Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: The Collectible Patrick Rothfuss

Gunslinger Apprentice ruderabbit will become famous soon enough ruderabbit's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Motherfluffer

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yeah I saw that email a bit late - when I got home from work just now - glad I already got my copy from anderidia - but cool tinker had some too
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    yeah I saw that email a bit late - when I got home from work just now - glad I already got my copy from anderidia - but cool tinker had some too
    Glad I woke up at 3am to buy my copy too. But wondering how much it was on Tinker's Pack? I got the email and they were already gone when I clicked the link.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Glad I woke up at 3am to buy my copy too. But wondering how much it was on Tinker's Pack? I got the email and they were already gone when I clicked the link.
    The slipcased limited copies were $110.. so with the $7 shipping they were just slightly less expensive. They did have a snafu so I think many of you will be glad you didn't get in on it. They originally had it up to sell unlimited copies. I was able to get some but then I received a refund with a note that they actually only had 4 copies and those sold out right away.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I can probably find this info by randomly searching, but since I don't want spoilers (I'm only 157 pages into The Name Of The Wind, and it is going well), I will ask all of you and hope that someone knows:

Has a release date been set for book 3 (The Doors Of Stone)? If not, is there a general window (2018? 2019?) for when we should expect it?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I can probably find this info by randomly searching, but since I don't want spoilers (I'm only 157 pages into The Name Of The Wind, and it is going well), I will ask all of you and hope that someone knows:

Has a release date been set for book 3 (The Doors Of Stone)? If not, is there a general window (2018? 2019?) for when we should expect it?
    No and No.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    No and No.
    Book 2 (The Wise Man's Fear) came out in 2011 - is PR pulling a GRRM on us?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Per https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1222526753:

Pat Rothfuss made a bet. If his charity team page raises $333,333 before he kills the Ender Dragon, he'll read a chapter from Doors of Stone
    Let's hope this means that Doors of Stone is either done, close to done, or reaching meaningful critical mass in some way.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It's funny; I thought my previous post would be helpful to anyone who hadn't heard the "good" news, but...not so fast.

In a blog post written after the initial wager: https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/202...oors-of-stone/

…Rothfuss says:
    - the initial wager was for the prologue (no chapter)
    - he lost this wager but forgot about it overnight (brother, pleeeeeeease)
    - he then offered fans the choice of the prologue (which they'd already won) or a new higher-stakes wager in its place with a higher donation amount required to "win," but which would add a chapter on top of the prologue, as well as some pages from a comic he’s working on.

...and then:
    - the fans chose the new wager
    - the fans hit the new level ("won")
    - Rothfuss then (reportedly) began hemming and hawing again...

Time for a ramble:

From the 1970s through the 1980s, there was constant talk of replacing the original Boston Garden (where the Celtics and Bruins played) with a new one because it was old and sucked. Occasional "it's coming" comments from various people in/around the Bruins or city government regularly appeared in the news while the wait dragged, but the more logical among us ultimately adopted a position expressed in the simple statement "let me know when they order the steel."

My point: I don't want to hear one more word about DOS until someone orders some Goddamn steel (and what is the novel-publishing equivalent of ordering the steel - should we be watching the schedules of his editor, of a particular printing facility, or what?)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

He did say that he would read the prologue before the end of the fundraiser (I don't know when the fundraiser ends...) at around 3:40:00 of this:

http://www.twitch.tv/videos/1228829048?

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Rothfuss needs to sort himself out. He’s clearly having big problems finishing, either because he doesn’t have the ability to pull it all together, or because the pressure of meeting readers’ expectations is driving him to paralysis or endless rewriting. But either way, he has to find a way past this self absorbed prima donna funk he’s in and work to finish the damned thing.

Whether that’s getting off social media or writing something completely different and coming back to it later, I have no idea. Maybe it will take another five years, or 10, or never. But I’m skeptical that DOS is anywhere close to done, or that we will ever see it published unless Rothfuss does something different from what he’s doing.
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Update: supposedly he'll read the prologue on Tuesday Dec 14, on which day he's also having some kind of Q&A re: book 3.

Someday...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Rothfuss needs to sort himself out. He’s clearly having big problems finishing, either because he doesn’t have the ability to pull it all together, or because the pressure of meeting readers’ expectations is driving him to paralysis or endless rewriting. But either way, he has to find a way past this self absorbed prima donna funk he’s in and work to finish the damned thing.

Whether that’s getting off social media or writing something completely different and coming back to it later, I have no idea. Maybe it will take another five years, or 10, or never. But I’m skeptical that DOS is anywhere close to done, or that we will ever see it published unless Rothfuss does something different from what he’s doing.
    He seems to spend a lot of time interacting with the fanbase on everything but #3; if I were in his shoes, I'd want to keep a lower profile and not have to spend so much time not discussing the single thing his audience cares most about.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

I feel for the guy. He went from being nobody to being one of the most successful and well-respected fantasy writers, on pretty much his first time out. He holds himself not just to his own high standards for Doors of Stone, but to his perceived fan expectations for it, which is nigh impossibly high. His lack of experience with fame, and with writing in general, has him always feeling the work is not good enough.

And I think social media has become a real trap for him - he obviously gets instant gratification and support from it, but its also a constant reminder of the very fans who expect the most from book three. You see his self-esteem swings in massive highs and lows, and he almost feels guilty about spending time with his family.

That's why I think he would do well to walk away from social media and the book for a while, and write something else. Just to prove to himself that he can write - and finish - something that he's happy with when he doesn't have the pall of book 3 looming over him. Or maybe not - maybe that's not how he works. But what he's doing now does not seem healthy or productive.

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why write when you can start an imprint?

SEATTLE, WASH., December 13, 2021—Grim Oak Press, the small press that published the award-winning anthology Unfettered, is partnering with #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Kingkiller Chronicle Patrick Rothfuss to create the new imprint, Underthing Press. https://grimoakpress.com/
    Looking for FAB8 CD Number 439

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Do not allow this post to raise your hopes.

[Any lies or misinformation contained herein do not originate with me; I'm merely the pipe helping to move what may well be sludge. I do so in the hope that this is the beginning of the end of our long wait.]

This is a "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy"-type thing, except that I don't personally know anyone involved (I also have one of these for Area 51, but I digress).

Now, hold your nose, and proceed carefully:

Someone on Reddit said that someone on Quora said The Doors of Stone is "at the editor and has a release date." [These comments do exist on the respective websites; as for their veracity, I make no claim. I suppose the very existence of the Quora comment means the Reddit comment qualifies as true, but perhaps everyone involved other than me knows it is a fake and the entire chain, on both sites, is intended to wind us up - so, join me in remaining unwound.]

The "someone" on Quora has the username Mercedes Lackey. I've never heard of her, but others say (and what won't "others" say?) that the real Mercedes Lackey works with Rothfuss' editor, would therefore be in a position to know this, and isn't known for starting or spreading bullshit rumors. But as I said, I've never heard of her and know none of this to be true or false, nor do I know if this Quora user is the real Lackey (that's probably the biggest question here).

Many of you are in, or have connections to, the publishing industry; I'd be interested to know if any of you have any knowledge of Lackey, whether this was really her, etc.

The Quora comment: https://www.quora.com/Will-atheists-...comment_type=2

The Quora profile page of the user in question: https://www.quora.com/profile/Mercedes-R-Lackey

My Mood
    Yeehaw

An update to the above post, which either punctures the whole thing, or makes it a bit more intriguing:

Lackey responded to questions, not with a comment, but with a link to the Amazon link for The Slow Regard of Silent Things, the implication possibly being that she was thinking of Slow Regard as Kingkiller book 3, and while it is that in a sense, it is not being waited for by anyone as it was released almost 8 years ago.

One way to view this: there's nothing more to this than that Lackey made a simple mistake in confusing Slow Regard with Doors of Stone and we can all go back to listening for whispers in the void for DOS hints.

A 2nd way to view this: Lackey intentionally refrained from making an actual comment ("sorry for the trouble, gang - I know nothing of Doors of Stone") because she does in fact have the DOS info she previously related and didn't want to lie about that and/or doesn't want to start a new conversation surrounding the words she chooses for the denial (denial via Amazon link being the simpler denial).

I like the second one, but that may be because, well, I like the second one.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

New novella “The Narrow Road Between Desires” coming on November 14:

https://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/202...n-three-parts/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7