• Brazil (1985)

7 25.00%
  • Mister Roberts (1955)

7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group Q

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why is Major League in the lead?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

because

WIIIIIIIILD THAAAAAAAAAAANG
    YOU MAKE MY HEART S(AAAAAAAAAA)NG

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I've actually never seen This Is Spinal Tap!
    WTF!? I find that.... Incomprehensible!!!!

I know, right? I've always meant to watch it. I like Reiner as a director, and I can quote many of the famous lines from it. It's from a genre I really really like, so there's no excuse other than "haven't gotten around to it."
    I suspect it will make it through, and perhaps I will have a chance to watch it before the next votes are due.

As for Major League, I'm a huge baseball fan and this one tickles my funny bone more than most. A 5-star comedy to be sure. I can see how a person who doesn't like or follow baseball might not pick up on some of the little things, but there should be enough gags and funny situations to produce a few laughs.

I watched Withnail and I last year after DoctorDodge just wouldn't shut up about it. I did find it funny, and it got a vote from me!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

"NOW HEAR THIS" PLEASE WATCH.....

BEFORE YOU VOTE.
    Directed by John Ford, Mervyn Leroy & Joshua Logan.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Spinal Tap is THE quotable comedy dude.

-
    Nigel Tufnel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like — I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...
    Marty DiBergi: What do you call this?
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump."
    -

Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
    Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
    Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you make ten a little louder, make that the top number and make that a little louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: [pauses] These go to eleven.
    -

"There's something about this that's so black, it's like how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."
    Oh yeah, I'm not disputing the greatness of Spinal Tap in terms of quotability. It's definitely a classic. It's one of the only films that's up there with W&I for us Essex folk.

But just to remind ya of how fantastic Withnail & I is:

"You got soup? Why didn't I get any soup?" "Coffee."

"We want the finest wines available to humanity! We want them here, and we want them now!"

"I fuck arses? Who fucks arses?...Maybe he fucks arses!"

And my personal favourite:
    "Jesus Christ! Why have you drugged their onions?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Also, the entire Stonehenge bit is just too much.

"I think the problem may have been that there was a Stonehenge monument on the stage in danger of being crushed by a dwarf."
    Stonehenge is fucking legendary! "I don't see this as a big problem." "No, no, if it were a big problem, we wouldn't be having this conversation!"

Vote for the 2 greatest quotable films of all-time, guys. Vote for Spinal Tap and Withnail & I.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Spinal Tap and Withnail & I.
    Absolute cult classics, both.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil is a litttle more sanitized than Stir Crazy ten years earlier. I guess one might argue that it's more evolved. I'm not sure I like it better, though.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Why is Major League in the lead?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It really should be SNEHNE, absolutely hysterical:

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to see Spinal Tap gaining steam, but it should be first dammit!

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure I see anything at all (funny or otherwise) in that Major League clip

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, of course!! You're from, New Jersey!!! The only funny things are across the river. You should know that. Why are there so many bridges in, Jersey? Because of all the Trolls!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Right, cause those hacks Wilder and Pryor don't hold a candle to the comic genius of Mr. Sheen.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I like Major League, but it's not hilarious.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I was just posting it for the line he says.

Honestly, Bob Uecker is probably the funniest guy in the movie.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

It may be amusing but it's nowhere near the best among this group.

It is for me. The only other one I voted for in this group was See No Evil, Hear No Evil. I know of This is Spinal Tap and The Royal Tenenbaums but have never watched them.

The others I’ve never even heard of. That doesn't bode well for them because so far, out of the 53 movies in this tourney that I’ve never heard of, only 4 have moved on

Country
    Country Flag

Time to get on that Netflix, On-Demand, or what have you

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    out of the 53 movies in this tourney that I've never heard of, only 4 have moved on
    Well isn't that something?

This is an excellent group. Some are just great films, some will definitely just make you laugh. Do try to watch more.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    out of the 53 movies in this tourney that I've never heard of, only 4 have moved on
    Well isn't that something?

This is an excellent group. Some are just great films, some will definitely just make you laugh. Do try to watch more.
    I agree it certainly is something. I take it to mean that my taste in comedic movies lines up pretty well with a greater number of people here than I previously thought. I think there is a vocal minority that was skewing that perception. Of the 75 or so that I’ve actually seen and enjoyed, only 6 have been eliminated so far and most of the rest look like they will move on as well.

There are a handful of movies in here that I want to see eventually but only one or two that I’d never heard of. Most of the rest I doubt I’ll ever get to.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Only 5 votes for Withnail & I? We definitely need more, guys.

I must have some votes...I demand to have some votes!!!

- Melike

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Yeehaw

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

We again have a three-way tie for last place between The Music Box, Withnail and I, and Brazil so I really hope we can break it and avoid the need for a tiebreaker.

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing on Monday morning, so we need to break that tie. Need more votes!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

This is closing on Monday morning, so we need to break that tie. Need more votes!
    No help here. I haven't voted yet, but The Music Box, Withnail and I, and Brazil are all among the ones that I must check or else feel bad about myself.

Perhaps that quality is just why they are tied for last place.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast