• The Producers (1967)

7 26.92%
  • Love Actually (2003)

2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group H

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Graduate
    Love Actually
    Have you ever seen Ed Wood? I think you might like that.
    No, I really want to. Even though it's old, it takes a tremendous amount of motivation for me to watch to watch Johnny Depp now haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    How can people not vote for Swimming with Sharks?
    Can't vote for what we haven't seen. It's Spacey so I'll watch it one day.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You have six days, get to it!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Sullivan's Travels
    What do you think was the funniest part?
    It's a true classic. One of the best comedies where it's pretty much funny non-stop, as with Bringing Up Baby or It Happened One Night:

I'm giving it an honest effort but I'm just not seeing anything funny in these old movie clips.
    I see plenty in old movie clips, but in the case of this movie, that's the funniest scene. It is a true classic with a point about how comedy movies are supposed to be good for you even if they're not about anything except for getting laughs. Meaning other movies, because Sullivan's Travels is about something else (making that point) and not about getting laughs itself.
    I agree, movies back then had a different type of humor. But I enjoy both the modern comedies as well as the old. The old movies didn't have to be vulgar or gross to be funny, they did it with words, writing, acting, etc. I'm honestly very surprised anyone can find giant comedy classics boring or unfunny. Of course, like anything, humor is subjective but some films are just universally great.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It has a little wit, but mostly it qualifies as comedy philosophically; possessing the point of view that life is basically good and the romantic notion that the basic purpose of life is happiness. It's a great film because that's universally important to consider, even if it might not be an objective truth.

Country
    Country Flag

And we are technically voting for the best film, not necessarily the funniest.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting.

Maybe I'll have to change votes. I'm not even sure that "best" and "greatest" have the same meaning when it comes to film, though. And there's still the issue of dark comedy. Coincidentally, The Graduate is great for reasons opposite from ST. Its themes are rather antisocial.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not saying you should change votes or vote any differently, I was merely posing a notion. Like any such tournament, this is still a popularity contest. If we want what we believe to be objectivity in a list of best whatever and which includes our every favorite, then we can simply post our own lists and that will be it. But where's the fun in that? There would be nothing to gripe about

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm not saying you should change votes or vote any differently, I was merely posing a notion. Like any such tournament, this is still a popularity contest. If we want what we believe to be objectivity in a list of best whatever and which includes our every favorite, then we can simply post our own lists and that will be it. But where's the fun in that? There would be nothing to gripe about
    I gave up on that way back when we did our first competition. I was voting for not necessarily my favorite film in the bunch, but the one that I thought was the "best", until I realized that these amazing well made films were being eliminated because people were just voting for their favorites out of the bunch. So now I kinda do the same.

And Matt you really need to watch Ed Wood!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

In my mind, the "best" is what my favorite is. If someone says something is the best and I don't care for it, then it's not the best to me.

Unless there is a way to objectively measure "best". Most awards? Best reviews? Highest box office totals? Best rotten tomatoes score?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Friday was the only standout for me. I also voted for Biloxi Blues though. Christopher Walken is always funny to me whether he is trying to be or not.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, that's defeatist! You're saying the community won't ever become more enlightened, so the comments are just for venting personal frustration.
    Oh wait... no, you're just saying that you're not trying to micromanage, to force specific people to make specific choices. Yeah, but, we don't have to do it that way to have an influence.

What if we DON'T believe that what we want can't be wrong? There's room for discussion that could lead to better results... even if that result is not that our picks more closely match the list devised by American Film Institute or whoever. Putting those people up on a pedestal would not be very enlightened, either.

There is no bottom line like in business or science when dealing in the humanities and arts; no single fact that can be isolated and repeated in another context, because this area of inquiry is about context, and subject, and observers themselves. What matters is each person's ability to do their own thinking. Different people still can recognize a classic film that works not just today but in many settings, yet one particular film that has such timelessness might not have so much of it that it outweighs how much impact one particular film of the sort that tries to have an instant impact has. We can recognize a great film that has depth and balance that against a shallow film that's funny if we think in terms of best overall. Which movie best meets all criteria.

In theory, I should be able to add two more votes in this poll if I decided to shift my standards; I only voted for four. Doesn't seem like it would make much difference strategically. But, anyway, I'm really just here to look at those standards. And then give longwinded speeches, obviously.

Country
    Country Flag

Oookay.

Now, folks, please do give Swimming with Sharks a watch before voting, I'm sure you'll love it. It's streaming on Netflix. It must move on! It's one of Kevin Spacey's best.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Not a great list for me, of the ones I've seen Friday was the only one that got some laughs out of me.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's not bad. Nice little story, and I laughed some at Chris Tucker. The original Producers is hilarious throughout. The Court Jester deserves more votes. It probably is the starring vehicle which best stands for Danny Kaye, who was a such a great entertainer, and you get at least a few lol's watching it.

Country
    Country Flag

Now, folks, please do give Swimming with Sharks a watch before voting, I'm sure you'll love it. It's streaming on Netflix. It must move on! It's one of Kevin Spacey's best.
    I mean, check this doozy out:

Country
    Country Flag

This poll is closing in two days, so please get your votes in. The first group of polls managed between 30 and 32 votes per poll, so keep voting, please! The more people vote, the more fair the process is!

Country
    Country Flag

Only two votes for Swimming with Sharks is just criminal.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

one of the weaker groups...

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Yeah, as much as I have been involved with this whole contest, I cannot vote for any of these.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

There are more solid films in here than pure comedies for me.

Although everybody should see Ed Wood if they haven't already.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

We've got a three-way tie for sixth here. Any more votes for Sullivan's Travels if Swimming with Sharks is not moving on (which is a disaster, I say!).

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Yeah, as much as I have been involved with this whole contest, I cannot vote for any of these.
    So I guess you didn't like The Producers?

Country
    Country Flag

Or even The Graduate??

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I still want The Court Jester. Tie-breaker sounds good.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    So I guess you didn't like The Producers?
    It was okay. I watched it this weekend just for this tournament. I just found it more "mildly amusing" than laugh-out-loud funny. I think Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are inspired comedy genius, and Spaceballs hits almost as high. Even some of the "lesser" Brooks movies tickle me, so it's not a Brooks thing. The Producers just didn't have enough oomph to prompt a vote. Peter Sellers considered it one of the funniest films he had ever seen, and Sellers knows comedy. Maybe you had to be there.

Or even The Graduate??
    I like The Graduate. It's a great film. But somehow I don't see it as a "comedy." More of a coming of age social commentary. Sort of the same approach to Ed Wood. It was clever and fun but my recollection was being "amused" not really "oh, man, what a great comedy!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast