19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Biloxi Blues (1988)

8 42.11%
  • Sullivan's Travels (1941)

6 31.58%
  • The Court Jester (1955)

5 26.32%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group H (Tiebreaker)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group H (Tiebreaker)

For the tiebreaker poll, please vote for one title to move on to the next round. The poll will be open for four days.

Biloxi Blues (1988)

Watch Trailer

Sullivan's Travels (1941)

Watch Trailer

The Court Jester (1955)

Watch Trailer

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Biloxi Blues doesn't even beat Brighton Beach Memoirs; if you want Neil Simon, go vote for The Sunshine Boys!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Haven't watched any of these.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot vote having seen none of these...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Sullivan's Travels, obviously.

Country
    Country Flag

How is Biloxi Blues ahead of either of the other two?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Preston Sturges was a notable early Hollywood writer-director success for a while. His movies pushed and bent conventions at the time. Some now consider Sullivan's Travels his best film, although you ought certainly to watch some of the others as well if you want to understand his contribution to the art. We already discussed this movie and an expositional clip on the first thread this tie came out of to some extent.
    BCT: Group H

Danny Kaye had a long, illustrious career on stage, radio, television, and in film. I don't really think The Court Jester is his best movie, but it's hard to pick a single work, partly because he was so multi-talented. It's one decent, fun musical comedy from a performer with broad range.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ9f2rnjB84

The Eugene Trilogy refers to three comedy plays written by Neil Simon, a "quasi-autobiographical" account of his own early life and career, eventually adapted into three films. Brighton Beach Memoirs tells the story of the adolescence of Eugene Morris Jerome in New York City, played on screen by Johnathan Silverman. Matthew Broderick plays Eugene in Biloxi Blues, which is about his time spent in basic training in Biloxi, Mississippi during World War II: it is the only installment in which he is not the central character, but instead witness to the struggle for power of another soldier, the gentle, intelligent Arnold Epstein, (played by Corey Parker) with middle-aged, hard-drinking platoon leader Sergeant Merwin J. Toomey (Christopher Walken.) In Broadway Bound, Eugene (played by Corey Parker) and his older brother Stanley (played by Johnathan Silverman) work together toward being comedy writers for the radio, and, eventually, television.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_trilogy

I don't really expect you guys will get through all of that in the next few days, but these are all pretty good, for the record.

Country
    Country Flag

Just 12 votes so far. Come on peeps, more votes for Sullivan!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

Sullivan's Travels, obviously.
    ok
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

And so Sullivan's Travels pulls a bit ahead, sweet

Country
    Country Flag

One day to go and there's a tie between the first two. Need more votes here, people!

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, we need 3 more. For The Court Jester, the only Danny Kaye movie we have!

Country
    Country Flag

Biloxi Blues is pulling ahead

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Biloxi Blues is pulling ahead
    Christopher Walken was amazing in that film!! It's definitely one of his finest roles.

Country
    Country Flag

But it's nowhere near Sullivan's Travels, which is probably Sturges's best.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the clearest case yet of modernity bias. Biloxi Blues, too, is only a comedy because of witty dialogue and uplifting themes, (plus a remaining touch of Philip Roth style crudity for shock value)
    Spoiler:
    (Or as Sullivan puts it, "Yes, with a little sex in it.")

and what it has that other uplifting films with greater wit do not is the polished look that comes with an established and experienced Mike Nichols directing. People aren't thinking about balancing the process here or judging each project by what was created in its own context, they're just responding to the surface factors. Well, at least there's still a chance one of Sturges's funnier will advance.

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. Biloxi Blues moves on to the next round, while Sullivan's Travels and The Court Jester are eliminated.

+ Reply to Thread