• Time Bandits (1981)

10 35.71%
  • The Blues Brothers (1980)

14 50.00%
  • About a Boy (2002)

3 10.71%
  • Meet the Parents (2000)

13 46.43%
  • Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery (1997)

19 67.86%
  • The Apartment (1960)

8 28.57%
  • Real Life (1979)

2 7.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group N

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    This is a sad day for Canada, and therefore, a sad day for the rest of the world.
    I wish The Apartment had made in through too but why is it a sad day for Canada when Jim Carey (Bruce Almighty), Dan Akyroyd (The Blues Brothers), Donald Sutherland (MASH) and Mike Myers (Austin Powers) are all Canadians going through to the next round?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I was just quoting South Park haha. The timing is rather ironic now that you bring that up!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Apartment definitely should have made it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The Apartment definitely should have made it.
    Ahh, sorry, but "Nope"!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why not?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Probably because it's a good film.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Why not?
    Probably because it's a good film.

Sorry, but I just did not find it worthy of this competition. Not a bad film, just not up to what I consider the standards for a "Best Comedy" competition. To each his own, right? Sorry to disappoint, Matts.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    To each his own, right?
    You're entitled to your own opinion even if its reasons aren't spelled out in words. Of course; I believe that everybody is. I think they were just hoping you could give more information because you commented like you did. It's like, why even have this contest if there is no way to understand? Just to find friends who by chance share some of your tastes? If the goal is to find which comedies are most popular, only the most insensitive mind would then never wonder what makes them so popular. Personally, I'm just sorry it came down to a faceoff with Time Bandits. Usually, the hard choices come later, and it's not so tough in the first round to pick a few to get rid off. Like Four Rooms; even though I gave it a kind of sympathy vote, (everyone who likes dark comedy should watch it at least once) I'm not as perplexed to see it fail this early as with The Apartment. Why not? Because Four Rooms is basically four jokes. Some comedy is like that: first time you hear it, it is funny; second time, you're just like "I already heard it." Sure I could watch FR again just for the sardonically dark atmosphere, for Roth's antics, and QT's hustling monologue, but that still doesn't add up to best comedy material. I'm not sure what else here should have been out instead. Bruce Almighty, I guess. It's a pretty strong group. That, too, does have a lot going on in it that makes it unique, though. A bit run-of-the-mill nonetheless, but far better than the sequel Evan Almighty. I kind of wish that there was some better way of arranging initial groupings without the obvious risk of making things even more unfair.

Time Bandits deserves every vote it got -- it's a fantasy adventure on one level, but also brilliant satire. That form of comedy has roots with the bards of ancient Celtic culture. Those people so prized their honor and reputation that there was a whole profession in writing songs about how great a king or warrior was and writing songs about everything that was wrong with his enemies. So comedy can have a point, and that is still fine comedy; long ago having fun was joined by making fun. I suppose you all realize that the very title "time bandits" is a big pun. Efficiency experts use that term for any habit or activity that doesn't contribute to productivity. I imagine the whole film was inspired by the rather silly thought of literal bandits traveling time after some business meeting. But it is quite appropriate to the film's overall message. It's about a boy in a typical British suburb of the early 1980s who is not allowed to imagine fantastic adventures. His parents spend all their time after work talking about the neighbors and the new junk they have bought and watching television game shows. It turns out that the modern technology is the obsession of the devil himself in this movie, and when he offers the same game show prize to the time bandits, they show that their shortsighted greed is exactly like that of the materialistic British suburbanites. All of that social criticism was a splendid evolution towards Gilliam's next film, Brazil, and meanwhile, very funny!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry, but I just did not find it worthy of this competition. Not a bad film, just not up to what I consider the standards for a "Best Comedy" competition. To each his own, right? Sorry to disappoint, Matts.
    I don't see how being one of the very few comedies to win Best Picture means it's not up to the standards of Best Comedy. If Bruce Almighty is up the standards, then The Apartment is definitely up to the standards, as is Annie Hall, All About Eve, American Beauty, Shakespeare In Love and Driving Miss Daisy.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

What's crazy about The Apartment is that Billy Wilder won an Oscar for directing, beating out Alfred Hitchcock for Psycho!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see how being one of the very few comedies to win Best Picture means it's not up to the standards of Best Comedy. If Bruce Almighty is up the standards, then The Apartment is definitely up to the standards, as is Annie Hall, All About Eve, American Beauty, Shakespeare In Love and Driving Miss Daisy.
    My apologies, but I did not particularly like it. Is my opinion not enough for you folks?

I'm sure a lot of folks disagreed with "No Country for old men" winning an Oscar, though I enjoyed the movie.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    What's crazy about The Apartment is that Billy Wilder won an Oscar for directing, beating out Alfred Hitchcock for Psycho!
    Yes, that is indeed crazy.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2