Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    I think I am just one of those weirdos that loved Wizard and Glass.
    Not so weird. It's my favorite as well -by far- and in many a poll I've seen it end up in the #1 position.

sk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I feel that WotC was the "linchpin" of the series. It is my favorite by far. It forced my imagination like no other in the series. Much like The Tommyknockers, my mind was ablaze with possibilities.
    Wow!!!!!!!! I can't believe I don't remember hearing you say this before!!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found the Mia aspect of the book a little boring. We already had Detta and Odetta which became Susannah. Then now we have Mia... seriously i was done with the multi personalities at the end of DOTT and now it seems like King couldn't let it go, Now we have Susannah, the occasional Detta AND Mia. Other than that I enjoyed the book. I felt the build up was a little long for 5 or 6 pages of a fight and everything is over.
    I agree 100%, with regards to the Detta/Odetta/Susannah/Mia character. This is why Song of Susannah is my least favorite DT book. I never cared for any of the permutations of that character. How many times did we have to hear about "the chap"? That's also why I rate The Drawing of the Three lower than most others. WAY too much Detta / Odetta. One or two "honky graymeat muhfucker" is okay. But like 100 times, really?

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    I think I am just one of those weirdos that loved Wizard and Glass.
    Not so weird. It's my favorite as well -by far- and in many a poll I've seen it end up in the #1 position.

sk
    Also my favorite.

As to the topic at hand, I really did like Wolves of the Calla. Number 3 on my list, behind the aforementioned Wizard and Glass and The Wastelands. But not too far behind. I can forgive all that Mia nonsense because the rest of the book was so good.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

But WotC has a robot named "Andy."

Not Deep Blue or IBM's Watson or even Honda's ASIMO... but "Andy." Kinda like the Lord of the Rings' horse named "Bill" among all the odd names in the series.

Perhaps I digress.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

John F. Kennedy SolomonsGal will become famous soon enough SolomonsGal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    I will also say that Wolves contains my single favorite moment of the series which is Oy's greeting to the Calla-folken at the pavillion. To me that scene shows exactly how much of a genius Roland really is. Not only does he show up in the hour of their greatest need, bearing a famous name and famous guns, but he's even brought a talking billy-bumbler whom he has trained to act like a Gunslinger. The dance was but the encore, Oy was the show.
    I couldn't agree more! I felt an overwhelming surge of pride when Oy greeted the Calla-folken. Roland's Rice dance was amazing also. It was refreshing to see him having a good time and behaving as most humans do- even though his blue eyes were stone cold up until the end of his dance.

Roland and Callahan have a lot in common in this respect- they have seen the worst of humanity and it shows in their mien. Roland's eyes are forever cold, and Callahan can see the emptiness and sadness in a Dixie cup blowing across a street.

I do not think that this book was drawn out as a whole, but I do agree that Callahan's story was too long. I skimmed a few paragraphs (being a literature and ESL teacher I am the master at skimming while still getting the gist). But you know what? I did the same thing in the drawing of the three with Odetta/Detta. Her part of the tale really, really got to me...I don't know how to put it exactly- but it's akin to how I feel when I do too many crossword puzzles in a row. I just felt funny in my tummy and I wanted it to end (even though I liked it). Actually, I had to stop reading the series for a few months after that book. :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4