Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Vinyl Records

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I don't know what half speed means, I just copied it from the site, I suppose I could look it up. Something to do with the groovy grooves I suppose. There is a clear vinyl version of the same title I still need to order.

My father used to work in the Oldbru brewery many, many years ago (I'm guessing in the 1930s) and that's one of two surviving empty bottles we have (my brother has the other). The label is extremely fragile. I think it's (hic!) worth a lot of money, maybe as high as $32.98. In my entire life I've maybe drunk a half a bottle of beer. Never liked the stuff.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Rush MOVING PICTURES 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe set.
    I'm not a huge Rush fan but I could not resist this big box.
    It has CDs, LPs, a model car, guitar picks, drumsticks and who knows what else inside a rather large box.
    Even though it came a box in a box and was inside the manufacturer's original box, I can still hear items rattling around inside when I move it. I wasn't really planning on opening it, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts.
    It's always something!

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    Rush MOVING PICTURES 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe set.
    I'm not a huge Rush fan but I could not resist this big box.
    It has CDs, LPs, a model car, guitar picks, drumsticks and who knows what else inside a rather large box.
    Even though it came a box in a box and was inside the manufacturer's original box, I can still hear items rattling around inside when I move it. I wasn't really planning on opening it, but now I'm having 2nd thoughts.
    It's always something!

Sorry, but I fucking HATE this band!!!! I don't find ANY of their tracks remotely redeeming. I also hate how everyone fawns iver, Neil Pert as such the Penultimate drummers!! Ever heard of, Carl Palmer? lol I don't really have a valid basis for this hate just turn the station if they should come up in the FM/Satellite playlist. Next in line for bands I don't appreciate is, U2!!!!

Spoiler:
    Though I do like "Mysterious Ways". lol Shhhhuuuuussssshhhhh!!! lol

I guess I'm a Philistine!!! lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Don't be sorry, I also hate some rock bands.
    I used to always change the station when anything by YES came on, but then they released 90125. I LOVE that album!

I suppose that, I too (big sigh), am the owner of a lonely heart...(sniffle)

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is fine to not like certain bands. I happen to love Rush, but your opinion is yours and cannot be considered invalid. Moving Pictures was my first Rush album. That seems like so long ago.

I think It is difficult to compare drummers from different eras. Drum kits have changed so much in the last 70 years. You look at the kits played by Buddy Rich, Ringo Starr, and Keith Moon, compared to today’s setups and wonder if modern drummers could play as well on those older kits.

Neil Peart was different in a few ways. He didn’t just “play drums”. His setup was made up of so many different types of percussion instruments. Watching him move from drum to wood block to chimes to whatever else he had back there was simply amazing. On top of that, he wrote the lyrics for Rush, so his contributions to the band were that much more important. He was definitely one of the best of all time.

One last thing…I remember seeing Yes on the Big Generator tour in college. Only half the arena was filled, about 4000 fans. They decided that since we showed up to see them, they would give us a show. Must have played for over three hours. Great memories….

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    It is fine to not like certain bands. I happen to love Rush, but your opinion is yours and cannot be considered invalid. Moving Pictures was my first Rush album. That seems like so long ago.

I think It is difficult to compare drummers from different eras. Drum kits have changed so much in the last 70 years. You look at the kits played by Buddy Rich, Ringo Starr, and Keith Moon, compared to today’s setups and wonder if modern drummers could play as well on those older kits.

Neil Peart was different in a few ways. He didn’t just “play drums”. His setup was made up of so many different types of percussion instruments. Watching him move from drum to wood block to chimes to whatever else he had back there was simply amazing. On top of that, he wrote the lyrics for Rush, so his contributions to the band were that much more important. He was definitely one of the best of all time.

One last thing…I remember seeing Yes on the Big Generator tour in college. Only half the arena was filled, about 4000 fans. They decided that since we showed up to see them, they would give us a show. Must have played for over three hours. Great memories….
    Have you ever listened to, ELP and Carl Palmer? Palmer, played his kit like no other drummer around (His era coincides with, Pert I believe ). He is so amazing he actually was part of the melody at times. try "Karn-rvil No. 0" on their live album, "Welcome back my friends". of course, as you state that is JMHO as a former drummer.

kits have evolved since the days of, Moon (and his drums filled with goldfish!! LOL), Starr and Baker for sure. One of the main innovations added is the electronic drums now featured by many drummers. It's a different sound and level of integration and innovation is increased but, as Moon once sais when asked how many drums were in his kit. "As many as I can hit". At some point traditional or electronic it boils down to how many you can effectively hit!! lol lol

Interesting discussion though. Thanks for bringing it up!!!

Edit: Of course, ELP didn't enjoy the same level of popularity that, RUSH did. Hence the "dis" to, Carl Palmer and nod to, Neil Pert.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Looks like I "drummed" up a discussion.

Arf, arf, arf.

I know nearly zilch about playing music (I took guitar lessons a million years ago and forgot all I learned), but the drumming that impressed me was on King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man (particularly the alternate versions on the anniversary editions), and the movie Whiplash (whether real or not).
    Shows what little I know, right?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks like I "drummed" up a discussion.

Arf, arf, arf.

I know nearly zilch about playing music (I took guitar lessons a million years ago and forgot all I learned), but the drumming that impressed me was on King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man (particularly the alternate versions on the anniversary editions), and the movie Whiplash (whether real or not).
    Shows what little I know, right?
    Right. lol Actually, King Crimson had a very good drummer as well. I forget his name at the moment but he was good for sure.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

I looked him up.
    Michael Giles, 80, still with us.

I just recently found out that Walmart also does exclusive vinyl issues.
    I found this LET IT BE with 4 collectible prints today in their very badly displayed LP section:

Patricia Andrzejewski's ICON, clear blue vinyl Walmart exclusive, plus 5 CDs from Amazon, all sent crushed in a flimsy wrapper, damn them. However, not unexpected.

MOVING PICTURES limited Red Vinyl
    Hurry Bill before they're sold out!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's the list of special offerings for Record Store Day which is tomorrow.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Thanks for that Brian.
    I wasn't even aware of it.
    I snagged the Blondie and Doors sets on E-Bay, having no idea if I paid too much or not, but there are no stores around here so that was about my only option.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just ordered Kirk Hammett's EP Portals from the MetStore.

Truthfully, never heard of him, but it looks peachy keen.

Country
    Country Flag

Truthfully, never heard of him, but it looks peachy keen.
    He's the guitarist for Metallica.

This is his first solo endeavor. Four instrumental pieces.

I've heard of Metallica, don't they do weddings and bar mitzvahs?
    For some reason I do not have anything at all by Metallica. I sort of like them but never bought anything.
    High Plains Drifter, one of my favorite Eastwood movies.

If you play this REAL LOUD with your sub-woofer dial on 10 out of 10, after you have your house rebuilt and your hearing aid put back in, you'll thank me.

Country
    Country Flag

For some reason I do not have anything at all by Metallica. I sort of like them but never bought anything.

If you play this REAL LOUD with your sub-woofer dial on 10 out of 10, after you have your house rebuilt and your hearing aid put back in, you'll thank me.

You have to remove the s from https to make the video work on this cutting edge platform.

Aha!
    I did not know that!
    Voila! It works!
    Thanks.

Here's the two vinyls I bought on E-Bay from Record Store Day 2022.
    Now I wish I'd jumped on the Angelo Badalamenti, The Human League and a few others while they were still relatively inexpensive, but I'm quite happy with these:

Country
    Country Flag

Nice! I should have bought more too. I didn't learn about it until two minutes before I posted here. Every time I looked at the list I saw another thing I was interested in.

My order for Portals should be here Monday.

I went back to E-Bay for yet another check and found some more not too bad offers!
    The only one that's now too expensive, in my opinion anyway, is The Human League, and I can't find one for sale in the USA. But if I'm patient one may still show up.
    I'm also interested in the Ennio Moriconne albums, but they seem a bit scarce.
    I ordered four more from different sources and am hoping they get here unscathed.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Turn it to 11!!

We LOVE YOU CLEVELAND!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I went back to E-Bay for yet another check and found some more not too bad offers!
    The only one that's now too expensive, in my opinion anyway, is The Human League, and I can't find one for sale in the USA. But if I'm patient one may still show up.
    I'm also interested in the Ennio Moriconne albums, but they seem a bit scarce.
    I ordered four more from different sources and am hoping they get here unscathed.

Awwan. I really enjoy Human League.
    Your taste in music is impeccable!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast