see the ka-tet actually being gunslingers.

And I don't think even SK could write 4000 words about four characters.
    "The ability to get back up after a defeat is far more admirable than the ability to never lose." -Narumi Kiyotaka

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished this book last night for the first time. I really enjoyed it. I liked going todash and finally learning some of the stuff that's so key to the series (i.e. '19', the rose, calvin tower, the vacant lot stuff was awesome . . . etc.). I can see how others may not like it as much though too. Father Callahan is an interesting character, but I felt like too much time was devoted to him. Like others, I wanted more of Roland and the Ka-Tet. One major turn off for me though was definitely some of the people in Calla. For most of the book, half of me really wanted Roland (after the whole speech he gave to Callahan in the beginning) to just wipe his hands and say, 'Fine. Fuck you people. Go ahead and die. We're out.'

Being gunslingers, I know they can't do that, but seriously . . . I really wish the ones like Took would've gotten killed one or the other.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Why, oh why, have I not posted in here?
    WotC is, quite possibly, the most compelling, and wonderful book I've ever read. In all seriousness, I absolutely loved it.
    Not one aspect of it bored me, and I really love meeting everybody in The Calla - especially Callahan. I mean, really - what a guy!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaRiley View Post
    perhaps because this thread is about NOT liking the book?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Could have something to do with that, sarajean...definitely could.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AlishaRiley View Post
    WotC is, quite possibly, the most compelling, and wonderful book I've ever read. In all seriousness, I absolutely loved it.
    Not one aspect of it bored me, and I really love meeting everybody in The Calla - especially Callahan. I mean, really - what a guy!
    The above is a perfect statements of bears' position.

(The "why" question seems to have been answered by sarajean, though)

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't hate the book but it's the least favorite from the dark tower series for me

For me the whole book seemed stretched and a bit boring - what really killed it for me was Callahan he and his stories totally left me cold and bored - i couldn't care less about them

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

I just feel like this book is WEIGHING ME DOWNNNNNNNNNNN.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by BillyxRansom View Post
    I just feel like this book is WEIGHING ME DOWNNNNNNNNNNN.
    Maybe you should try the paperback version?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I will say that whilst i do love Wolves of the Calla, i would also say it's not my favourite in the series. But, considering you have the brilliant DotT introducing some of the most interesting characters in literature in a truly compelling way, the truly epic Waste Lands, and the brilliant resolutions of the final volume, is that so surprising?

I've gotta say i do love the rich history of the whole book, from the little glimpses of Roland's past to the death and life of Father Callahan. Gunfights, androids, and Harry Potter references, not to mention the todash sequences, I certainly must say that i don't consider it to drag in the slightest. Unlike, i must say, Wizard and Glass, where very little of the actual quest seemed to happen, as good a story as Roland's love of Susan Delgado was.

So Wolves isn't my favourite, but that's only because there's so many other volumes in the series that's just PHENOMENAL.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

John F. Kennedy unclelouie will become famous soon enough

I am about 700 pages in..... and I must say, I really, really enjoyed the part of "Telling Tales", in which Fadda Callahan tells his backstory. The hidden highways.... the alternate Americas.... the Type3 vampires... the low men... I thought it was a fascinating tale within a tale.... Im a huge fan of the Fadda... what can I say!

Country
    Country Flag

hear, hear!

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I found the Mia aspect of the book a little boring. We already had Detta and Odetta which became Susannah. Then now we have Mia... seriously i was done with the multi personalities at the end of DOTT and now it seems like King couldn't let it go, Now we have Susannah, the occasional Detta AND Mia. Other than that I enjoyed the book. I felt the build up was a little long for 5 or 6 pages of a fight and everything is over.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I felt the build up was a little long for 5 or 6 pages of a fight and everything is over.
    That's exactly what I loved about the book (among many other things, but that's not for this thread ). Remember in Kurosawa's The Seven Samurai: the master of sword obviously spends all his life in preparation and training... and when the moment comes, he just makes this single untraceable move, and the fight is over. I think the difference in pace between the preparations and the fight in Wolves is a very graphic illustration of what gunslinging is about.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I feel that WotC was the "linchpin" of the series. It is my favorite by far. It forced my imagination like no other in the series. Much like The Tommyknockers, my mind was ablaze with possibilities.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I am just one of those weirdos that loved Wizard and Glass. I also really enjoyed WTTKH I love the universe of The Gunslinger but (please don't kill me for this) I am finding the 7 book series drawn out. I am at the point, about halfway through Song of Susannah, that I am just wanting to be at the end. I just want to know what happens when we get there but I feel like I will miss out on the enjoyment if I skip forward. Damn my impatience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast