• Twins (1988)

13 46.43%
  • Better Off Dead (1985)

6 21.43%
  • Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995)

12 42.86%
  • Police Academy (1984)

19 67.86%
  • Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004)

14 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group K

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Examples above

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I mean what makes either film one or the other...

That's a vague statement lol.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought both were good silly, just that Ace is better silly! Bad silly is a Wayan's brothers movie.

Just not a lot of thought goes into a Wayan's bro's flick, the jokes all fall flat for me. Can't specify why for myself. I guess comedy can be a pretty personal thing.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Good silly is Harpo Marx, John Cleese, or John Belushi's samurai; you're talking about bad silly (Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls) and slightly less bad silly (Dodgeball.)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Just not a lot of thought goes into a Wayan's bro's flick
    Huh... didn't they discover the comedy of Jim Carrey? Things that make you go hmm...

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Huh... didn't they discover the comedy of Jim Carrey? Things that make you go hmm...
    Jim Carrey was doing stand up/impersonations in the early '80's as well as the tv show, Duck Factory (1984) well before he was on In Living Color.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    Jim Carrey was doing stand up/impersonations in the early '80's as well as the tv show, Duck Factory (1984) well before he was on In Living Color.
    Plus he was always the best part of the show. Though I actually didn't mind In Living Colour, it's specifically their movies I can't stand.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not a big fan of most Wayans movies, either, and I also did not mind "In Living Color," except for Jim Carrey's characters. He was totally the worst part to me, always, on there. I know it wasn't his real first work; again I was being facetious. I like about half of his movies; a few of them, I really love.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I know it wasn't his real first work; again I was being facetious.
    Can't read your mind, dude.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry again. That was not meant as a complaint but as an apology. I felt I should explain when I realized that another joke was not clear. Anyhow, it was a turning point in his rise to fame.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry again. That was not meant as a complaint but as an apology. I felt I should explain when I realized that another joke was not clear. Anyhow, it was a turning point in his rise to fame.
    Agreed that not many knew of him until his work on that show but disagree that he was discovered by them.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Close enough for government work. Everybody was saying they like Ace Ventura. Pablo then said that Dodgeball is not as good. Theli suggested a better example of stuff not as good comes from the Wayans,. And I opined that Ventura is just as bad as that. Most redeeming thing about Dodgeball for me is its blunt satire of typical sports movies.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Most redeeming thing about Dodgeball for me is its blunt satire of typical sports movies.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

SNL passed on Jim Carrey. Reportedly, Lorne Michaels wasn't at the addition.

Things worked out for the best, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he were on SNL instead of In Living Color. Personally, In Living Color suited his comedy better I think.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Three days to go, please get your votes in!

Country
    Country Flag

In memoriam:

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Voted: Dr. Strangelove, Death To Smoochy (LOVE IT, despite the hate), Dodgeball, Army of Darkness.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Five votes for Smoochy is sad, really sad.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's time for us to go on Safari, Pablo. SAFARI!!! *ELEPHANT NOISE*
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Army of Darkness (1992) 67.86%
    2. Police Academy (1984) 67.86%
    3. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story (2004) 50.00%
    4. Dr. Strangelove (1964) 50.00%
    5. Twins (1988) 46.43%
    6. Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995) 42.86%

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. Rush Hour 2 (2001) 25.00%
    2. Better Off Dead (1985) 21.43%
    3. Death to Smoochy (2002) 17.86%
    4. Mr. Hulot's Holiday (1953) 14.29%

+ Reply to Thread