• Annie Hall (1977)

8 25.81%
  • The Trouble with Harry (1955)

8 25.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 2 - Group K

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Celebrity is definitely one of his weakest films. If you're into drama, he did one called Interiors, which he's not in and it is very reminiscent of an Ingmar Bergman film, stark and beautiful and bit emotionally taxing.

Crimes and Misdemeanors has always been right up at the top of the list for me, if you liked Match Point, a lot of the same themes are explored but with more humor.

And if you just want a truly weird experience, Stardust Memories is out there, way, way out there

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Woody is a true genius. Watch this great documentary about him, it was streaming on Netflix but looks like it's been taken off, sadly:

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Annie Hall is light years better than Star Wars and Woody Allen is one of the funniest people ever. Empirical fact.
    Yep.

I was a huge fan of Hannah and Her Sisters and Mighty Aphrodite too. His recent films like Midnight In Paris and Blue Jasmine are just as good. Woody Allen is the Elton John of movies...he can just pump out quality film after quality film for decades.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

He even did a great musical called Everyone Says I Love You, due for a rewatch soon.

Can you imagine what a Woody Allen horror film would be like?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

So obviously I love Woody's films but I do have a couple of complaints. For one, try as I might, I cannot think of more than two black characters in all of his movies and one was a prostitute. Two, I really cannot think of any gay characters at all. I'm not suggesting he is racist and/or homophobic but rather those types of characters are simply outside of his comfort zone. I feel that artists should grow as they get older and explore new territory, which he definitely does but I do wish he would stretch a bit and try to create more gay and black characters. I think the more diversity film makers can show in their films, the closer what they make gets to resembling real life.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Annie Hall is light years better than Star Wars and Woody Allen is one of the funniest people ever. Empirical fact.
    I'd be able to take your posts more seriously if you provided logic instead of just a list of awards from Wiki or opinions presented as facts, like this one above.

Just sayin!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    It is interesting how people can have such differing viewpoints. I have never been a fan and have always wondered why Woody has so many fans of his work. I always thought my viewpoint was due to my inability to wrap my mind around the New York City (locale) way of life.
    Is it Woody himself you do not like, which considering his private life it is understandable how someone would be turned off by him or his films, the ones he stars in I mean? I know a few people who LOVE his films, that is the ones he is not a star in. A close friend owns Midnight in Paris and says it is one of his favorite films ever but when I show him Woody's films where he is the star, he doesn't like them because of Woody.
    I think this might be it for me. Like I mentioned earlier on here, I really liked the films he only directed, and not starred in.

My main problem with Annie Hall was Allen himself. The situations he and Diane Keaton found themselves in were ripe for comedy, but everything from his character just came across as pompous and annoying and the film reeked of thinly veiled self glorification.

It was an unremitting barrage of Allen complaining about night life, and complaining about love life, and complaining about crowds in theaters, and complaining about know it alls (ironic), and complaining about people that do drugs, and complaining about parties, and complaining about people's driving skills, and complain complain complain. It just got to be too much. And of course every character in the film is an idiot and not up to his intellectual standards. Then you have grandiose dialogue like "having sex with you is Kafkaesque". Ugh, gimme a break.

I don't want to say that I'll never enjoy a film starring Allen, but at this point I'm leaning toward seeking out films he directed, and not starred in.

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I'd be able to take your posts more seriously if you provided logic instead of just a list of awards from Wiki or opinions presented as facts, like this one above.

Just sayin!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    It is interesting how people can have such differing viewpoints. I have never been a fan and have always wondered why Woody has so many fans of his work. I always thought my viewpoint was due to my inability to wrap my mind around the New York City (locale) way of life.
    Is it Woody himself you do not like, which considering his private life it is understandable how someone would be turned off by him or his films, the ones he stars in I mean? I know a few people who LOVE his films, that is the ones he is not a star in. A close friend owns Midnight in Paris and says it is one of his favorite films ever but when I show him Woody's films where he is the star, he doesn't like them because of Woody.
    I think this might be it for me. Like I mentioned earlier on here, I really liked the films he only directed, and not starred in.

My main problem with Annie Hall was Allen himself. The situations he and Diane Keaton found themselves in were ripe for comedy, but everything from his character just came across as pompous and annoying and the film reeked of thinly veiled self glorification.

It was an unremitting barrage of Allen complaining about night life, and complaining about love life, and complaining about crowds in theaters, and complaining about know it alls (ironic), and complaining about people that do drugs, and complaining about parties, and complaining about people's driving skills, and complain complain complain. It just got to be too much. And of course every character in the film is an idiot and not up to his intellectual standards. Then you have grandiose dialogue like "having sex with you is Kafkaesque". Ugh, gimme a break.

I don't want to say that I'll never enjoy a film starring Allen, but at this point I'm leaning toward seeking out films he directed, and not starred in.
    Thanks for sharing your opinion in a well-thought-out manner instead simply referring to it as "shite"

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by Tommy
    Thanks for sharing your opinion in a well-thought-out manner instead simply referring to it as "shite"*
    Why use 200 words to describe something when 1 is sufficient? LOL!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

In an overall way, I'd say my top five are
    Crimes and Misdemeanors
    Deconstructing Harry
    Hannah & Her Sisters
    Manhattan
    Annie Hall

There are different ways of splitting up his body of work for special consideration, though. For example, I could talk about his early farces on a whole level of appreciation aside from those highest matters of overall theme.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got the DVD's of Manhattan, Sleeper and Match Point here but I just haven't gotten around to watching them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernandito

You described the things I loved about the film. He's narcissistic man with an inferiority complex, so he complains and insults everything, being very wordy and pompous about it, all to mask the fact that he dislikes himself so much. What makes the scene with him waiting in the movie line so great is he gets mad at the guy for pontificating the way he is, when he himself is prone to doing the exact same thing, just in a different way. That's why I love the usage of the Groucho Marx quote, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member", as Woody Allen's character lives and breathes that quote, feeling that anyone would would accept him obviously isn't up to his own standards since he thinks so little of himself. Funny how you can hate what I love and vice versa lol
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't have minded if that was just one (seemingly large) facet of his character, but when it becomes the entire fulcrum around which his character's ethos orbits, it becomes too much.

I did like the Groucho Marx bit too. That's a very um, interesting self assessment.

What Allen should I watch next?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't like or identify with the man personally and I disagree with his philosophy on most points, but I respect doing philosophical comedy at all and I can certainly distance myself enough to acknowledge how clever his writing is.

What Allen should I watch next?
    Bananas. Plain and simple farce, super funny, not off-putting in the later ways; should restore your basic interest.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Noted, thanks!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sleeper is the same. Maybe even better if you don't want to bother much about his personality or cultural references. For someone who doesn't mind him, though,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Manhattan
    is a great film. I think you'd be glad you watched it, Matt.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Match Point is fantastic.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Match Point is fantastic.
    It doesn't say much that he didn't say 15 years before in Crimes and Misdemeanors. It's more clear on the one idea, I guess, perhaps a cleaner package. I just felt that revisiting a point like that after so long shows how he doesn't really progress over his life; he has his outlook, and sophisticated as it may be, that's it, that's who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Originally Posted by Tommy
    Thanks for sharing your opinion in a well-thought-out manner instead simply referring to it as "shite"*
    Why use 200 words to describe something when 1 is sufficient? LOL!
    Because it was nicer.

My top 10 besides Annie Hall would be (no order):

Match Point
    Crimes and Misdemeanors
    Manhattan
    Radio Days
    Broadway Danny Rose
    Stardust Memories
    Deconstructing Harry
    Everyone Says I love You
    Midnight In Paris
    The Purple Rose of Cairo

ask me on another day and it might be slightly different (like right now I'm thinking about Blue Jasmine and Another Woman moving up closer to the top 10)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a huge fan of Mighty Aphrodite. Mira Sorvino definitely deserved that Oscar.

I'm a huge fan of Mighty Aphrodite. Mira Sorvino definitely deserved that Oscar.
    Came close for me just now, It is very a-mus-ing!

haha see what I did there?

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

No. What? LOL
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    No. What? LOL
    In Mighty Aphrodite, Woody uses a chorus of Greek Muses style theater to help tell the story, amusing - muses, get it?

The Trouble with Harry was one of the first Hitchcock films I ever saw, so good!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Hope it makes it on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast