Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Meet the Fockers (2004)

13 54.17%
  • This Is the End (2013)

11 45.83%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group E (Tiebreaker)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We're at 19 votes. The most so far we've had was 32, so this is far from over.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

How is this EVEN tied at 10? Feet The Fockers was terrible. This Is The End is funny, with good comedic performances all without the uniqueness of seeing hollywood celebrities play themselves while also making fun of their own image. This Is The End is great. Meet The Fockers is not.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing tomorrow and we're tied at 11. This is closer than I thought it would ever be. Need more votes to break the tie!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by Still Servant
    If you want to throw numbers out there then look no further than Rotten Tomatoes. Meet the Fockers has a 38% fresh rating and End has 83%. You can cherry pick all the bad reviews you want, but facts are facts. More critics enjoyed End over Fockers. Actually, End is higher rated among audiences as well.
    I haven't thrown any numbers into this discussion. However if you want to include Rotten Tomatoes into the equation, let's get to it! Everyone knows the ratings on that site are an absolute joke. Rotten Tomatoes scores the movie Rogue with a 100% "Fresh" rating (best movie ever? Really???) whilst, Out of Africa a movie that won 7 Academy Awards including Best Film and Best Director and was nominated for a further 4, gets a "Rotten" rating of 53%!!! Like seriously??? WTF!!!

If you are going to solely rely on skewed binary for you argument and present them as "facts", be aware that your "facts" are somewhat shaky...

Also, I'm not sure it makes sense to reference user reviews on IMDB. Have you been on an IMDB message board in the last 10 years? In order to take those reviews seriously, I would have to take into account how much the reviewers know about the actors in the movie.
    I like the way you attack the IMDB message boards and validity of the reviews posted, when Rotten Tomatoes itself is guilty of far worse. When reviews were posted on Rotten Tomatoes for the movie,The Dark Knight Rises - so many users posted hateful remarks and even death threats on the comments feature, that the entire message board for the site had to be temporarily disabled after the sheer amount of hateful rhetoric got out of hand.

It doesn't matter what I say, Fockers is going to win. It will quickly get destroyed in the next round. I haven't seen every film in the tournament, but of the ones I have seen, Fockers is the worst.
    Let's be clear on something. I am not voting for Meet The Fockers as much as I am voting against TITE! Like I said in a previous post, Meet The Fockers certainly has some flaws, but next to TITE it's an absolute masterpiece!!!

If you check the nominations thread, you will see that I did not nominate Meet The Fockers for this tournament. I nominated Meet The Parents. I personally do not care if Meet The Fockers gets destroyed in the next round, I just think it's the more deserving film to go through when being placed in a tiebreaker with TITE.

Country
    Country Flag

Why do you so adamantly dislike TITE?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Why are any of you even looking at RT or IMDB? Shouldn't we be just listening to each other in this friendly competition?

Seriously. I just checked the ratings for Real Life and Lost in America which are being virtually ignored here despite my comments and videos posted. RL is at 88% and LiA is at 96%.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Do we have a tiebreaker in place for the, er... tiebreaker?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Why are any of you even looking at RT or IMDB? Shouldn't we be just listening to each other in this friendly competition?

Seriously. I just checked the ratings for Real Life and Lost in America which are being virtually ignored here despite my comments and videos posted. RL is at 88% and LiA is at 96%.
    As I posted in my comments above, the percentages on these sites are worthless and mean nothing. Unfortunately, so many people now that think that scores posted on sites such as Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are a replacement for actual critical assessment.

Country
    Country Flag

RT and MC percentages are an average of critic scores, not random numbers.

As far as ties in a tiebreaker, I think before in these situations I asked Jerome to weigh in, I don't think he's been participating.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I would question the veracity of "critic scores" on these sites when Rogue is effectively rated as the best film ever made at 100% and films like Out of Africa are rated as being shit with a score of only 53%!!

You cannot honestly tell me that you think Rogue is the best film ever made, whilst the movie with 7 Academy Awards including Best Film and Best Director is utter shit. It's total bullshit and I don't know why these scores are even given the time of day...

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Nope nope nope

RT percentages are a very blunt object. The only thing it calculates is whether a critic 'Liked' or 'Disliked' a movie. So you can have critic absolutely rave about a film, give it a 10/10 and an A plus, and then you can have another critic rate that very same film with a "Meh... it was an okay movie, I guess... 6/10" RT will count both of those as Likes, increasing the percentage. Very broad stroke.

There's a small indicator next to the percentage that averages out the numerical scores attributed. I've seen films with an 85%, BUT the average score is something like 6.5/10 or whatever.

Country
    Country Flag

Re: Rogue, you have to take into account the critics, not just the naked number. The critics RT uses here are all from various b-movie sources. Of course they'll love trash. There's also a Top Critics option. There is no score.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

In the past, ultimate ties have been broken by counting comments, to encourage people to also participate in articulating their reasons, but I'm not sure that's so wise if no one can be actually reasonable on this one.

It does seem that more than one person here has adamantly dislike for TitE. And MtF appears to have its share of those, too.

As for the rating sites debate, my view is that they can be interesting to look at and into, but they're definitely not the most interesting way to defend one's personal opinions.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    If you want to throw numbers out there then look no further than Rotten Tomatoes. Meet the Fockers has a 38% fresh rating and End has 83%. You can cherry pick all the bad reviews you want, but facts are facts. More critics enjoyed End over Fockers. Actually, End is higher rated among audiences as well.
    I haven't thrown any numbers into this discussion. However if you want to include Rotten Tomatoes into the equation, let's get to it! Everyone knows the ratings on that site are an absolute joke. Rotten Tomatoes scores the movie Rogue with a 100% "Fresh" rating (best movie ever? Really???) whilst, Out of Africa a movie that won 7 Academy Awards including Best Film and Best Director and was nominated for a further 4, gets a "Rotten" rating of 53%!!! Like seriously??? WTF!!!

If you are going to solely rely on skewed binary for you argument and present them as "facts", be aware that your "facts" are somewhat shaky...

Also, I'm not sure it makes sense to reference user reviews on IMDB. Have you been on an IMDB message board in the last 10 years? In order to take those reviews seriously, I would have to take into account how much the reviewers know about the actors in the movie.
    I like the way you attack the IMDB message boards and validity of the reviews posted, when Rotten Tomatoes itself is guilty of far worse. When reviews were posted on Rotten Tomatoes for the movie,The Dark Knight Rises - so many users posted hateful remarks and even death threats on the comments feature, that the entire message board for the site had to be temporarily disabled after the sheer amount of hateful rhetoric got out of hand.

It doesn't matter what I say, Fockers is going to win. It will quickly get destroyed in the next round. I haven't seen every film in the tournament, but of the ones I have seen, Fockers is the worst.
    Let's be clear on something. I am not voting for Meet The Fockers as much as I am voting against TITE! Like I said in a previous post, Meet The Fockers certainly has some flaws, but next to TITE it's an absolute masterpiece!!!

If you check the nominations thread, you will see that I did not nominate Meet The Fockers for this tournament. I nominated Meet The Parents. I personally do not care if Meet The Fockers gets destroyed in the next round, I just think it's the more deserving film to go through when being placed in a tiebreaker with TITE.
    We're not talking about Out of Africa or anything else. We are talking about Fockers and End. I agree that RT percentages are flawed in many ways, especially with older films. These two films are recent and taking the critics scores and audiences scores into account help tell the story. And the story is that on most sites End is the preferred film of the two when it comes to critics and audiences alike.

All I'm saying is you can't take a few bad reviews from users and use that as the end all be all. You don't think there are equally poor reviews on IMDB about Fockers? I can assure you there are.

As for the Dark Knight incident, that was regarding one critic. His name is Armond White (actually, that's where I got my name from on Rotten Tomatoes - Armond White Sucks) he was a troll critic that always gave rotten ratings to films that were doing really well. A bunch of crazy fanboys took it too far and the rest is history.

In the end, everybody has their way of voting, but I personally would not vote for a film just so it can get past a film I hate. I would only vote for a film over another film because I prefer it. Why cost people the chance to watch a film they enjoy move on just because you have a passionate distaste for it? That's just me though.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

In the end, everybody has their way of voting, but I personally would not vote for a film just so it can get past a film I hate. I would only vote for a film over another film because I prefer it. Why cost people the chance to watch a film they enjoy move on just because you have a passionate distaste for it? That's just me though.
    Meet The Fockers has some flaws granted, but it does actually have some funny scenes too and a fine stellar cast to boot. Certainly not the greatest comedy film ever made, but at least it was enjoyable.

TITE has no laughs, a poor script, bad acting and shoddy directing. It has no redeemable features whatsoever and was 106 minutes of my life I will never get back.

Between the two, I DO prefer Meet The Fockers!

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Do we have a tiebreaker in place for the, er... tiebreaker?
    That would be me, as I have not voted yet. Awe the power to crush one, while allowing the other to live on. Mwuaahh hahahaha. *rubs hands together with maniacle malfeasance*
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

If This is the End is on Netflix, I will try to watch it tonight in order to cast my vote, propelling one onto future ballots and casting the other onto the pile of disgrace.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

TITE has no laughs, a poor script, bad acting and shoddy directing. It has no redeemable features whatsoever and was 106 minutes of my life I will never get back.
    It has plenty of laughs, a very clever script, solid acting (especially Baruchel and Hill) and it's competently directed by Rogen and Goldberg. All your points are moot, though I will agree you will never get those 106 minutes back...you wouldn't get them back if you'd have watched the greatest film of all time either, since time slips through our fingers like sands through the hourglass.

These are the five critic reviews for This Is The End at the top of the list on IMBD

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/this-is-the-end-2013
    http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_...dentifier=2629
    http://www.examiner.com/review/this-...me-the-rapture
    http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-06-...demption-cold/
    http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/r...e-end-20130612

4/5 very positive reviews.

Here are the top five reviews listed on IMBD for Meet The Fockers (a lot of the links are broken now, so the top five that work)

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/meet-the-fockers-2004
    http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_...identifier=109
    http://www.imdb.com/reviews/0290002
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2005/01/1...5_review.shtml
    http://www.sfgate.com/movies/article...ts-2662387.php

5 reviews, all in the end stating Meet The Fockers is slightly better than average or just average.

Meet The Fockers has nothing on This Is The End. Nothing. I don't know anyone who didn't enjoy This Is The End while I know plenty who didn't like Meet The Fockers at all. This should be a clear cut case...an average, unnecessary sequel or a daring film full of actors who have to make their own names look bad? I'll take the later. Any day.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    If This is the End is on Netflix, I will try to watch it tonight in order to cast my vote, propelling one onto future ballots and casting the other onto the pile of disgrace.
    It's not. For sale but not rent at On Demand and the same at Amazon Instant. Just how maniacal is your malfeasance? I know I don't want to pay $12 to have to watch a movie with a clip like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    It's not. For sale but not rent at On Demand and the same at Amazon Instant. Just how maniacal is your malfeasance? I know I don't want to pay $12 to have to watch a movie with a clip like this
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Yeah, for god's sake don't waste paying $12 to watch that garbage, just watch the clip that's been posted here instead. It's a 2 minute tirade about jacking off and 'cumming all over the place'. Like I said before, no laughs and shit acting!

I think watching that scene does a far better job of demonstrating how truly shit this film really is, than anything I can possibly say in words...

In fact, has anybody got any more clips of TITE that they can post here?

Country
    Country Flag

If you generally don't find that group of actors funny, you won't like TITE. I've been a fan of theirs since Freaks and Geeks, so all these guys and others from their posse crack me up no matter what.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That clip is funny and so is this.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, hilarious. I nearly pissed myself laughing with that one. Rape is always subject matter for comedy gold.

Keep 'em coming guys. These clips are just getting better and better! LOL!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Clearly, your limitations are showing.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    As for the rating sites debate, my view is that they can be interesting to look at and into, but they're definitely not the most interesting way to defend one's personal opinions.
    Yup.

I'm fine with them as supplemental information, but I dislike debates that boil down to "XYZ has an 70% rating and yours has a 65%, so clearly I'm right." I'm much more interested in personal interpretation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast