Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Please choose up to six

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clue (1985)

15 53.57%
  • The Sunshine Boys (1975)

2 7.14%
  • Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948 )

10 35.71%
  • I Love You, Man (2009)

4 14.29%
  • The Ref (1994)

7 25.00%
  • Election (1999)

4 14.29%
  • Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990)

6 21.43%
  • The Trouble with Harry (1955)

7 25.00%
  • The Nutty Professor (1996)

5 17.86%
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)

21 75.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group L

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Vote up to 6 times and done. No changing or adding votes.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Causing chaos with everyone changing their votes at the last minute is not a good thing. You chose the films you wanted. Nobody forced you to choose only four.

But let's be clear. This is not a simple case of changing your mind when the outcome of the poll is still up in the air, it's a blatant attempt to alter the final outcome at the last minute, just like you did with Clueless in Poll F.

As for learning to be mature, I suggest you take your own advice. Continuously trying to make random changes to the rules at the last minute to suit yourself is not an act of maturity. It's something I would expect from a 9 year old, that's losing at a board game.

Grow up and take some responsibility on how you vote.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Causing chaos with everyone changing their votes at the last minute is not a good thing. You chose the films you wanted. Nobody forced you to choose only four.

But let's be clear. This is not a simple case of changing your mind when the outcome of the poll is still up in the air, it's a blatant attempt to alter the final outcome at the last minute, just like you did with Clueless in Poll F.

As for learning to be mature, I suggest you take your own advice. Continuously trying to make random changes to the rules at the last minute to suit yourself is not an act of maturity. It's something I would expect from a 9 year old, that's losing at a board game.

Grow up and take some responsibility on how you vote.
    I am trying to alter the outcome no more or less than any voter does. Let me rephrase: we cannot mature if we can't change. There's already a degree of chaos. These ten movies were put together at random. If you make the rules a little tighter, that doesn't mean that nobody can manipulate them. I think you know that. The only way democracy can work is if we respect each other's good intentions, actually and not just in token.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Pablo - I only voted for 4, can you add on a vote for ILYM as well? Thanks.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    ]Gremlins 2: The New Batch[/I] and The Nutty Professor!!!
    So...you think this is the end isn't funny due to some ejaculation jokes but you vote for Nutty Professor which is a barrage of fat and fart jokes. That, that makes a lot of sense lol.
    Comedy is all about the delivery and comic timing.

Eddie Murphy has the skill to actually make people laugh. Seth Rogan and Danny McBride are just a pair of twats.
    Tower Heist. Nobody's perfect.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Comedy is all about the delivery and comic timing.

Eddie Murphy has the skill to actually make people laugh. Seth Rogan and Danny McBride are just a pair of twats.
    I would think Seth Rogen's does a good enough job of making people laugh or nobody would pay to see him in comedies. Seeing him in stuff like Funny People and 50/50 displays he's got more talent than people give him credit for. McBride is also a very effective actor. His small role in All The Real Girls was my favourite part of that film and he's also very good in Up In The Air...Eastbound and Down is also a given.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What a surprise, you're trying to fuck about with the voting process again! Like WTF dude!!! Seriously???

You have cast your votes and you should stick to them. It's not fair to everyone else if you get to add films to those you have already selected. You chose to only vote for four films, knowing that you could actually vote for six if you wished. You chose to cast four and you should stick to those four.

If you do this, it will cause chaos to the whole voting system with people saying that they want to add films to their selection or complaining that a film has already been eliminated and they didn't know that they could add films at a later date etc...

Just leave the voting as it is! If you are unsure about how many votes to cast then don't jump in with voting straight away. It's as simple as that.
    As much as I think T-Dogz is pretty much an idiot with an incomprehensible taste in movies, I have to agree with this 100%. Make your vote and own it.

I, myself, always vote without seeing how others have voted before me. I vote what I like, NOT based on how others may have voted. I could give a rat's ass how other people vote--my opinion is mine alone.

In all these various contests and votes, I believe I only made one "protest" vote, base on some of the aforementioned idiocy. But that was a first round exception. I don't plan on doing that again.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

How can you assert that feelings and first impressions matter more to a contest than discussion and thought and not expect that contest to inordinately favor movies designed to provoke feeling and first impressions over movies designed to provoke thought and discussion? It's not that I suddenly fail to follow that standard of impulse because I so dislike particular movies; it's that I fail to care for those very movies because I do not in general happen to believe in impulsive standards anyway.

So which causes a more unfair bias? Bias toward a critical approach or bias against one?

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    As much as I think T-Dogz is pretty much an idiot with an incomprehensible taste in movies, I have to agree with this 100%. Make your vote and own it.

I, myself, always vote without seeing how others have voted before me. I vote what I like, NOT based on how others may have voted. I could give a rat's ass how other people vote--my opinion is mine alone.

In all these various contests and votes, I believe I only made one "protest" vote, base on some of the aforementioned idiocy. But that was a first round exception. I don't plan on doing that again.
    If you are referring to the tiebreaker between TITE and Fockers, you made your "protest" vote in protest of my "protest" vote. LOL!

Fockers is poor, but when compared to TITE it's a bloody masterpiece!! Go back to the tiebreaker thread and read through all the comments. You're basing my taste in movies on a protest vote.

You can call me an "idiot" with an "incomprehensible taste in movies" all you like, but of all the movies that I nominated for this tournament, you have already voted for most of them so far!!! ROFL!!

How do you like those apples?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) 75.00%
    2. Clue (1985) 53.57%
    3. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) 35.71%
    4. The Ref (1994) 25.00%
    5. The Trouble with Harry (1955) 25.00%
    6. Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990) 21.43%

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. The Nutty Professor (1996) 17.86%
    2. Election (1999) 14.29%
    3. I Love You, Man (2009) 14.29%
    4. The Sunshine Boys (1975) 7.14%

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Seeing (Seth Rogen) in stuff like Funny People and 50/50 displays he's got more talent than people give him credit for.
    I still want to see those. I guess I've known that actor had more work which might be good; just haven't bothered to watch that stuff. Except for The Guilt Trip... that was a letdown. In fact, very little of all that I have seen was good at all, but I suppose I could try to reserve judgement a little more.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Seeing (Seth Rogen) in stuff like Funny People and 50/50 displays he's got more talent than people give him credit for.
    I still want to see those. I guess I've known that actor had more work which might be good; just haven't bothered to watch that stuff. Except for The Guilt Trip... that was a letdown. In fact, very little of all that I have seen was good at all, but I suppose I could try to reserve judgement a little more.
    That's usually how it is for comedic actors. They get typecast then have to break the typecast themselves.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

...Ebert's review..."... You feel good watching the movie. That's what comedies are for, right?"
    This is why I didn't especially want to do a comedy tourney at all. It's too broad of a category, with too many definitions and potential simultaneous directions.
    I Love You, Man is a fair feel good movie.
    Election is a hard behavioral satire.
    Gremlins 2 is not a good film, but, actually, not such a bad comedy.
    I think we should be judging comedies based not just on how much they make us laugh, but also how good the rest of it is. Some comedies may not be as funny as other, but have better performances and a story. The key, I think, is to vote for that middle ground. What is funny about the film? Is it the sight gags and the parody? The character relationships? The satire? The dialogue? The story? I think the best comedies excel in most of these kind questions.
    I for one am voting for whichever COMEDY made laugh most and loudest. If you wish to judge a film on the other stuff, stick to other genres.

Country
    Country Flag

How can you assert that feelings and first impressions matter more to a contest than discussion and thought and not expect that contest to inordinately favor movies designed to provoke feeling and first impressions over movies designed to provoke thought and discussion? It's not that I suddenly fail to follow that standard of impulse because I so dislike particular movies; it's that I fail to care for those very movies because I do not in general happen to believe in impulsive standards anyway.

So which causes a more unfair bias? Bias toward a critical approach or bias against one?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

This made me legit lol ^

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    ...Ebert's review..."... You feel good watching the movie. That's what comedies are for, right?"
    This is why I didn't especially want to do a comedy tourney at all. It's too broad of a category, with too many definitions and potential simultaneous directions.
    I Love You, Man is a fair feel good movie.
    Election is a hard behavioral satire.
    Gremlins 2 is not a good film, but, actually, not such a bad comedy.
    I think we should be judging comedies based not just on how much they make us laugh, but also how good the rest of it is. Some comedies may not be as funny as other, but have better performances and a story. The key, I think, is to vote for that middle ground. What is funny about the film? Is it the sight gags and the parody? The character relationships? The satire? The dialogue? The story? I think the best comedies excel in most of these kind questions.
    I for one am voting for whichever COMEDY made laugh most and loudest. If you wish to judge a film on the other stuff, stick to other genres.
    I don't see what this has to do with anything. So I can't judge how funny the characters are in one movie compared to the parody in another? What if I laugh just has hard at two movies but for every different reasons and I have to pick one? There is no barometer of laughter at my disposal. Movies are funny for so many different reasons it's impossible to even measure laughter levels in movies...some movies make you laugh harder but not as often as, say, a movie that makes you always chuckle but not really belly laugh much. Does why you're laughing not even matter? I think it matters a lot.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

You tell everybody to follow dumb rules, everybody picks dumb movies. That doesn't prove that they are really the best; it only proves that you are all being dumb.
    Do you understand this time, or do I have to use flash cards?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

yay for Clue!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    yay for Clue!!
    "I had to stop her screaming..."

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    yay for Clue!!
    "I had to stop her screaming..."

I had a VHS player and very few tapes and this one, Clue, got watched MANY times A very fun movie still

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm happy it's doing so well, never knew there was so much love for it.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

By complete coincidence I happened to catch Clue on TV the other day. I missed the first half of the movie but what I saw wasn’t too bad. I may even throw it a vote in the next round.

My daughter came in when I was watching it and said “Is this Clue?” I said yes and she was like “Really? They made a movie out of the board game?”
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You have to watch the whole thing, if you enjoyed what you saw then I'm sure you'll love the rest.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

My daughter came in when I was watching it and said “Is this Clue?” I said yes and she was like “Really? They made a movie out of the board game?”
    It's better than Battleship.

Country
    Country Flag

You tell everybody to follow dumb rules, everybody picks dumb movies. That doesn't prove that they are really the best; it only proves that you are all being dumb.
    Do you understand this time, or do I have to use flash cards?
    Nope. You're gonna have to explain it to me. Please do enlighten me with your intellect.

With flash cards! LOL! LOL!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast