Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: Best Comedy Tournament: Nominations and Discussion

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Just wait until you see how silly the new trailers eventually look!
    Totally, people are going to look back at trailers now and be like, "what the fuck was that?" This is especially true for teasers.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Teasers are for the bedroom.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of which, I hope you all do check out the trailers in the polls. I finally figured out a way to post many trailers in one bunch without overloading the page, works great. I tried to find the best or most representative trailer for each movie (where possible - some had just one option, a few had none) and in the best possible quality (preferably HD). I find it's fun to watch all the trailers in a row as presented, since it's so random and gives a better feel for your picks, I think. But I love trailers in general so maybe it's just me.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I finally figured out a way to post many trailers in one bunch without overloading the page, works great.

Thanks!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No probs. Also, loving all the discussion in the polls, great activity, around 30 votes so far. Thanks for the great turnout, folks! Keep it going!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

After going through all 200 nominations, I’ve determined that there are:

25 that I love and would not mind see winning the whole thing
    50 that I think are just ok.
    6 that I didn’t like.
    69 that I’ve either never seen, only seen bits and pieces of or don’t remember all that well.
    50 that I’ve never even heard of and know absolutely nothing about. Mostly ones made prior to 1980ish.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

You have lots of homework to do Start catching up

Country
    Country Flag

We've gotten at least 30 votes in the first wave of polls that closed today, so hopefully we can keep the same level of participation throughout!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    After going through all 200 nominations, I’ve determined that there are:

25 that I love and would not mind see winning the whole thing
    50 that I think are just ok.
    6 that I didn’t like.
    69 that I’ve either never seen, only seen bits and pieces of or don’t remember all that well.
    50 that I’ve never even heard of and know absolutely nothing about. Mostly ones made prior to 1980ish.
    Those are pretty good numbers actually.

Allasorte would have 1 film that he kind of liked on there and 199 that he didn't like because he's "not easily entertained.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Did we decide that animated films didn’t count as comedy? I would’ve thought a Pixar film like Toy Story or The Incredibles might have done pretty well. Maybe even Aladdin. Robin Williams was great as the Genie in that movie.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

We do have a few animated films nominated but they're more the adult type and quite clearly comedies. Most animated films geared towards children (Disney and Pixar) are funny by necessity.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Heavy Metal was pretty funny.

Country
    Country Flag

To get this out of the way, nominating our eventual winner, Bringing Up Baby.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I wish I hadn't contributed to this worthless exercise. Clearly, there are people here who only like modern comedies and refuse to acknowledge the existence of old films. I'd weep for the future but I won't be there so screw it.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry you feel that way. I don't think the problem is people refusing to acknowledge the old movies so much as just not having had the chance to watch them. I personally can't vote for any movie I haven't had the chance to see and I don't have the time to watch every movie on the list I haven't seen. If you think people shouldn't vote unless they have seen everything then you are going to have a very small voting pool.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've seen a lot of the older films, but certainly not all of them. Some people just don't like older films. There's also the means to watch them. Many of them aren't on TV or available on Netflix for instant streaming, so it's just harder for people to get their hands on some of those films.

Also, what's your definition of "modern?" Many of the most recent comedies are doing horribly in this tournament. The ones doing the best are the ones from the 70's, 80's and 90's. Most of them are classics in their own right. One of the best aspects of the tournament is that it will make more people aware of some of the older films. People who might not have seen them otherwise have now added them to their lists.

I wouldn't call it worthless. It's just for fun and Pablo has put a lot of time and effort into it.

I can see where you're coming from, but on the flip side, I hope you're not one of those people that thinks that anything recent is automatically bad.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh jeez, how melodramatic

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

To get this out of the way, nominating our eventual winner, Bringing Up Baby.
    We need a, like, sad-action-star smiley option, where a tear runs down one cheek, maybe, but the eyes let you know he'll still never say die.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Still Servant;907268]I've seen a lot of the older films, but certainly not all of them. Some people just don't like older films. There's also the means to watch them. Many of them aren't on TV or available on Netflix for instant streaming, so it's just harder for people to get their hands on some of those films.

Netflix? We don't need no stinking Netflix!

Country
    Country Flag

The final wave of Round 1 polls has been posted

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=needfulthings;907308]
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I've seen a lot of the older films, but certainly not all of them. Some people just don't like older films. There's also the means to watch them. Many of them aren't on TV or available on Netflix for instant streaming, so it's just harder for people to get their hands on some of those films.

Netflix? We don't need no stinking Netflix!

I love it. I just love it. Sometimes I just go into that thread where you originally posted those pics and just look at those pictures. No joke.

THANK YOU...Rooms like this are a thing of the past. They used to be called Video stores..I have no clue what will happen to these when I pass on. But right now DO YOU KNOW THE JOY I GET JUST TO GO DOWN & PICK A CLASSIC or a TURKEY OFF ONE OF THE WALLS or TO BE ABLE TO SCREEN CLASSIC & NEW 3D MOVIES IN MY OWN HOME?
    Spoiler:
    FUCK I STILL HAVE BETA & VHS MOVIES THAT YOU CAN"T GET ON DVD.
    In fact just got & projected this one today

and of course for me it doesn't get any BETTER then this...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    THANK YOU...Rooms like this are a thing of the past. They used to be called Video stores..I have no clue what will happen to these when I pass on. But right now DO YOU KNOW THE JOY I GET JUST TO GO DOWN & PICK A CLASSIC or a TURKEY OFF ONE OF THE WALLS or TO BE ABLE TO SCREEN CLASSIC & NEW 3D MOVIES IN MY OWN HOME?
    Spoiler:
    FUCK I STILL HAVE BETA & VHS MOVIES THAT YOU CAN"T GET ON DVD.
    In fact just got & projected this one today
    You don't have to tell me, my parents used to own a movie store. It was a lot of fun while it lasted and I have fond memories as a kid just walking up and down the isles looking at all the VHS covers (and sneaking into the XXX section..shhh). They were pretty innovative for their time, in fact they were the first video store in our area to rent video games. They were also the first video store in our area to have a drive thru.

Unfortunately, Blockbuster came around and knocked everybody out. There was another chain in the area that was also illegally copying tapes, it was impossible to compete with them. It was great while it lasted though.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

My best friend managed a Blockbuster for about five years. Michael, would you be pleased to know how bad my friend ripped them off over the years?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast