• Borat (2006)

13 41.94%
  • Scary Movie (2000)

11 35.48%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group B

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group B

For the Round 1 polls, please vote for up to six titles to move on to the next round. You can vote for less, but please make sure you are not voting for more before clicking that Vote button. The poll will be open for one week. The top six titles will be moving on to Round 2.

Stripes (1981)

Watch Trailer

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Watch Trailer

Last Action Hero (1993)

Watch Trailer

After Hours (1985)

Watch Trailer

Knocked Up (2007)

Watch Trailer

The Owl and the Pussycat (1970)

Watch Trailer

Office Space (1999)

Watch Trailer

Another Year (2010)

Watch Trailer

Borat (2006)

Watch Trailer

Scary Movie (2000)

Watch Trailer

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My six here are Bringing Up Baby, After Hours, Knocked Up, Office Space, Another Year, and Borat (that trailer always kills me). And what the hell, only two votes so far for Bringing Up Baby, the funniest movie ever made? You guys must be kidding.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

At least Another Year got in. Still, it's a movie I wish more people would watch. It's incredible.

After Hours/Knocked Up/Another Year/Office Space/Borat
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

Painful seeing Scary Movie ahead of Bringing Up Baby.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't care for Office Space.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Painful seeing Scary Movie ahead of Bringing Up Baby.
    I agree and Scary Movie was my nomination! Whatever the outcome of this tournament, Bringing Up Baby will always be the best comedy for me

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I have Bringing Up Baby at home, so I'll wait to vote till I watch that one.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Scary Movie 1 was the decent one of that franchise. The rest were crap.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    I didn't care for Office Space.
    I think Office Space really appeals to people like me that actually work in IT. I can see some of my friends and former co-workers in the characters.

One time I actually got the “PC Load Letter” error when I tried to print something. When I quoted the line from the movie the guy sitting next to the printer started cracking up.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If you have work in IT for this film to hit on all cylinders then it's not that great.

I also recently saw Napoleon Dynamite for the first time and hated it. Some comedy just works for some and not for others.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

If you have work in IT for this film to hit on all cylinders then it's not that great.

I also recently saw Napoleon Dynamite for the first time and hated it. Some comedy just works for some and not for others.
    Napoleon Dynamite is one of those movies you have to watch a few times. I know a lot of people that hated it the first time they saw it (myself included).
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Went for Office Space and last Action Hero, which isn't nearly as funny as Office Space, but is just as good of a film if not better.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

Napoleon Dynamite is one of those movies you have to watch a few times. I know a lot of people that hated it the first time they saw it (myself included).
    I loved Napoleon Dynamite the first time I saw it. I remember just crying in the theater while a lot of people were just silent. But, I can really see why someone wouldn't like it. It takes a certain sense of humor, I think.

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty surprising to see Stripes in second place. Didn't think it was very popular, at least as compared to some other Bill Murray comedies.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You do not have to work in IT to appreciate Office Space. I would think anyone with annoying jerks for bosses would appreciate it and doesn't that include most people.

As for Napoleon, it is definitely an acquired taste. I had to watch it twice before I really found it funny.

Country
    Country Flag

Napoleon Dynamite is coming up for a vote in tomorrow's polls.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I think Office Space really appeals to people like me that actually work in IT. I can see some of my friends and former co-workers in the characters.
    I do, too. One character, anyway --

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could only vote for three.

Office Space was the only "lock" for me in this round. I don't work in IT, but I thought it extremely funny. (Why would you have to work in IT to find this film funny?).

Borat is a strange case. Parts of the movie actively pissed me off. Some of his scenarios were mean-spritied and unfair to the butt of the jokes. However, there are parts of Borat that had me laughing so hard I could not breathe. Gut busting, tears running down my face, laughter. Very few films have done that for me. So, even given my stated reservations, it certainly gets my vote.

I gave Last Action Hero some love also. It was so maligned when it came out and when I eventually got around to watching it, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I did not vote for Stripes. Stripes was THE MOVIE when it came out. The Bill Murray / SNL demographic was very strong. All my friends thought it was super-great. However, I didn't actually watch it until after I had joined the Army, and, well, it rubbed me completely the wrong way. I know I shouldn't take a stupid comedy so close to heart, but I felt like some of the "making fun" was mean-spirited or not respectful of the choice to serve. I probably just watched it at the wrong time in my life. Certainly I can appreciate military-based comedies (M*A*S*H is my favorite TV show of all time).

I've seen Bringing Up Baby and I recall it as being a bit too screwball for my tastes. I've seen a few of the 1930s - 1940s screwball comedies, and none really do it for me. Just not my genre. I watched it a long time ago and there is a possibility I would appreciate it more nowdays.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I've seen a few of the 1930s - 1940s screwball comedies, and none really do it for me. Just not my genre.
    That's fine, but for Last Action Hero to advance toward our comedy title instead is just mind boggling.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

HOW CAN A SCREWBALL COMEDY BE TO SCREWBALL?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, if you don't like screwball comedies much...

It's a genre thing. Even the later screwballs don't do it for me. Mad Mad World was barely passable and The Great Race was abysmal. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    I've seen a few of the 1930s - 1940s screwball comedies, and none really do it for me. Just not my genre.
    That's fine, but for Last Action Hero to advance toward our comedy title instead is just mind boggling.
    Or Scary Movie, or Knocked Up, or... (insert any film of your choice). Not all that mind-boggling that some movies or movie types click with some but not others. I love The Three Stooges but find most Laurel and Hardy tedious. Go figure.

Country
    Country Flag

But there's still an overall feel for what constitutes a classic. BUB is definitely one while LAH is not so much.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I mean, also, my point fwiw is just about what is distinctive comedy. Scary Movie and Knocked Up are not classic and never will be, plus I'd also say that neither has a great deal of either quality or quality of laughs, (although the latter is purely opinion; no one who doesn't get a joke can ever say with certainty that there is just no joke there to get) however, they each are comedies of different sub-genres, indisputably. (i.e. parody and postmodern romcom) The sub-genre of Last Action Hero is self-referential, self-deprecating action-genre metafiction. I'm not saying that's not comedy. It is. It's just not singularly within the bounds of the larger category as clearly as screwball is, another issue quite beside the questions of which examples in the different subgenres are funniest, best-made, most timeless, and so on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast