Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Young Frankenstein (1974)

15 48.39%
  • The King of Comedy (1982)

5 16.13%
  • Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

12 38.71%
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

22 70.97%
  • Old School (2003)

11 35.48%
  • A Christmas Story (1983)

18 58.06%
  • The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

14 45.16%
  • The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)

6 19.35%
  • Analyze This (1999)

7 22.58%
  • Back to the Future (1985)

20 64.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group A

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Used all six votes on this group as well.

Back to the Future was my favorite of the group, and I believe this is rightly labeled a comedy. A Christmas Story and Monty Python, as well as Young Frankenstein were also no-brainers for me.

Also voted for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Though not as good as Planes, Trains and Automobiles which I've always thought of together for some reason) and 40 year-old virgin.

P.S. I think I fell asleep during Analyze This.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised King of Comedy did so poorly. I wonder if it's because people didn't like it or they just haven't seen it.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm surprised King of Comedy did so poorly. I wonder if it's because people didn't like it or they just haven't seen it.
    This group has two De Niro movies, and both are on the outside looking in right now.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting. I think Meet the Parents will prove to be more successful. Maybe people just don't see him as a comedic actor. That's too bad because he was great in comedies way before Analyze This and Meet the Parents. Even Midnight Run was more of a traditional comedy than King of Comedy and those were in the 80's, so DeNiro has been doing comedy for a while.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

When I think of DeNiro, I don’t really think of comedy. Even in Meet the Parents/Fockers or Analyze This he was paired with another more “traditional” (for lack of a better word) comedic actor(s) like Ben Stiller and Billy Crystal.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    When I think of DeNiro, I don’t really think of comedy. Even in Meet the Parents/Fockers or Analyze This he was paired with another more “traditional” (for lack of a better word) comedic actor(s) like Ben Stiller and Billy Crystal.
    Good point. He mainly played the straight man in his comedies. Even in Midnight Run. I guess you could say King of Comedy was one of the few films where he didn't play the straight man.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Come to think of it, I guess the straight man was Jerry Lewis! How about that?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Come to think of it, I guess the straight man was Jerry Lewis! How about that?
    As such, it is probably my favorite performance by him, not a big fan of his comedy (however I do love the professor from the Simpsons imitation of him)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The following six titles are moving on to the next round:
    1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) 70.97%
    2. Back to the Future (1985) 64.52%
    3. A Christmas Story (1983) 58.06%
    4. Young Frankenstein (1974) 48.39%
    5. The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005) 45.16%
    6. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) 38.71%

And the following four titles have been eliminated:
    1. Old School (2003) 35.48%
    2. Analyze This (1999) 22.58%
    3. The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977) 19.35%
    4. The King of Comedy (1982) 16.13%

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I underestimated the popularity of Old School. I thought it would breeze through the first round. For some reason I thought that was more popular. I hear it constantly quoted.

Sorry to see two of my DeNiro nominations go (Analyze This and King of Comedy.) I'm not surprised though. I just hope people give King of Comedy a chance. It's one of the films that proves what a versatile filmmaker Scorsese is.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2