• 21 Jump Street (2012)

4 13.33%
  • Ed Wood (1994)

8 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 2 - Group C

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Comedy Tournament: Round 2 - Group C

For the Round 2 polls, please vote for up to four titles to move on to the next round. You can vote for less, but please make sure you are not voting for more before clicking that Vote button. The poll will be open for one week. The top four titles will be moving on to Round 3.

Beetlejuice (1988)

Watch Trailer

The Naked Gun (1988)

Watch Trailer

Tropic Thunder (2008)

Watch Trailer

The Blues Brothers (1980)

Watch Trailer

Ted (2012)

Watch Trailer

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

Watch Trailer

21 Jump Street (2012)

Watch Trailer

Ed Wood (1994)

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Going with The Naked Gun, Ted, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and Ed Wood.

Country
    Country Flag

Really (pleasantly) surprised to see Ed Wood in fourth place right now, ahead of Fast Times and Ted.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Oh wow, I really didn't even think it had a chance.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted The Naked Gun, Tropic Thunder, and Fast Times at Ridgemont High.

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing on Monday. We've got a three-way tie for fourth with The Blues Brothers, Ted, and Ed Wood, with Fast Times at Ridgemont High trailing close. Really surprised that Tropic Thunder is ahead of all of these.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    This is closing on Monday. We've got a three-way tie for fourth with The Blues Brothers, Ted, and Ed Wood, with Fast Times at Ridgemont High trailing close. Really surprised that Tropic Thunder is ahead of all of these.
    I did not enjoy Ted at all. I didn't find anything funny about it and I didn't see anything funny in it. Whatever people think is so fun there, I don't get it. :yawn
    FTaRH is good, but not quite on the same level as Ed Wood or The Blues Brothers, IMO. I'd grant the edge to BB, personally. I have to be in the right mood for EW, whereas BB is both perpetually entertaining and, of course, filled with memorable moments.
    However, what you have against Tropic Thunder, I don't understand. It's got lots of laughs and, even better, hits the damned movies that it is making fun of directly on target. What's so strange about seeing this terrific comedy receive its due?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought Tropic Thunder was one of the cleverest, funniest movies out of Hollywood in years. I agree that some of the satire is so spot on. Every time I think of the scene where Downey, Jr. is trying to get into the drug-runners' camp with his limited knowledge of Mandarin just cracks me up.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I've only seen Tropic Thunder once, but I didn't like it. I might try it again and see if my opinion has changed.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Tropic Thunder is fantastic. It was received poorly/averagely in the beginning but, like EVERY film Stiller directs, becomes an cult classic years later. People HATED Zoolander when it came out, now everyone seems to love it.

I can't think of another comedy that has such a diverse and large cast, where every single person, no matter how little screen time they get, manages to get a moment to shine. Such a great film. "Senn Penn, I Am Sam, 2001...he went full retard. Went home empty handed."

Missed this poll entirely some how, voted:
    The Naked Gun, Tropic Thunder, Ted, Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    Ted

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nothing wrong with Ted. Compared with 90% of the comedies in the last decade it's an absolute gem lol

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nothing wrong with Ted. Compared with 90% of the comedies in the last decade it's an absolute gem lol
    Maybe not so bad compared with Movie 43, (Peter Farrelly, 2013) for a different example, but what does that have to do with this thread? How about compared with what's here? Is there a law somewhere that any comedy in the last decade be measured first?

It's a Teddy Bear drinking a beer. Not very funny. I watched it. That's the only joke.

And what do you mean "Nothing wrong" with it?

Mark Wahlberg never stopped acting like a criminal
    Mark Wahlberg -- I Want a Clean Record So I Can Handle Guns
    Mark Wahlberg Shouldn't Be Pardoned for 1988 Assaults, Says Prosecutor
    1 of Mark Wahlberg's victims says he shouldn't be pardoned
    Mark Wahlberg doesn't deserve pardon
    Don't pardon Mark Wahlberg

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I really don't see what Whalberg's past has to do with Ted...I guess that means The Pianist and Midnight In Paris have something wrong with them too...

Evidently you would rather watch Grown Ups, Grown Ups 2, Paul Blart, Hangover 2, Hangover 3, Epic Movie, Disaster movie, Scary Movie 4, Chuck and Larry, Good Luck Chuck, Jack and Jill...I could go on and on...than Ted.

There are a lot more jokes than Ted drinking beer..if anything he smokes way more pot than drinks beer lol. If there is anyone 'one joke' in Ted, it's how a Teddy Bear can say/do things and get away with it, while a human being wouldn't be able to.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Evidently you would rather watch Grown Ups, Grown Ups 2, Paul Blart, Hangover 2, Hangover 3, Epic Movie, Disaster movie, Scary Movie 4, Chuck and Larry, Good Luck Chuck, Jack and Jill...I could go on and on...than Ted.
    That's not logical. I asked you if there is a law somewhere that any comedy in the last decade must be measured first. Could I not rather than Ted and also rather than everything else you just listed watch other movies altogether? How about compared with what's here? What does any of that have to do with this thread? How does any of it apply to reasoning for voting in favor of that now?

There are a lot more jokes than Ted drinking beer..if anything he smokes way more pot than drinks beer lol. If there is anyone 'one joke' in Ted, it's how a Teddy Bear can say/do things and get away with it, while a human being wouldn't be able to.
    That's not relevant. It doesn't really matter what the variations on the one joke are if it's still all one and it's still not very funny.

I really don't see what Whalberg's past has to do with Ted...I guess that means The Pianist and Midnight In Paris have something wrong with them too...
    Care to elaborate?

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following four titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Beetlejuice (1988) 80.00%
    2. The Naked Gun (1988) 56.67%
    3. Tropic Thunder (2008) 46.67%
    4. The Blues Brothers (1980) 36.67%

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. Ted (2012) 33.33%
    2. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982) 30.00%
    3. Ed Wood (1994) 26.67%
    4. 21 Jump Street (2012) 13.33%

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Beetlejuice is going to be a monster in the play offs.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    I assume he's referring to the controversies surrounding Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, respectively.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    I assume he's referring to the controversies surrounding Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, respectively.
    I assumed as well, although the director of Ted, so far as I know, only has the trouble of being a terrible director and having just awful taste in actors, so that that makes a rather incomplete argument.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Mark Wahlberg is not a bad actor.

He was great in The Departed and I loved him in Three Kings. He was also good in Boogie Nights, Four Brothers and The Fighter. As far as comedy, I really enjoyed him in The Other Guys and I thought he was really funny in a small role in Date Night.

I get why he rubs some people the wrong way.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Other Guys was also terrible, or he was in it at least. I may have gotten carried away, but he can't do comedy, or not hardly.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That's not logical. I asked you if there is a law somewhere that any comedy in the last decade must be measured first. Could I not rather than Ted and also rather than everything else you just listed watch other movies altogether? How about compared with what's here? What does any of that have to do with this thread? How does any of it apply to reasoning for voting in favor of that now?
    About as much relevance to this thread as Movie 43. I think most comedies these days suck. We're lucky to get one great one a year. Ted was one of the few good comedies of it's entire year, with Ruby Sparks and This Is 40 being the only other two I liked. And in terms of the rest of these films, I'm not a big Beetlejuice or Blue's Brothers fan, I'm not a Jump Street fan either, and I haven't yet watched Ed Wood. So I picked the only 4 movies I really enjoyed, with Ted being one of them. That isn't to say I'm going to vote for it in later rounds. I haven't voted for every film I like in this tournament. Ted's a silly and funny film and like I said, there's nothing wrong with that. You see one joke, while I see more than that. That's where this magical word called 'subjection' comes in.

I assumed as well, although the director of Ted, so far as I know, only has the trouble of being a terrible director and having just awful taste in actors, so that that makes a rather incomplete argument.
    What's wrong with Giovanni Ribisi and Mila Kunis? Kunis has come a long way from That 70's Show, which can be seen in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Black Swan. And I love Ribisi.

The Other Guys was also terrible, or he was in it at least. I may have gotten carried away, but he can't do comedy, or not hardly.
    The Other Guys isn't terrible at all. It's not stellar but it's an above average comedy, which are rare these days. And I completely disagree he can't do comedy as in several movies he's the funniest part of it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant
    Mark Wahlberg is not a bad actor.

He was great in The Departed and I loved him in Three Kings. He was also good in Boogie Nights, Four Brothers and The Fighter. As far as comedy, I really enjoyed him in The Other Guys and I thought he was really funny in a small role in Date Night.

I get why he rubs some people the wrong way.
    Yeah, his part in Date Night was the only part I really enjoyed in the movie. He's an actor who has really impressed me. I mean, he was awesome in Fear back in 1996. I've enjoyed his work in plenty of movies like the ones you mentioned along with his hilarious role in I Heart Huckabees.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you. Ted was way funnier than those other crappy movies you listed.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

About as much relevance to this thread as Movie 43.
    Seth MacFarlane was in it.

What's wrong with Giovanni Ribisi and Mila Kunis?
    I didn't mean to imply that. Cry your pardon.

The Other Guys isn't terrible at all. It's not stellar but it's an above average comedy, which are rare these days.
    It's not even above the average these days, much less the average of all comedy ever filmed. And I still don't see how a general quality decline gives newer films that don't stink quite so much as many newer films do more worth than older films that are still good.

And in terms of the rest of these films, I'm not a big Beetlejuice or Blue's Brothers fan, I'm not a Jump Street fan either, and I haven't yet watched Ed Wood. So I picked the only 4 movies I really enjoyed, with Ted being one of them.
    You are more of a fan for personal reasons, I guess? That's cool, if so, but can you appreciate that those are better movies?

You see one joke, while I see more than that. That's where this magical word called 'subjection' comes in.
    "Subjection" is a synonym of "subjugation." What you describe sounds more like the definition of "subjectivity." If you mean just that we ought to agree to disagree, well, this post actually required no further comment:
    Ted

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

And in terms of the rest of these films, I'm not a big Beetlejuice or Blue's Brothers fan, I'm not a Jump Street fan either, and I haven't yet watched Ed Wood. So I picked the only 4 movies I really enjoyed, with Ted being one of them.
    You are more of a fan for personal reasons, I guess? That's cool, if so, but can you appreciate that those are better movies?
    No, it just made me laugh. I can't appreciate a movie is better if I'm not fond of it. I can judge a movie for what it's trying to do, and for what Ted was trying to do, it did it well. If it's not your cup of tea, it's not your cup of tea.

You see one joke, while I see more than that. That's where this magical word called 'subjection' comes in.
    "Subjection" is a synonym of "subjugation." What you describe sounds more like the definition of "subjectivity." [/quote]

Both are derivative of the word 'subject', which has various forms and definitions. I meant subjective but, autocorrect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast