Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Did you feel any sorry for Blaine?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I did a lot.

9 6.87%
  • Yes, I did a little.

47 35.88%
  • No, not at all.

75 57.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Blaine - and your feelings about it

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Well there you go.

My first reaction was that it only killed the train, and not what was up the digital line. But it was so severe, it makes sense that it would have got the whole thing.

Although, its a fun idea that Blaine still lives in the forum of a dim light somewhere on a computer bank under Lud.
    There you go. What I said in the first place, if you just had been paying a little more attention... fucker.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I understood completely--just not sure I agree yet.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Matt, I always always hope that things/people don't really die in The Dark Tower. Then I can always hope for their creepy return!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I understood completely--just not sure I agree yet.
    Well you better make up your mind right or I'll have to come out to Colorado and take advantage of that sexy wife of yours...
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

Well there you go.

My first reaction was that it only killed the train, and not what was up the digital line. But it was so severe, it makes sense that it would have got the whole thing.

Although, its a fun idea that Blaine still lives in the forum of a dim light somewhere on a computer bank under Lud.
    I do believe there is a passage from W&G that says something to the extent that "Blaine, in reality, was stuck back in Lud....and the train was just an extenstion." Something along those lines, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post

I do believe there is a passage from W&G that says something to the extent that "Blaine, in reality, was stuck back in Lud....and the train was just an extenstion." Something along those lines, anyway.
    Hmmmm....

Are you talking about when Blaine says that his main frame was actually back in Lud and the antenna he was extending was connecting to it?

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that one. I think there is another one too though, not entirely sure though.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I suppose it's possible that Blaine switched off the computer system or transferred his consciouness entirely to the train before he set out...

I'm not entirely convinced though considering the way it is described.

I also wondered about Patricia. Obviously the train was destroyed but was she also part of the computer system too? I guess Blaine could have just destroyed her computer systems when the train commited suicide.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Blaine wanted to die. It wanted to exist no more. I think it would have been able to save itself but it didn't.

Roland would have understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I think Brian wanted to die. He wanted to exist no more. I think he would have been able to save itself but he didn't.

Who is Brian?

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Brian wanted to die. He wanted to exist no more. I think he would have been able to save itself but he didn't.
    Careful with that spelling dear. Thats a little harsh.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

*laughs out loudly*
    I am just about to correct it. Sometimes it's incredible what I can write...

Roland would have understood.

Cutie-pie

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

*laughs out loudly*
    I am just about to correct it. Sometimes it's incredible what I can write...

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

I don't see how anyone can feel sorry for Blaine. I mean sure, he achieved a sort of consciousness, making him a true artificial intelligence, but look at the atrocities he committed. How many millions of luddites died at his hands? He had a routine of firing up the "god-drums" just to make the people kill themselves. Anybody who tried to approach one of his terminals got fried on the spot. He was in a position of great power during a time of great war when the world was passing on, and he didn't use it to help. He used it to harm others for his own amusement.

Blaine didn't feel any remorse for the people that died because of him, and he set himself on a pillar above the people. He had no conscience, and was antisocial and dangerously aggressive toward anybody that approached him. There's a term for that kind of behavior: sociopath/psychopath.

Should I feel bad for Ted Bundy because he was a product of a broken home? Or should I be horrified at the acts he committed?

==

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I think you should consider why Ted Bundy did the things he did. To disregard environment is to dichotomize the human condition in a way that disregards the means in light of the end. We've already determined that Blaine is a psychopath, but for King, these are always made, and not created. King's villains are so interesting because they are complex. You might find the threads on Mordred and the Crimson King interesting.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I think you should consider why Ted Bundy did the things he did. To disregard environment is to dichotomize the human condition in a way that disregards the means in light of the end.
    ...and why is that a bad thing, Ryan?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Brice, I'll send you a pm or just tell you when I see you next week. I don't want to derail the thread.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

why do the most interesting things go to PMs instead of to off-topic threads?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    why do the most interesting things go to PMs instead of to off-topic threads?

I'll PM you the answer to that.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I kind of saw Blaine as a cross between HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey and Gollum from The Hobbit.

I felt sorry for both of those, even though they were supposed to be villains, and I felt the same way with Blaine. The way Eddie kept killing Blaine with his jokes made me think of a funnier version of Dave Bowman, and Blaine's "I hate you" talk reminded me of Gollum's last lines from The Hobbit.

What's wrong with me? I feel sorry for the villains!

Nothing is wrong with you dude. Most of us feel the same way.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Nothing is wrong with you dude. Most of us feel the same way.
    That's good to know, because I really don't want to harden my heart in that way....

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had sympathy for the poor thing during the riddles--he really seemed like he was once the height of service to those who built him.

As time went on, he got lonely and it drove him crazy. Seems kind of tragic to me.

That's not an excuse, he was a pain when our Katet met him for sure.
    I tend to agree with you Matt. I liked Blaines character although I really don't like what he did to the people of Lud

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast