Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Collecting Vinyl Records

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Recent scores:

The LP in the middle of the lower row is Boris & Merzbow collaboration. It's one 60 minute song. Pretty boring on its own but great background when reading horror. It's totally unobtrusive. It's very minimalistic music and most of the sounds are just effects and drone ambience. Pretty unique stuff.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have an absolutely fantastic collection of metal LPs. Loaded them up on CD's site.

The Priest collection:

My entire 7" collection (and a square picture disc in the top right corner), or at least the majority of it, may have added a couple more since taking the picture.

And a selection of favourites and rarities:

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

OOOH!

I saw Flotsam and Jetsam and Powermad! Was there any Sacred Reich? I love Surf Nicaragua. I saw deep switch!

There are rumors that I am an Iron Maiden fan.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have been entirely absent from these boards for what feels like ages. But, I've been busy with my vinyl collection and it's almost doubled in size due to a few big purchases.

We haven't really talked "set ups" yet, so lets see your stereo systems,

Here's a complete component stereo (complete with Technics stand) I picked up on the weekend:
    Toshiba Turntable
    Technics receiver
    Technics Cassette Player
    Technics Speakers
    Magnavox CD Player (the weak link in this set up)

The set up that was my "main" playing station, before I picked up all of the above;
    Consists of a vintage 70's Yamaha receiver, an inexpensive belt drive turntable, and some big Technics floor speakers. Paired with a Pioneer CD player:

and lastly, my bedroom set up;
    Dual 1010 turntable in an integrated Sony body, using an old JVC CD player as a receiver and outputting to to JVC shelf speakers which aren't pictured:

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    OOOH!

Did you get that box set reissue? I think it's 3 LPs per box. The box itself isn't anything grand but it looks clean and presentable.

I'll be picking up a box of records from my US shipping address this weekend.

System, did you get that narrow bookcase from Ikea? I have that much space in my living room and a ton of overflow rekkids that I've stashed away anywhere I could.

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nope! That's a Value Village special, it's actually a head board that I ran vertically rather than horizontally. It's not perfect, but for $12? No complaints.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I have been entirely absent from these boards for what feels like ages. But, I've been busy with my vinyl collection and it's almost doubled in size due to a few big purchases.

We haven't really talked "set ups" yet, so lets see your stereo systems,

Here's a complete component stereo (complete with Technics stand) I picked up on the weekend:
    Toshiba Turntable
    Technics receiver
    Technics Cassette Player
    Technics Speakers
    Magnavox CD Player (the weak link in this set up)

The set up that was my "main" playing station, before I picked up all of the above;
    Consists of a vintage 70's Yamaha receiver, an inexpensive belt drive turntable, and some big Technics floor speakers. Paired with a Pioneer CD player:

and lastly, my bedroom set up;
    Dual 1010 turntable in an integrated Sony body, using an old JVC CD player as a receiver and outputting to to JVC shelf speakers which aren't pictured:
    Very impressive!!! Just by way of conversation I never cared for "Technics" receivers. Turntable's, cassette players they offer a great product, nut I like Onkyo for a receiver. Now speakers, it's Bose or nothing. I have three different sets of Bose speakers, two clock radio's and headphones. I remember back in 1986, when NYC had the Bicentennial, Bose had a booth with this massive system in very little light. The sound was phenomenal and at the end it turned out that the "System" was a cardboard facade and what we were listening to was the Bose clock radio. I swore to only listen to Bose from that day forward. LOL

So, it's Bose or the hose for me!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Just noticed the NWA album!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    OOOH!

Did you get that box set reissue? I think it's 3 LPs per box. The box itself isn't anything grand but it looks clean and presentable.
    No really I didn't hear. I was rather distracted by Bruce's cancer battle. Just waiting until May to hear good news on him. I'll look into it. Thanks, Lead.

Country
    Country Flag

Just noticed the NWA album!
    Yeah one of my hauls included some late 80's rap in fantastic shape. Eazy-e, Ice Cube, NWA, Kid n Play, I got 6 or 8 all told.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I thought I had a lot of nice vinyl but you guys put me to shame! And my turntable's busted (won't stop running when plugged in) and I don't know where to get it fixed!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

OOOH!

I saw Flotsam and Jetsam and Powermad! Was there any Sacred Reich? I love Surf Nicaragua. I saw deep switch!

Sorry missed this earlier. Just have the one Sacred Reich, not Surf Nicaragua though. I'll load up a pic of it with my newest addition.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah...just a bit obscure. I was hoping.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Bruce, that statue is freaking awesome!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Picked up a few things:

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Picked up a few things:
    Mostly just familiar with Agnostic Front of the bunch here. Mostly punk?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Newest addition, and the aforementioned Sacred Reich LP:

Might snap some pics of the few punk LPs I have too.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Newest addition, and the aforementioned Sacred Reich LP:

Might snap some pics of the few punk LPs I have too.

Country
    Country Flag

Theli,

Top left is Sunn O))) (named because they use walls of Sunn amps live) and it's anti-music IMO. It's droney, down-tuned stuff. Their best stuff is "Black One" and collaboration with Boris called Altars. Here's the full album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFLgJq1efU The thing with Sunn is that it's not really about the riff. They're more into creating oppressive vibes.

Next to Sunn is Pallbearer. Heavy riffs with mostly clean vocals. This is the record: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ArN...YenoGrCR7yx06f If names Neurosis, Baroness and Mastodon mean something, you might like them.

All the 7"es pictured are hardcore punk stuff except Iron Lung. They're a two-piece grind band. Give is melodic hardcore, think Revolution Summer bands from DC like Rites of Spring. This is a good song, it has a touch of Rival Schools/Quicksand to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktlQAmyoJA

Tragedy (next to AF) are one of the most respected DIY hardcore bands around. Everything they've done is flawless. All of their albums are on you Youtube, start with the first one and make your way through. I saw them in a squat in Toronto before their first LP came out and I can safely say that there have never been more jaws just hanging opening while they plowed through their set. This is their first LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6dItd8gA50 Don't let the acoustic guitar intro turn you off them. I don't say this often, but this band is INTENSE.

Earth Crisis (next to Tragedy) are a militant vegan straight edge band (so right up my alley). They started out as a metallic hardcore band but now are straight up metal. If Bolt Thrower and Pantera are your thing, you'll dig ExC. They've done great things for animal rights, appearing on major TV networks, playing Ozzfest and all over the planet. The album pictured is Neutralize the Threat but a good starting point is the 7" called Firestorm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlwYzCQfvuw The first song gets the most ridiculous sing-alongs at shows, like so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF75xSkSWGY

Here are the lyrics. It's crazy to think they wrote this when they were 21 or younger.

Street by street. Block by block. Taking it all back.
    The youth's immersed in poison--turn the tide
    counterattack. Violence against violence, let the roundups begin.
    A firestorm to purify the bane that society drowns in. No
    mercy, no exceptions, a declaration of total war.
    The innocents' defense is the reason it's waged for.
    Born addicted, beaten
    and neglected. Families torn apart, detroyed and abandoned.
    Children sell their bodies, from their high they fall to drown.
    Demons crazed by greed cut bystanders down.
    A chemically tainted welfare generation.
    Abslolute complete moral degeneration.
    Born addicted, beaten and neglected.
    Families torn apart, detroyed and abandoned.
    Children sell their bodies, from their high
    they fall to drown. Demons crazed by greed cut bystanders down.
    Corrupt politicians, corrupt enforcement, drug lords and
    dealers; all must fall. The helpless are crying out.
    We have risen to their call. A firestorm to purify.

I could talk about music all day but I think I've said enough already haha.
    https://youtu.be/DheeDyfCnmk

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I just love the look of the Sacred Reich LP. Too bad their biggest claim to fame is some time featured on film at the beginning of Pauly Shore's Encino Man.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Didn't notice Sunn O))) I'm familiar with them too (and most of the Southern Lord bands). Classic stoner/drone. Not specifically my style, but I do spin Sleep on occasion. I've also heard of Earth Crisis but have yet to give them a spin, not huge on Pantera but love me some early Bolt Thrower. Thanks for the info!

As for Sacred Reich, at least they got some screen time! There's too many great metal bands that were never given the light of day.

Country
    Country Flag

For Nirvana fans, Nevermind is being reissued again. Jump on that sweet, sweet low pre-order price on Amazon. I have the double LP re-issue of Bleach with a live LP. If the quality is even close to that, it'll be worth every penny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast