Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Young Frankenstein (1974)

15 48.39%
  • The King of Comedy (1982)

5 16.13%
  • Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

12 38.71%
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)

22 70.97%
  • Old School (2003)

11 35.48%
  • A Christmas Story (1983)

18 58.06%
  • The 40-Year-Old Virgin (2005)

14 45.16%
  • The Kentucky Fried Movie (1977)

6 19.35%
  • Analyze This (1999)

7 22.58%
  • Back to the Future (1985)

20 64.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group A

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Best Comedy Tournament: Round 1 - Group A

For the Round 1 polls, please vote for up to six titles to move on to the next round. You can vote for less, but please make sure you are not voting for more before clicking that Vote button. The poll will be open for one week. The top six titles will be moving on to Round 2.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I went with only four here: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Analyze This, and Back to the Future. Really surprised to see Analyze This trailing so far.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Back To The Future/40 Year Old Virgin

Wish I could take the time to watch more of these but I have to catch up on reading :/
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Fuck it. I'm done. This is too hard.

You have no idea how hard it was for me not to vote for Back to the Future. I just don't consider it a comedy.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

You have no idea how hard it was for me not to vote for Back to the Future. I just don't consider it a comedy.
    I do, and commend you for it. That's the kind of character we need.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I went with only four here: Monty Python and the Holy Grail, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Analyze This, and Back to the Future. Really surprised to see Analyze This trailing so far.
    Yeah, cause it's much better than Young Frankenstein.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If you don't vote for Monty Python I'll fart in your general direction.

Country
    Country Flag

Not a fan of YF.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Not a fan of YF.
    and my head just exploded

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

"NONE SHALL PASS!"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Me too. I struggled with it being there because I love the film, but don't see it as a comedy so I couldn't vote for it So A Christmas Story was the only one to get my vote here. It better move on!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I’m not sure what else you could consider it. Drama? Action/adventure? It’s a little bit of those but I think primarily it was meant to be a comedy. Just look at the opening scene where he blows up the speakers.

Then there’s the one-liners like :

“Gimme a pepsi-free”
    “Hey buddy, if you want a pepsi, you’re gonna have to pay for it.”

“Then tell me, future boy, who's President of the United States in 1985? “
    “Ronald Reagan.“
    “Ronald Reagan? The actor? Then who's vice president? Jerry Lewis?”

“Butthead!”

“Manure! I hate manure!”

The scene where he rocks out to Johhny B Good and Marvin Berry calls his cousin “Chuck”.

How can you NOT consider this a comedy?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'm glad Monty Python is doing well. [rubs hands together]

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I’m not sure what else you could consider it. Drama? Action/adventure? It’s a little bit of those but I think primarily it was meant to be a comedy. Just look at the opening scene where he blows up the speakers.
    My favorite is in the beginning at the dinner table.

David: God-Damnit [gets up to leave]
    Mom: David! Watch your mouth!...Now come kiss your mother before you go.

That's so classic.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Despite some decent options, it had to be Monty Python, no point voting for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Despite some decent options, it had to be Monty Python.
    Did you know that you could choose up to six movies?

Country
    Country Flag

Wonder why Old School is doing so well, over a great new classic like Analyze This.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

"ALL HAIL TO THE GRAIL"
    Spoiler:

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Back to the Future is science fiction action/adventure using comedy in a common technique to suspend disbelief around the improbable science. Though I'll grant you that the manure bit is classic slapstick. Slapstick to lighten up a full-on action sequence.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    If you don't vote for Monty Python I'll fart in your general direction.
    I love Holy Grail, but didn't vote for it because I knew it was going to move on regardless. I'd rather cast my vote for a film I like that might struggle. Strategery

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I’m not sure what else you could consider it. Drama? Action/adventure? It’s a little bit of those but I think primarily it was meant to be a comedy.
    It's a Sci-fi film. I consider it Sci-fi. Is it funny? Hell yeah it's funny, but that doesn't make it a comedy. At least not in my eyes.

I can go list 4 funny scenes from Aliens, it doesn't make it a comedy though.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I went ahead and voted for 6, although in later rounds I will be more discriminating.

My favorite of the group is by far The Kentucky Fried Movie. I so love this comedy gem. Young Frankenstein and A Christmas Story are next.

I did cast a vote for Monty Python and the Holy Grail, though I consider it uneven. Parts are lame, but the parts that are funny are really funny, so no qualms with voting for it.

I cast a vote for Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, mainly b/c of that one scene. You know the one--Ruprecht the monkey boy. That alone is worth a vote in the early round.

And Back to the Future, even though I agree it is more of a sci-fi film with comedic elements. But certainly not nearly as much of an egregious selection than some others. Plus, I thought it was clever. "Clever" goes a long way with me, especially becasue so many comedies are "tired" or "lame."

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just watched the trailer here for The King of Comedy and didn't feel it represented the film which might be why the vote count is so low. Here's a better one (really just a scene) but much better than the teaser.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a scene to help get a better idea of what to expect from Kentucky Fried Movie. The team that will bring you Airplane in a couple of years.

Country
    Country Flag

I tried to select the best official trailers I could find for each movie. It's fun seeing how each movie was promoted at the time but for some older titles there's not a lot of choice. But do feel free to post scenes from your favorites! That's always fun.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a great scene from King of Comedy. One of the best from the film. It really is a hard movie to sell in a trailer.

My other favorite scene is the one in Jerry Lewis' house. Good stuff.

Country
    Country Flag

We've got a tie for the final spot between Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and Old School that we gotta break!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast