• The Great Race (1965)

5 18.52%
  • As Good as It Gets (1997)

7 25.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group E

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the best group of the first bracket, and the only group where I felt that I had to leave one out.

Voted for Coming to America (my favorite of the group), American Pie, Wolf of Wallstreet, What about Bob (another absolute classic), Princess Bride and Meet the Fockers.

Wanted to vote for Three Amigos and As Good as it Gets, but Alas, only 6 votes.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Crap, I just realized it was Meet the Fockers, not Meet the Parents. MTF was good, but not nearly as good as MTP, and I would not have voted for it over As Good as it Gets.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    What about Bob (another absolute classic),
    "Is this some kind of radical new therapy."

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Matt, you just got Eberted.

Matt's usually the one doing the Eberting.

I've been reading Ebert's reviews for 20+ years now, he's who taught me how to look at film with a critical eye, I didn't always agree with him but even when I didn't agree I respected his opinion, I miss him dearly
    Have you seen Life Itself yet? It's fantastic.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a killer list, The Three Amigos, Princess Bride, THe Wolf of Wall Street... but for pure comedy gold nothing strikes be better than the stupid comedy of Rogen and Franco (other than Monty Python), so I give the sole vote to This Is the End.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    This is a killer list, The Three Amigos, Princess Bride, THe Wolf of Wall Street... but for pure comedy gold nothing strikes be better than the stupid comedy of Rogen and Franco (other than Monty Python), so I give the sole vote to This Is the End.
    Honestly, the dirty magazine scene is one of the more genuinely funny moments I've seen in a film in about 5 years. I'd post the scene here, but it might be offensive to some. Fuck it, I'll put it in a spoiler tag.

Spoiler:

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I've been reading Ebert's reviews for 20+ years now, he's who taught me how to look at film with a critical eye, I didn't always agree with him but even when I didn't agree I respected his opinion, I miss him dearly
    Yes I've seen it and it is a great film, I love all the stuff about Siskel & Ebert, the promo outtakes are hilarious. It is incredibly heartbreaking and disturbing to watch him slowly and painfully deteriorate from cancer but Ebert knew it was important to show someone going through what he did. And if Ebert was going to be in a film, it certainly wasn't going to be weak tea.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Let your SOUL GLO!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

"We could use a PLETHORA of votes about now"

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes I've seen it and it is a great film, I love all the stuff about Siskel & Ebert, the promo outtakes are hilarious. It is incredibly heartbreaking and disturbing to watch him slowly and painfully deteriorate from cancer but Ebert knew it was important to show someone going through what he did. And if Ebert was going to be in a film, it certainly wasn't going to be weak tea.
    Loved the promos too. There was so much venom coming from both of them. In the end, they really did love and respect each other.

I still feel the film should have been nominated for best documentary.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This poll is closing in two days, so please get your votes in. The first group of polls managed between 30 and 32 votes per poll, so keep voting, please! The more people vote, the more fair the process is!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Need to break the tie for sixth, more votes for This Is the End, please!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

If Meet the Fockers goes through and This is the End doesn't I'm going to be slightly agitated.

Country
    Country Flag

This is closing soon so we need to break that tie! Where are all the This Is the End fans?

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I've already voted for This is the End.

How are ties broken again?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

If there's a tie for last place (or last places), there will be a separate 4-day tiebreaker poll. I hope more people do vote, though it's getting awful late now. Looks like about 3-5 people didn't vote in this group that voted in the first one...

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following five titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. The Princess Bride (1987) 59.26%
    2. American Pie (1999) 55.56%
    3. Coming to America (1988) 51.85%
    4. What About Bob? (1991) 48.15%
    5. Three Amigos! (1986) 44.44%

The following two titles will face off in a tiebreaker for the last spot:
    1. Meet the Fockers (2004) 33.33%
    2. This Is the End (2013) 33.33%

And the following three titles have been eliminated:
    1. As Good as It Gets (1997) 25.93%
    2. The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) 22.22%
    3. The Great Race (1965) 18.52%

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I did not realize this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2